News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Eris?

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, September 09, 2010, 08:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Faust on September 12, 2010, 01:47:41 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 11, 2010, 08:46:50 PM
Eris is a black clad blood soaked goddess of war, destruction, strife, and discord.

By that descriptions, no one would be interested in her except psychopaths.

Well if you want to take the ancient Greeks at their word when describing her. Wasn't the quote that the ancient Greeks weren't to be trusted with these kind of things.

In regards to old Greek Eris vs New Improved Discordian Eris I think of it this way.

Ancient Greeks talked alot about men overcoming their animal nature and also of man taming nature. They were trying to build an ordered society upon the more "intellectual(cant think of a better word)" parts of humanity. Art, Philosophy, Literature, Athletics, even their warfare was refined. Greek democracy was an attempt to rise above the 2nd circuit "Me kill leader now me leader" mentality.

Keep in mind society wasnt like it is today, anyone at any time could decide "Fuck this ordered civilization shit" and go run off in the woods. In order for people to not do this they had to overcome their reptile brain and dedicate themselves to ideals like "order" and "civilization."
So Eris played on these more base natures of man. She took the form of a terrible monster bitch with a dagger in her tits, she worked through things like Barbarians and natural disasters to try and destroy the established order.

But today that wont work. Just look at the recent terrorist attacks, they havent weakened the power of the government they have increased it. Thats because modern society is no longer working against peoples base natures its working with them. The primary motives for being part of civilization are food(1st circuit) and not getting shot by the cops(2nd circuit). The biggest threats to the established order are of mans higher nature. Comedy pokes fun at the absurdity of the system with a boldness no journalist who wants to keep his job(circuits 1 and 2 again folks) would dare. Governments arent afraid of warlords or terrorists but of intellectuals. People like Leary, MLK, ect ect.

So Eris has taken the form of Discordianism. With its bar stool pseud-meta-physics, Dada humor and guerrilla surrealism it represents the greatest threat to order today, people thinking. And getting high, the line is fuzzy.

/rant
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Phox

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on September 15, 2010, 04:01:31 AM
Eris is a black clad blood soaked goddess of war, destruction, strife, and discord.

Well if you want to take the ancient Greeks at their word when describing her. Wasn't the quote that the ancient Greeks weren't to be trusted with these kind of things.

In regards to old Greek Eris vs New Improved Discordian Eris I think of it this way.

Ancient Greeks talked alot about men overcoming their animal nature and also of man taming nature. They were trying to build an ordered society upon the more "intellectual(cant think of a better word)" parts of humanity. Art, Philosophy, Literature, Athletics, even their warfare was refined. Greek democracy was an attempt to rise above the 2nd circuit "Me kill leader now me leader" mentality.

Keep in mind society wasnt like it is today, anyone at any time could decide "Fuck this ordered civilization shit" and go run off in the woods. In order for people to not do this they had to overcome their reptile brain and dedicate themselves to ideals like "order" and "civilization."
So Eris played on these more base natures of man. She took the form of a terrible monster bitch with a dagger in her tits, she worked through things like Barbarians and natural disasters to try and destroy the established order.

But today that wont work. Just look at the recent terrorist attacks, they havent weakened the power of the government they have increased it. Thats because modern society is no longer working against peoples base natures its working with them. The primary motives for being part of civilization are food(1st circuit) and not getting shot by the cops(2nd circuit). The biggest threats to the established order are of mans higher nature. Comedy pokes fun at the absurdity of the system with a boldness no journalist who wants to keep his job(circuits 1 and 2 again folks) would dare. Governments arent afraid of warlords or terrorists but of intellectuals. People like Leary, MLK, ect ect.

So Eris has taken the form of Discordianism. With its bar stool pseud-meta-physics, Dada humor and guerrilla surrealism it represents the greatest threat to order today, people thinking. And getting high, the line is fuzzy.

/rant
:facepalm:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 15, 2010, 04:06:56 AM

/rant

Pinealist though it may come across, bear in mind that this is in the Principia Discordia discussion section, and since I am asking what other Discordians what their thoughts on Eris are, this is an acceptable response from Glittersnatch.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Phox

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 15, 2010, 04:12:59 AM

/rant

Pinealist though it may come across, bear in mind that this is in the Principia Discordia discussion section, and since I am asking what other Discordians what their thoughts on Eris are, this is an acceptable response from Glittersnatch.

Not my face palming reason:
Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 15, 2010, 03:13:09 AM

I'm a Classics major.

Phox

Should clarify my previous post: Athens was really the only place that the things in that post apply to. Not all Greeks were Athenian and shared their world view. In fact, most Greeks were not Athenian. Homer, for one, was not Athenian. Second of all, pre-Plato's era, Athens didn't even really fit the mold of what we consider to be "Greek".

I tend to face palm whenever anyone uses the term "Greek" in the same thought that use "democracy", because democracy was the exception and not the rule in Greece (and there were democracies through out the Mediterranean area, and a number in the territories controlled by Persia as well, so democracy isn't even really an Athenian exclusive concept).

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 15, 2010, 04:24:39 AM
Should clarify my previous post: Athens was really the only place that the things in that post apply to. Not all Greeks were Athenian and shared their world view. In fact, most Greeks were not Athenian. Homer, for one, was not Athenian. Second of all, pre-Plato's era, Athens didn't even really fit the mold of what we consider to be "Greek".

