News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Why I hate the western martial arts community

Started by Don Coyote, September 06, 2010, 06:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

This is a rant most people won't give a shit about. So fucking what. And those that might have an opinion on this subject will most likely disagree with me. Again, so fucking what.

The biggest reason I hate the general western martial arts community is the rampant clichism and circle-jerking back-patting. Hurray you can translate medieval dialects of German or Italian. I mean that is fucking rad. I can barely understand modern German, and without your help I wouldn't be able to go, "dude you are fucking wrong here"

Which brings me to the next thing. Academics thinking that because they could translate some old books they are now qualified to teach martially sound interpretations of this old books. Dude, your fucking measure is wrong. Your timing is wrong. And wtf do you think you are doing cutting from guard to guard? Just an fyi, swords are metal. Metal is harder than skin. Guess which wins? Ya, the sword. You don;'t need to cut from fucking vom Tag to Alber or Nebenhut to kill someone. No really. I am sure once you cut about 12 inches into his chest from his clavicle he might not be able to fight. I'm pretty sure you can do that a blunt, never mind a sharp sword.

Oh and on that note. Test cutting. WHAT THE FUCK??? You wanted to break from EMA but now you are aping what bad JSA dojos do? Just an FYI sure it's fun, but the Japanese only did it to prove the BLADE. That is right douchebag. Test cutting is a test of the sword. Being able to cleanly cut a non-moving roll of soaking wet tatami doesn't really mean anything. Well it does. It means you are fixated on looking cool. Cuz it is fucking cool to cut shit with your fucking sword. I know this. It is. I used to love just practicing cuts. But just an FYI for you. You don't need to cleanly cut someone to fuck them up enough to make them dead. You aren't trying to fucking make a gourmet meal with exquisitely cut garnish. You are CUTTING ANOTHER PERSON INTO PIECES, or at least training as if you were going to.

Which brings me to unarmored sparring. Hey why not, I mean you are training to fight with swords, swords are sexy. Armor is expensive. So hey just use your blossfechten training with a minimum of training gear. Ya...no. You are going to start making compromises somewhere. You will start trying to pad your weapon, so it won't act like a steel blade, which matters for winding, which you practice right? So you start to add more protective gear, cuz you don't want to get crush fingers, but hey those gloves mean you don't have to the full dexterity in your hands. But hey all that can be trained around. But what's that? You don't want to bother even doing drills so you can internalize the techniques? You want to start fighting NAO? You are a douche. You one of those guys on youtube posting videos about how you understand Liechtenaurer but nothing you do matches up with anything any of the fechtbucher in that lineage ever showed. Even better, when you AREN'T 'sparring' your drills look exactly the way they "should". Ya you suck, you can't make your sparring bear more than a passing semblance to your drilling. So you are dishonest and impatient and LAZY. Just fucking drill more. It is not like your life is on the fucking line if you can't use this shit.

And Fiorites? You guys can piss off. Fiore has a lot of kick ass grappling. Everything is basically grappling in his books.

President Television

I have no idea what you're talking about for most of this, but I have to say that these guys sound like the hipsters of martial arts. So I can get why you'd have beef with them. Much sympathy.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Adios

Adios

On a more serious note few here in the US actually follow the intent behind martial arts. The philosophy that should be the foundation has been substituted by testing for the next level and by owners wanting to get you in competitions to make their name look better.

Also we tend to bastardize everything here.

The Johnny

I interpret that the asians have some cultural expressions that deal with "mind over matter".

Is it practical to smash a brick with your hand? Does it matter that you can cut the dummy-target hay in a straight line? What does unlighting a group of candles without hitting them with your sword even mean?

Its about a culture of technique and precision, which you seem to entirely miss the point on.

Which brings to mind the contrast between production of electronic goods between the USA and Japan:

"hey, it dont matter than 20% of our crap is useless, we can mass produce!" vs. "hey, we dont need to make as much if we do it right".

And by asians i mean the Japanese to think of it - China really took the USA production mentality to another scope.

Not so closely related, but, why do South Korean Starcraft gamers just about rape anyone that isnt asian?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Adios

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on September 06, 2010, 01:10:41 PM

I interpret that the asians have some cultural expressions that deal with "mind over matter".

Is it practical to smash a brick with your hand? Does it matter that you can cut the dummy-target hay in a straight line? What does unlighting a group of candles without hitting them with your sword even mean?

Its about a culture of technique and precision, which you seem to entirely miss the point on.

Which brings to mind the contrast between production of electronic goods between the USA and Japan:

"hey, it dont matter than 20% of our crap is useless, we can mass produce!" vs. "hey, we dont need to make as much if we do it right".

And by asians i mean the Japanese to think of it - China really took the USA production mentality to another scope.

Not so closely related, but, why do South Korean Starcraft gamers just about rape anyone that isnt asian?

Ever hear of discipline?

The Johnny

Surely, technique and precision are related to discipline, althought i wouldnt say they are the same thing.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Doktor Howl

Bruce Lee had the same bitch about Chinese martial arts.  Too formalized, not enough emphasis on, you know, winning a fight.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 06, 2010, 05:14:28 PM
Bruce Lee had the same bitch about Chinese martial arts.  Too formalized, not enough emphasis on, you know, winning a fight.

I never used martial farts in a fight. I know some, but in a really for real fight? Fuck that noise.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 05:28:52 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 06, 2010, 05:14:28 PM

I never used martial farts in a fight. I know some, but in a really for real fight? Fuck that noise.

I've known a few guys that can actually pull it off.

Of course, that means they really have no time for anything else.

Dok,
Just pistol whips people.
Molon Lube

Adios

I've known 2 guys who could pull it off. The rest usually just look like retards while telegraphing every move 5 minutes ahead of time.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 05:49:00 PM
I've known 2 guys who could pull it off. The rest usually just look like retards while telegraphing every move 5 minutes ahead of time.

There's a good internet video where the guy does the whole Neo bit...And then DOES kick the guy's ass.   :lulz:

Martial arts work for the same reason boxing does.  You practice so much that you have muscle memory that lets you react by "instinct" in a fight, when most people get all fucked up from adrenaline and trying to think their way through it.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 06, 2010, 05:51:10 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 05:49:00 PM

There's a good internet video where the guy does the whole Neo bit...And then DOES kick the guy's ass.   :lulz:

Martial arts work for the same reason boxing does.  You practice so much that you have muscle memory that lets you react by "instinct" in a fight, when most people get all fucked up from adrenaline and trying to think their way through it.

Exactly, if it's a lifestyle thing with daily practice then, D/N/T.

East Coast Hustle

the only time I actually used to enjoy getting in a physical confrontation when I was a bouncer was when some fool decided to bust out his "kung fu" or "taekwondo", the practical result of which was almost always that they left themselves open for a punch to the solar plexus and/or a wristlock.

I think,however, that Cudgel is referring to swordfighting rather than hand-to-hand combat. While swordfighting looks really cool when done well, it's really no match for my .380 semi-auto.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"