News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

an argument for a deflationary policy in the You Ess of Heeeeey

Started by Disco Pickle, September 06, 2010, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 06, 2010, 09:24:57 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 06, 2010, 09:20:19 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 06, 2010, 08:05:52 PM
They're going to have to start thinking rationally about their finances, or fail.  as they should.  Those of us who live within our means should not have to suffer for the ones who do not.

And what about those of us who have no means at all? What's your stance on government financial aid?

My prediction: Against.  :evil:

no means at all is pretty vague.  are you disabled? in that case, there should be a social means for taking care of the least of us. 

still reading the rest of these replies,  even you asses who suggest since I can't completely articulate my views on Hobbes, somehow all of my arguments are null and void...  like you fucks are complete well versed on every political and economic theory EVER..  I mean, right?
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 06, 2010, 10:15:14 PM
They're going to have to start thinking rationally about their finances, or fail.  as they should.  Those of us who live within our means should not have to suffer for the ones who do not.

And what about those of us who have no means at all? What's your stance on government financial aid?

no means at all is pretty vague.  are you disabled? in that case, there should be a social means for taking care of the least of us. 

still reading the rest of these replies,  even you asses who suggest since I can't completely articulate my views on Hobbes, somehow all of my arguments are null and void...  like you fucks are complete well versed on every political and economic theory EVER..  I mean, right?

Well then, down to name calling.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 10:16:40 PM

Well then, down to name calling.

nooo..  I'm 2 drinks in from my initial post..   emotions run high, you know?   

Still digesting some of this and modifying my positions..   digesting your last one in particular CB..

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Phox

Funny thing about Hobbes. His theories are such that you either agree or disagree. There is no "Hobbes is partly right", because of what he is arguing. So, if you need time to articulate your views you either don't know what he said, or you don't realize he has an absolute viewpoint, which is even worse. I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, I am well-versed in a great deal of political theories, because that used to be my choice of study, before I got all philosophical and switched over. But even now I study the philosophy of politics and law, and political theories and philosophies when given the chance.
:lulz:

Disco Pickle

as an expansion on this, I think the net should be there, and would gladly accept it with certain modifications:

drug tests for recipients, and anyone who comes up positive, gets thrown into rehab.  The family unit stays the same, but education is ramped up on what happens to their children when they just can't seem to quit.  This is personal to me, as my parents couldn't maintain their own life, much less raise two childred, while they snorted and smoked cocaine.

I raised myself, and so did my sister.  we came from nothing and are doing awesome considering our hurdles.  anyone who wants to argue against this as being unrealistic and a burden on the addicted, how it's not their fault they're addicted..  fuck you.  I present myself and my sister as examples in which to follow.

If you have not the means, through reasons other than addiction to some fucking chemical, then fuck yeah, I'll gladly contribute..  you're doing it right, and your children will actually have a family, however tenuous.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 06, 2010, 10:27:00 PM

Funny thing about Hobbes. His theories are such that you either agree or disagree. There is no "Hobbes is partly right", because of what he is arguing. So, if you need time to articulate your views you either don't know what he said, or you don't realize he has an absolute viewpoint, which is even worse. I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, I am well-versed in a great deal of political theories, because that used to be my choice of study, before I got all philosophical and switched over. But even now I study the philosophy of politics and law, and political theories and philosophies when given the chance.
:lulz:

ONE MAN, ONE IDEA!

I'm going to still have to reread everything I read about him..   I read fast, and I'll get back to you.  I can't have remembered everything over the years.   Hell, part of the reason I even signed up here was to be reminded of ideas I may have forgotten.

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 06, 2010, 10:31:44 PM

as an expansion on this, I think the net should be there, and would gladly accept it with certain modifications:

drug tests for recipients, and anyone who comes up positive, gets thrown into rehab.  The family unit stays the same, but education is ramped up on what happens to their children when they just can't seem to quit.  This is personal to me, as my parents couldn't maintain their own life, much less raise two childred, while they snorted and smoked cocaine.

I raised myself, and so did my sister.  we came from nothing and are doing awesome considering our hurdles.  anyone who wants to argue against this as being unrealistic and a burden on the addicted, how it's not their fault they're addicted..  fuck you.  I present myself and my sister as examples in which to follow.

If you have not the means, through reasons other than addiction to some fucking chemical, then fuck yeah, I'll gladly contribute..  you're doing it right, and your children will actually have a family, however tenuous.

I'm going to let Freeky take the rest of this one, but with cutting social services just who is going to pay for all of those drug tests and education?

Kai

Charley, everyone knows that drug tests and education are free. Hell, we're forced into school for years and the police /always/ have drug tests on hand, so they MUST be free!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 06, 2010, 10:36:36 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 06, 2010, 10:31:44 PM

I'm going to let Freeky take the rest of this one, but with cutting social services just who is going to pay for all of those drug tests and education?

This argument relies on the likely hood that drug prohibition will remain in place and allow a black market to flourish, addicting more and more people through proliferation..  I'm not saying there are not problems to be addressed in the current system.  I completely shoot of on a tangent when I say that education of everyone in the country should be a social issue that demands much more money and resources, more acutely placed and researched in order to put them to their best use.

from where that money should come?

For the record, I'm offering this off the cuff, without further research, but why not from legalizing certain drugs..  non-opiate based or cocaine based drugs, and taxing the hell out of them?  

then regulating the pharmaceutical industry where it's just not so damn easy to get your Oxycontin??  

for the record, the more I enjoy my day off, the more I'm imbibing, and the more I may not have the most thought out opinions..  but I'm still trying.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Kai on September 06, 2010, 10:44:40 PM
Charley, everyone knows that drug tests and education are free. Hell, we're forced into school for years and the police /always/ have drug tests on hand, so they MUST be free!

We know what drug tests cost.  business and municipal police pay these costs to private companies.  Funny thing, the cost of drug testing has gone down with competition in the market.  

that stupid, stupid market.

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 06, 2010, 10:51:37 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 06, 2010, 10:44:40 PM

We know what drug tests cost.  business and municipal police pay these costs to private companies.  Funny thing, the cost of drug testing has gone down with competition in the market.  

that stupid, stupid market.

Oh for fucks sake.
PC's would be a better example if you need one. But it's still a strawman.

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Adios

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on September 06, 2010, 10:55:42 PM
who is arguing against the market?

My case is the market is not willingly going to lower prices. Pickles bring up a relatively new market with no competition, then cites it as supporting his stand when competition suddenly shows up.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish