News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

The real solution to the economic crisis

Started by Cain, September 09, 2010, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Ok, I understand.  I'm kind of a doofus when it comes to economics.

Cain

Most economics is complicated jargon masquerading as a fiendishly difficult to understand science.

Once you eliminate the jargon, it becomes a lot easier to understand.

LMNO

If a country said, "screw this, we ain't payin'," could that be considered a hostile act, and spark a war?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 09, 2010, 04:42:48 PM
If a country said, "screw this, we ain't payin'," could that be considered a hostile act, and spark a war?

Probably depends on who says it. If the US said that, it would probably not spark a war, just a complete global financial collapse that would kill more people than a war.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 09, 2010, 04:42:48 PM

Maybe, but unlikely.  More likely, it would would encourage further defaults.

Elder Iptuous

Simply because a keyword is absent from this thread thus far:

Jubilee

the disruption that this would cause would be fantastic...
i support it.

Salty

I really enjoyed this.
It comforts me to know that there's a perfectly good solution that nobody is using.

Why don't they, again? Where does this indoctrination, that paying the loan will make it all better, come from? The subprime crisis being the start, did international lenders, and/or the US who gave the bailouts, say, "ok, we'll take that for you. Make the check payable to..." or is it some moral/ethical concept everyone just accepts for no good reason

Is it a bit of both?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

Thanks Iptuous.

Alty, that's a good question.  The only rooted moral objection related to loans in Judeo-Christian culture that I can recall is ursury, so it's definitely not an old phenomenon.

My belief is that it has to do with Chicago School style neoliberalism, or at least a vulgarized version of it popular in certain financial policy circles.  They're ideologically disposed towards cutting government spending, which isn't always a bad thing, but is when it's your only solution to every single financial problem.  And of course part of cutting government spending involves selling off public services, usually very cheaply, there is a significant business interest in making sure the government feels panicked about loans.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 09, 2010, 03:52:42 PM
You know, I never really understood the whole point behind Third World Debt Forgiveness other than just being nice.

There's also the consideration that a lot of the third world debt was racked up by dictators that overthrew (somewhat) legitimate governments, and left their bills to the country after they finally died/were overthrown (Liberia and Haiti for example).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Adios

Eater of Clowns

I, for one, agree to forgive all debts held to me in exchange for being forgiven all I'm owe.

EoC,
Just made 60k hypothetical dollars.

Seriously though Cain, this was a good read, thanks.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Very interesting.

Are there any mainstream advocates of this position?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Requia ☣

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 09, 2010, 11:23:45 PM
I, for one, agree to forgive all debts held to me in exchange for being forgiven all I'm owe.

EoC,
Just made 60k hypothetical dollars.

Seriously though Cain, this was a good read, thanks.

I'm slightly less comfortable with it, as the only American left who has more money in savings than in debt.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Elder Iptuous

are you owed money, such that you would lose out were a widespread debt forgiveness declared?

Cain

You should take out 20-30 massive loans right now, just in case they delcare a debt amnesty tomorrow.

/winning streak of good financial advice officially over.