I tend to face palm whenever anyone uses the term "Greek" in the same thought that use "democracy", because democracy was the exception and not the rule in Greece (and there were democracies through out the Mediterranean area, and a number in the territories controlled by Persia as well, so democracy isn't even really an Athenian exclusive concept).

Thanks for the clarification- I did actually think you were attacking the Discordian content of the post (due to references to the circuits and Dada). Though I think that your historical correction aside, the observations in there might not all be distinctly Athenian. Sparta was also a society that imposed order, for example. Just a different kind of order. They also had "refined" athletics and philosophy, (maybe not much in the way of what we would consider fine arts, excepting dancing) and politics, etc, even though they were of a militant bent. You could also make the argument that they sought to elevate humanity over animal nature. The untrained soldier gives in to fear, and then he gives in to instinct, and is no better than an animal. Come back a hero or on your shield. An animal has the options of come back alive, or come back as predator feces.

A bit of a tangent, but I think that even though the details of his post may be Athenian specific, the commonalities and even the specifics that may differ don't detract from his observations. He used (Athenian) Greece as an example, but could have equally applied to the Persian or Roman Empires, Egypt, Sumer, etc... we just happen to be using a Greek goddess as a reference point as opposed to a reinterpretation of Set or some sort of daeva servant of Ahriman.

Prince Glittersnatch III

/rant

lol u mad?
23pinaelfnordskiddoo!!11!one
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Phox

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 15, 2010, 07:26:43 AM
Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 15, 2010, 04:24:39 AM

Thanks for the clarification- I did actually think you were attacking the Discordian content of the post (due to references to the circuits and Dada). Though I think that your historical correction aside, the observations in there might not all be distinctly Athenian. Sparta was also a society that imposed order, for example. Just a different kind of order. They also had "refined" athletics and philosophy, (maybe not much in the way of what we would consider fine arts, excepting dancing) and politics, etc, even though they were of a militant bent. You could also make the argument that they sought to elevate humanity over animal nature. The untrained soldier gives in to fear, and then he gives in to instinct, and is no better than an animal. Come back a hero or on your shield. An animal has the options of come back alive, or come back as predator feces.

A bit of a tangent, but I think that even though the details of his post may be Athenian specific, the commonalities and even the specifics that may differ don't detract from his observations. He used (Athenian) Greece as an example, but could have equally applied to the Persian or Roman Empires, Egypt, Sumer, etc... we just happen to be using a Greek goddess as a reference point as opposed to a reinterpretation of Set or some sort of daeva servant of Ahriman.

While you are right about Sparta imposing a kind of order, you are slightly off in your ideas. Spartan philosophy was very different from Athenian philosophy. Corinth, Thebes, Arcadia, Ionia, and elsewhere were different from both. This most certainly affects the way that each views Eris, which is why I take issue with the whole idea. If we looked at it from a different point of view, say a Roman one, then they would have a much different view of Eris than the Athenians/Greeks (which they did, she was not necessarily the ghastly figure Glittersnatch is portraying).

The problem is that we have a lack of sources. Homer, Hesiod, Herodotus, fragments, and then Athenian philosophers and Hellenistic Romans and Greeks. I will try to dig out some other sources and compare notes.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I don't really think the freaks that wrote the PD studied the Classics. I also don't think that the Eris of Discordianism really has much (if anything) to do with Historical Eris.... other than as a joke.

That being said, the Greeks really didn't have hot dog buns until well after the Trojan war, so I may be wrong.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 15, 2010, 03:12:57 PM
I don't really think the freaks that wrote the PD studied the Classics. I also don't think that the Eris of Discordianism really has much (if anything) to do with Historical Eris.... other than as a joke.

That being said, the Greeks really didn't have hot dog buns until well after the Trojan war, so I may be wrong.

True, but I'm liking the tangent, and if historical Eris colors the view of an individual Discordian, it's a perspective that I would like to understand more and compare.

Phox

Well, the Greeks didn't have Hot Dog buns, it's true. The gods did though. I have discovered proof that the "Ambrosia and Nectar" of the gods was nothing more than a Chicago Hot Dog (with bun) and a large Pepsi. True stuff.

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 15, 2010, 05:31:20 PM

True, but I'm liking the tangent, and if historical Eris colors the view of an individual Discordian, it's a perspective that I would like to understand more and compare.

Hence, why I brought it up, of course. :)

Telarus

Bellona's depictions were distinguished from Minerva's by the addition of a Parazonium (Roman Officer's Short Sword/Dagger of Office), which is traditionally worn tied or hung between the breasts of the officer's breastplate. [Paraphrased from some random Ancient Coins website]

I think that Greg, Kerry, or RAW knew a lot more than they let on.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Requia ☣

Wouldn't the story of the Golden Apple have been fairly obscure prior to discordianism?  It's not something I ever read about going through the mythology section at the library at least.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 16, 2010, 07:01:52 AM
Wouldn't the story of the Golden Apple have been fairly obscure prior to discordianism?  It's not something I ever read about going through the mythology section at the library at least.

No, actually that's a fairly well known one, at least in my experience. Only thing I heard about Eris prior to hearing about Discordianism.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 16, 2010, 07:01:52 AM

It was the Greek equivalent of the Cain and Abel story. It was their explanation of why people went around killing each other.