Main Menu

there is no "correct" motorcycle

Started by the last yatto, September 07, 2010, 07:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Quote from: BadBeast on September 07, 2010, 04:50:11 PM
Quote from: Pēleus on September 07, 2010, 03:15:05 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on August 29, 2010, 10:32:24 PM
If the Motorcycle you are riding, reveals itself to be incorrect, then the best option is to dismount immediately. The later you leave it, the moar it's going to hurt. It's no good just pressing on onwards towards your destination, and hoping nobody will notice. They will. And they will notice that you noticed too If you arrived here with any credibility, be prepared to it all. The correct Motorcycle can only be found by lurking around there forum, and paying attention. And even then, it's not a guaranteed thing. Good luck.  

What if the motorcycle wasn't really correct in the sense of being wrong or incorrect but how well it runs or if it needs repair. Some cycles burn oil, some have a bad muffler and others have a loose chain or a broken head light.
In that case, then it's really a judgement call, if it's general roadworthiness seems to be a little wanting, then that would not necessarily preclude it's eventual arrival at the expected destination. However, if it clearly hasn't got a chance of limping another mile or two, then it would probably be prudent to stop and attempt a little roadside maintenance. If it's state of repair is beyond your expertise to significantly extend it's useful life, then it might be better to cut your losses, and wait for a bus. Then, when a motorcycle with sufficient correctness quotient presents itself, you will be able to decide objectively whether to continue to your destination on said vehicle, or just stay on the bus. There are a lot more factors to consider IN ventures like this, than many people realise, so it's best to make the most informed decision you can. Then, when you are decided upon a course, you must bear in mind that many factors are impossible to take into consideration, (earthquakes, Zombies, etc) so there is always an uncertainty that keeps you constantly looking out for another potentiality.
Hope this helps.  8)

:pax: I claim this theory in the name of discordia
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BadBeast

However, if you want a Motorcycle that will at least, be correct most of the time, and never, to my knowledge be the wrong Motorcycle, might I suggest the Yamaha XT650?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Doktor Howl

Incorrect.  This is in fact the correct :motorcycle:
Molon Lube

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 04, 2010, 01:24:24 AM
Incorrect.  This is in fact the correct :motorcycle:
That little fairy bike? That's what Santa's little Elf helpers ride around the toy factory on! THIS, is a proper motorcycle!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Doktor Howl

Oh, yeah.

You're new.   :lulz:

THERE IS ONLY ONE MOTORCYCLE, AND IT IS YOUR MOTORCYCLE.  ONLY THROUGH YOUR MOTORCYCLE SHALL YE BE STUCK IN THE MUD.
\
:winner:
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BadBeast on November 04, 2010, 01:41:44 AM
That little fairy bike? That's what Santa's little Elf helpers ride around the toy factory on! THIS, is a proper motorcycle!

Awfully ugly, innit?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

the last yatto

just because there is no "correct" motorcycle but there sure as fuck a wrong ones. No one takes a crotch rocket to a biker bar, just like someone doesn't take a dirt bike to a race track, unless there is mud.

Each cycle needs maintence to run properly...
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BadBeast

Quote from: First City Hustle on November 04, 2010, 03:31:26 AM
Quote from: BadBeast on November 04, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Awfully ugly, innit?
It is a bit, but it's a Triumph. They scrub up quite well as Chops too though.

BadBeast

A few years ago, my Mate restored a 1940's Indian 841, in his front room. Now that was a terribly correct motorcycle. It was only ever used in a Carny "Wall of Death" Show, and it had been standing unused for 20 years.  He had to machine any parts he couldn't get hold of himself, but he took it right back to showroom condition. Beautiful bike, loads more class than a Harley. Which isn't hard, going by the reputation Harleys have here for being overpriced, unreliable, unwieldy, and just plain ugly. But Indians are beautiful. And genuine American Classics.

Kai

The only people in this thread that are riding the correct motorcycle are ECH and Roger.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

the last yatto

Motorcycle Maintenance Without the Zen
How Pirsig's Mistakes About Atheism Continue Today
by Chris Edwards
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-04-28/#feature

Cramulus

Quote from: Able on January 06, 2011, 09:02:01 PM
Motorcycle Maintenance Without the Zen
How Pirsig's Mistakes About Atheism Continue Today
by Chris Edwards
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-04-28/#feature

That was a poorly constructed article - I'm not sure that this Chris Edwards guy actually understood Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

For one, the writer is coming from a position which treats schizophrenia and religious faith as the same thing. Which is rather naive.

Second, the book has jack squat to do with atheism - the writer is making a big leap to frame Pirsig's critique of scientific materialism as an attack on atheism. Pirsig doesn't even make a full attack on scientific materialism, his goal is to reunify it with aesthetics.

Epimetheus

to argue against zen is to misunderstand zen.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Cramulus

the book's not really about zen either

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS