News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

an argument for a deflationary policy in the You Ess of Heeeeey

Started by Disco Pickle, September 06, 2010, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 06, 2010, 08:05:52 PM
They're going to have to start thinking rationally about their finances, or fail.  as they should.  Those of us who live within our means should not have to suffer for the ones who do not.

And what about those of us who have no means at all? What's your stance on government financial aid?

Adios

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 06, 2010, 09:20:19 PM
They're going to have to start thinking rationally about their finances, or fail.  as they should.  Those of us who live within our means should not have to suffer for the ones who do not.

And what about those of us who have no means at all? What's your stance on government financial aid?

You/we are the dregs of society and we have brought it on ourselves and we deserve it. Now STFU and starve quietly please, Idol is on.

Freeky

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 09:22:04 PM
They're going to have to start thinking rationally about their finances, or fail.  as they should.  Those of us who live within our means should not have to suffer for the ones who do not.

You/we are the dregs of society and we have brought it on ourselves and we deserve it. Now STFU and starve quietly please, Idol is on.

Now, now, Charlie. I just entered the debate and want to hear what he has to say.

I'm hoping it isn't going to be a wall o' text that essentially says nothing, but I'll deal if it is.

Phox

They're going to have to start thinking rationally about their finances, or fail.  as they should.  Those of us who live within our means should not have to suffer for the ones who do not.

My prediction: Against.  :evil:

Adios

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 06, 2010, 09:24:36 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 09:22:04 PM

Now, now, Charlie. I just entered the debate and want to hear what he has to say.

I'm hoping it isn't going to be a wall o' text that essentially says nothing, but I'll deal if it is.

Fair enough.

Freeky

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 06, 2010, 09:24:57 PM

As the token Friendly Chick of PD, I have to, in fairness, give this guy a chance before I jump down his throat.

Phox

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 06, 2010, 09:26:21 PM

As the token Friendly Chick of PD, I have to, in fairness, give this guy a chance before I jump down his throat.

Fair enough, but I was just guessing to his answer based on his content in the rest of the thread and in the SS thread.

Freeky

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 06, 2010, 09:27:48 PM

Fair enough, but I was just guessing to his answer based on his content in the rest of the thread and in the SS thread.

Oh yeah, I totally get that. But I just wanted to make sure he's a shit that's his stance before I go off on him.

Phox

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 06, 2010, 09:29:44 PM

Oh yeah, I totally get that. But I just wanted to make sure he's a shit that's his stance before I go off on him.

Ok then. We will see what he has to say.

Adios

You skeered our toy away.

Freeky

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

:lulz: What? It was an honest question! I wanted to play too, but I needed to get my teeth sunk in before I started thrashing around, yanno?

Adios

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 06, 2010, 09:36:48 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

:lulz: What? It was an honest question! I wanted to play too, but I needed to get my teeth sunk in before I started thrashing around, yanno?

:lulz:

Disco Pickle

After whatever recovery from this recession we will have, the inflation inherent in the system that pumped trillions of dollars in will begin to manifest in the sorts of conditions that existed in the 70's..  except there will not likely be as many people demanding higher wages, as there will not be as many people working.  Stagflation of the economy, while always a potential risk, will likely only be garden variety high inflation, while wages stay stagnant.

QuoteParagraph 1.
Pure speculation. Since we're not really real Discordians we insist you back drivel up with some form of realistic facts.

The data is out there.  There's arguments on both sides for the possibility of high inflation.. Usually from the sorts of economists who got the hell out of paper and dumped everything into commodities.  I'll dig up links if this is necessary, though I am not trying to change opinion, I am trying to get new ideas that change my own.  you fucks keep forgetting that.

QuoteThe Fed will have to raise interest rates, like Volker did in the 80's, to rein in the money supply.  The cost of borrowing will go up, while encouraging more savings as interest rates rise.  This should be sustained as reasonably as possible, allowing the prices of goods, property, etc to come down to levels that resemble reality based on the prevailing wage and people's ability to borrow against their own collateral and savings.  

Quote:cn:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/englund/englund10.html

(may be discounted out of hand because it appeard on lewrockwell's site, him being all libertard and all.)

http://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/es/09/ES0930.pdf

I can post more cites for my conclusion if you like.

QuoteCombine this with a push to buy up a large amount of our own countries reserves being held in foreign banks and return them to this country as collateral, reducing our debt pile, including buying a significant amount of China's Silver reserves (assuming they're still on the market) and giving this country a firm financial base on which to stand, maybe for the first time in decades.

not sure what you're  :lulz: means, but with lack of real response, I'll take to mean it sounds funny..   without being able to understand the effect it would have.

QuoteParagraph 4.
Study Economics. Upturns and downturns are necessary evils, they will always be with us.

upturns and downturns are evils "in the system we have" that is highly inflationary, with no push to rationalize wages in relation.

YOU should read more and get back to me on a solution that fixes this.

QuoteWe cannot compete in the global market with countries like china and Mexico providing much lower labor costs, without trying to bring our own cost of labor down.  The only rational way to do that is to lower prices in a controlled manner and allow wages to fall behind them.  If Inflation has always out paced wages, then the rational push to be competitive is to let wages follow deflation of the dollar.

yeah, it's fucking MAGIC..  like you do with computers..  when you increase a balance sheet from nothing.

you offer nothing to the discussion with this answer.

QuoteParagraph 6.
At least you almost admitted money doesn't exist. But the rest is repetitive nonsense.

That is the basis of all of the previous arguments and the basis for my argument in general.

sorry, I had to do some things, and this is posted after any idea's I've yet to read and digest since I have posted it... now.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Adios

Dear Pickle. Oh, dear Pickle.

What ever posses you to actually think people won't demand higher wages? I am sure all the college grads entering the workforce with student loans to pay off, etc, will be happy to jump on your rat filled sinking ship. Won't they?

Are we discussing cities or a national economy? I am on a lot of meds so you have to go easy with me, I tend to lose track of conversations.

Honestly, do you think the 80's was the last time the Fed raised the prime? Also the return on savings is so minimal that no one uses it anymore hardly.

As far as Paragraph 3...well...where do we get this magical money to buy all of that? Borrow it?  :? What makes you think they want us to buy it back, or even if they would let us?

I should get back to you with a solution for this? Why? My job is to protect it from the likes of you. You want it changed then get back on the ground and get reasonable.

So, if I am reading this correctly, you desire to lower wages to 3rd world status so we can compete?  :?
And what is rational about lowering prices and wages? Do you completely understand what you are suggesting? This would require federal control on both, substantially increasing the size of the government, or is that what you are proposing? Force us to all rely on the State? There is a word for that...it's right on the tip of my tongue....