News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Chaos Theory

Started by The Great Pope of OUTSIDE, September 09, 2010, 07:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

First introduction to Discordianism was through Wiki, and although it and PD itself were rather clear on some things, the Chaos Theory was not one of them.

What I've figured out is that chaos is pure potential. It somehow lies "underneath" the grid that makes up regular organized religion. Chaos is not disorder, or rather, disorder is a part of chaos but order is a part of chaos as well. And creation and destruction are also part of chaos. Given that chaos now has no known boundaries, what exactly IS chaos? How does it define life/physics/philosophy? Also, what role does Eris play as Goddess of Discordianism? And do you all have any different views of what the Chaos theory is?
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

Doktor Howl

Chaos theory is a mathematical term, dealing with multiple iterations breaking down the effectiveness of models.

And Eris is a horrible old crone who destroys civilizations over an insult not even delivered by a member of the civilization in question.  She is commonly depicted as wading up to her ankles in blood, or riding on Are's chariot, exhorting him on to further deeds.  The Greeks loathed her, and honored her so she'd leave them alone.

So, yeah, she's hot.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 09, 2010, 07:56:56 PM
First introduction to Discordianism was through Wiki, and although it and PD itself were rather clear on some things, the Chaos Theory was not one of them.

What I've figured out is that chaos is pure potential. It somehow lies "underneath" the grid that makes up regular organized religion. Chaos is not disorder, or rather, disorder is a part of chaos but order is a part of chaos as well. And creation and destruction are also part of chaos. Given that chaos now has no known boundaries, what exactly IS chaos? How does it define life/physics/philosophy? Also, what role does Eris play as Goddess of Discordianism? And do you all have any different views of what the Chaos theory is?

I'm going to sit out on commenting on Chaos Theory itself, at least for now. As far as Eris goes though, you might get a lot of different answers, but I get the general sense that around here is that she is seen as a convenient metaphor rather than a Goddess in the true sense.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 09, 2010, 08:03:13 PM

I'm going to sit out on commenting on Chaos Theory itself, at least for now. As far as Eris goes though, you might get a lot of different answers, but I get the general sense that around here is that she is seen as a convenient metaphor rather than a Goddess in the true sense.

BALLS!   :argh!:
Molon Lube

LMNO

"Chaos Theory" is the name for mathematical models of systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions.  Mapping out the trail of smoke from a cigarette, for example.  

Some Discordians here say that "Chaos" is what contains both Order and Disorder.

Still others wrote ridiculous prose poems around it.

From The Chao Te Ching, Chaper 25:

There is Something that exists,
beyond the Illusions of Order and Disorder.
It is all things, and unknowable in full.
We only see small parts of It,
but are convinced what we see is the entire Universe.

For lack of a better name, I call It "Chaos".
At dinner parties, I claim It is everything Possible and Impossible.
When asked why not call It "god",
I point out that their head is too fucking small.

Because we create the Illusions in which we live,
we are more creative than Chaos.
Because we believe in the Illusions we create,
our heads are too fucking small.
In this way, we reflect our creations.

Chapter 34:

Chaos embraces the Illusions of Order and Disorder.
It contains all things,
Even that which is not there.
It does not judge,
it has no subjectivity.

It has no meta,
for even thoughts outside Chaos
are found within Chaos.
If all things that change are within it,
then it does not change;
Because there is no Other.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 09, 2010, 08:02:27 PM
Chaos theory is a mathematical term, dealing with multiple iterations breaking down the effectiveness of models.

And Eris is a horrible old crone who destroys civilizations over an insult not even delivered by a member of the civilization in question.  She is commonly depicted as wading up to her ankles in blood, or riding on Are's chariot, exhorting him on to further deeds.  The Greeks loathed her, and honored her so she'd leave them alone.

So, yeah, she's hot.

Poo- in regards to this, you might find the last paragraph in the OP interesting:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9811.0

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 09, 2010, 08:03:57 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 09, 2010, 08:03:13 PM

BALLS!   :argh!:

Just the sense I get from the posts I've seen. Perhaps I am mistaken. There are about 8 years of this place that are largely unknown to me.

ETA: Hmmm... I might have an idea for the Jack of All Forums challenge. Will have to chew on this.

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 09, 2010, 08:05:23 PM
"Chaos Theory" is the name for mathematical models of systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions.  Mapping out the trail of smoke from a cigarette, for example.  

Some Discordians here say that "Chaos" is what contains both Order and Disorder.

Still others wrote ridiculous prose poems around it.

From The Chao Te Ching, Chaper 25:

There is Something that exists,
beyond the Illusions of Order and Disorder.
It is all things, and unknowable in full.
We only see small parts of It,
but are convinced what we see is the entire Universe.

For lack of a better name, I call It "Chaos".
At dinner parties, I claim It is everything Possible and Impossible.
When asked why not call It "god",
I point out that their head is too fucking small.

Because we create the Illusions in which we live,
we are more creative than Chaos.
Because we believe in the Illusions we create,
our heads are too fucking small.
In this way, we reflect our creations.

Chapter 34:

Chaos embraces the Illusions of Order and Disorder.
It contains all things,
Even that which is not there.
It does not judge,
it has no subjectivity.

It has no meta,
for even thoughts outside Chaos
are found within Chaos.
If all things that change are within it,
then it does not change;
Because there is no Other.

It makes for a great unification (of sorts) but does there really need to be something that encompasses everything, if it's really just everything anyway, without a separate intelligence of any sort?
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I tend to see "Chaos" as what is and 'order/disorder' as what we perceive.

Eris, is a cocky bitch that is better appeased and/or distracted so she'll leave you alone. However, she's more fun at parties than YHVH and his Daddy's Boy of a son.

As for using the PD, or Wikipedia to hope to mount a view of reality... its probably a bad idea. There are some good ideas in the PD, but remember the book is a mirror, you'll see far more of yourself than the Universe there.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 09, 2010, 08:31:04 PM
Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 09, 2010, 08:17:19 PM
Why?

Because otherwise we fall into the 'all is one' trap.

But you've already stated that "all is chaos". Isn't that the same thing? If Chaos is one thing made up of many things, it is still ONE THING, or one term at least, which people try to describe "all" as.

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 09, 2010, 08:20:46 PM
As for using the PD, or Wikipedia to hope to mount a view of reality... its probably a bad idea. There are some good ideas in the PD, but remember the book is a mirror, you'll see far more of yourself than the Universe there.

I kinda figured that. I actually have a totally different set of beliefs not really related to Discordianism at all, which is what I tend to believe when it comes to the universe and the metaphysical. I find Discordianism relates a lot better to humanity and to me personally than it does to God the Universe and Everything. Mostly I'm just trying to figure out where you all stand on the subject.

LMNO

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 09, 2010, 08:37:20 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 09, 2010, 08:31:04 PM
Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 09, 2010, 08:17:19 PM
Why?

Because otherwise we fall into the 'all is one' trap.

But you've already stated that "all is chaos". Isn't that the same thing? If Chaos is one thing made up of many things, it is still ONE THING, or one term at least, which people try to describe "all" as.

Not exactly.  It is not one thing.  It's one word.  Big difference.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 09, 2010, 08:37:20 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on September 09, 2010, 08:20:46 PM

I kinda figured that. I actually have a totally different set of beliefs not really related to Discordianism at all, which is what I tend to believe when it comes to the universe and the metaphysical. I find Discordianism relates a lot better to humanity and to me personally than it does to God the Universe and Everything. Mostly I'm just trying to figure out where you all stand on the subject.

My opinion on beliefs is that they're generally a bad idea. But then I read too much Robert Anton Wilson so that may account for it.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson