News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Eris?

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, September 09, 2010, 08:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

It's somewhat relevant to this topic but I didn't want to tangent too much:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=26448.0;topicseen

I'm currently thinking about what to do in this particular section for the Jack of All Forums challenge. Perhaps this will evolve into what I want to use for that, but I'm hoping to come up with another topic for that, and this might help me formulate an idea.

So, what are your thoughts on Eris? Is she a goddess, or a personification of some sort of active agent in the universe or a metaphor? Perhaps she means something else to you. I was under the impression that the idea around here was that she was a metaphor, but I'm actually just basing that on a handful of posts, the only one that I can recall is one that I think was from ECH. This probably has been discussed already, and maybe I haven't come across the right thread yet.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Feel free to PM thoughts if you don't feel like putting them all out there.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

When I'm doing a ritual to Eris, she's my goddess.
When I'm discussing Discordian philosophy she's either a metaphor, a personification or a foil for the broader discussion.
When I'm writing a Discordian parable/story she's a fictional character that has something to do with the point I'm making (or not depending on how much you think my writing sucks).

If a really real for real 'Eris' exists, I doubt she is anything like the Eris of the PD. However, the Eris from the PD is a helluva lot more fun at parties and she occasionally hooks me up with great psychedelics.

Also, Eris, if you're reading this... I totally believe you're real, please don't come visit just to prove a point.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 09, 2010, 11:09:08 PM
When I'm discussing Discordian philosophy she's either a metaphor, a personification or a foil for the broader discussion.
When I'm writing a Discordian parable/story she's a fictional character that has something to do with the point I'm making (or not depending on how much you think my writing sucks).

If a really real for real 'Eris' exists, I doubt she is anything like the Eris of the PD. However, the Eris from the PD is a helluva lot more fun at parties and she occasionally hooks me up with great psychedelics.

Also, Eris, if you're reading this... I totally believe you're real, please don't come visit just to prove a point.

Judging from your other posts, I can see this. I'm a theistic Pagan myself

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

Eris is the anti-God that fucks all our minds over.

Feel free to debate me on this point.
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

LMNO

Ok.

What the fuck is an "anti-God"?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 10, 2010, 12:48:11 AM

I tried that.. but Eris kept getting jealous of Theroin, Babelon and anyone else I talked to.

She is such a bitch.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 10, 2010, 01:29:22 AM
Eris is the anti-God that fucks all our minds over.

Feel free to debate me on this point.

What Alphapance said. I could see Lucifer as being an anti-God, whatever it means, since he himself is not a deity to begin with and is at war with God, but I'm not certain Eris would qualify, since she is recognized as a goddess in Greek myth.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 10, 2010, 03:11:33 PM

I tried that.. but Eris kept getting jealous of Theroin, Babelon and anyone else I talked to.

She is such a bitch.

"I am the LADY your goddess who brought you out of cabbage-land. Thou shalt have no gods before me."

:lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 10, 2010, 05:24:28 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on September 10, 2010, 03:11:33 PM

She is such a bitch.

"I am the LADY your goddess who brought you out of cabbage-land. Thou shalt have no gods before me."

:lulz:

Meh, mostly she was just pissed they would have a threesome with her I think.

Phox

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 10, 2010, 05:23:07 PM
What Alphapance said. I could see Lucifer as being an anti-God, whatever it means, since he himself is not a deity to begin with and is at war with God, but I'm not certain Eris would qualify, since she is recognized as a goddess in Greek myth.
I disagree with Lucifer not being a deity. But I guess it depends on how you define it though.

Eris is sexy as fuck though.  :D

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 10, 2010, 01:33:05 PM
Ok.

An anti-God being anything that is totally against God. Like, in traditional monotheistic views Eris would be on the same level as Satan, as she stands for and is everything that "God" is against.
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

Phox

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 10, 2010, 11:51:20 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 10, 2010, 01:33:05 PM
Ok.

An anti-God being anything that is totally against God. Like, in traditional monotheistic views Eris would be on the same level as Satan, as she stands for and is everything that "God" is against.

The problem with relating a deity from a polytheistic religion to thew antithesis of a monotheistic deity is... they dont coexist in the same mythology and cannot be "opposed", in a way that's significant. Monotheistic religions do not have a "view" of Eris because... she is not in those religions. If you want to draw comparisons between Eris and Lucifer, or Eris and Angra Mainyu (much easier comparison), or something like that, then that's one thing, but still. Oh, and not all monotheistic have "traditional" (I read it as: Abrahamic) views on God.

Juana

To me, she's the face attached to an idea.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."