News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

A Tribute to Musicians

Started by Adios, September 09, 2010, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

That never sold out.

I will start with the Beatles.

I know many claim Yoko was the disruptive cause that caused the band to break up, but I wonder.

I wonder how much it had to do with the industry itself. They forever shaped music, and the direction it took. I expect there was tremendous never ending pressure for them to do things differently.
They reached the pinnacle by doing things their way. How long could it have continued without them turning into something like The Rolling Stones or The Grateful Dead, touring for 30 years after their last hit.

Thank you John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Nephew Twiddleton

Some of you may disagree, but I'll give a quick shout out to two of the fallen who have inspired me: Kurt Cobain (listening to Nirvana got me into music) and Peter Steele
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

tyrannosaurus vex

The Beatles are a good choice. They didn't sell out - it isn't their fault that the entire industry copied them for 30 years (and is beginning to again).

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 10, 2010, 12:49:59 AM
Some of you may disagree, but I'll give a quick shout out to two of the fallen who have inspired me: Kurt Cobain (listening to Nirvana got me into music) and Peter Steele

Disqualified. Last album or two from Type O Negative were pure "pop goth" radio candy bullshit. Peter Steele does however retain points for being one of only 3 men whose genitals have been portrayed in the background picture of my wife's computer screen.

I submit Slayer. They are the only one of the BIG 3 thrash metal bands that didn't go through a "let's cut our hair and go to therapy, and turn our music into indie-pop love ballads" phase.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Adios

LMNO

I contend that "Band of Gypsies" was a sellout.

LMNO
-sometimes, sellouts sound really fucking good.

Adios

LMNO

Sold out to himself; became a self-parody.

Adios

Adios

So what is your opinion of Queen, during the Freddie Mercury days only, not post.

LMNO

I disqualify myself, only because I never really liked Queen all that much.

However, if forced, I would say that some bands actively pursue the sellout, and make it part of who they are.  There's nothing wrong with giving the people exactly what they want.  Queen seemed to excel at this.

Again, nothing really wrong with that. 

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 10, 2010, 02:54:10 PM
Sold out to himself; became a self-parody.

This is the worst kind of selling out, imho.

Other kinds of selling out probably result from losing creative steam and just going with the popular trends, or try to foresee popular trends and "lead" that way, or losing the drive to break new ground musically. But becoming a self-parody is when you try to live up to your stage persona for its own sake, without actually being it anymore, and it leads to derivative, contrived music and an ever-shrinking image. Jim Morrison did that in the 70's, and Marilyn Manson is doing it now.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Adios