Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

The Pledge of Allegiance

Started by Adios, September 10, 2010, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Richter

Can't see at work :(
There was an old "Porky Pig" cartoon about that pledge once.  Abe Lincoln ushered him through an idealized, highly polished version of USA history, and excited him to stand straight up and stammered it out with great sincerity.  Years and more cynicism past this, I'm likely comment on how the only good reason they could present was glossed over propaganda about what we, as a country HAD done, not what we WERE doing or WOULD do.  It was penned, I assume, before the space program, or Vietnam.  Back when I saw it, it was just a question of "Ok, what have we done lately?"

Younger me also wondered why the constant re-swearing of allegienace was necessary.  What did it accomplish, re - hoisting our cooperation and fealty every morning as school children?  What did it gain me, in that public school, other than lessons in a classroom crammed beyond capacity until a bell sent us out for recess on a bare asphalt slab, or a fetid "hot" lunch in a cafeteria that always reaked of bleach and vomit?  Why were we pledging allegiance to a FLAG anyways.  (Idolatry?)  The republic for which it stood took sloppy seconds.  I should have been more in tune about what this said about priorities.

Gradually, as we aged, we mumbled through less and less of it, hand less over hearts, until we would just stand there, staring, as a voice piped up from the main office on tinny speakers (same vintage as ol' Porky), grated out the same words.  In high school, one well eaning english teacher, decided he'd pledge for ALL of us one morning, and in addition to right hand over the heart, extended his left arm straight out.  Seig - whatnow?

It's easy to be a cynical consumer of government from the inside.  I pay the taxes, a more functional demonstration of my cooperation in the overgrown, overcomplicated group survival scheme than kissing their fucking flag.  I have no illusion I'm getting a perfect product for it.  I'd like to see it do better, or re-sort into better.  It will only help me out, and make life smoother for the people I like.  Then we can go on find some problem more miniscule to complain over than a few thousand porkbarrel assholes.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Adios

Too bad you can't see it. It is Red Skelton breaking it down word by word.

I think the daily recital was conditioning. Plain and simple.

Richter

It's sad.  You know, I'd LIKE a country I could beleive in.   A pledge expecting to condition in allegiance is a waste though.  A halfhearted, tossed out attempt certain to build resentment in anyone who can see around it, and have an insufficient success ratio on those who buy into it. 
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Adios

I would love to be proud of my country too. But I can't.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 10, 2010, 05:56:52 PM
I would love to be proud of my country too.
Why? It's so arbitraty. It's not like you chose to be born there.

So far you've all you've chosen is not to emigrate, so I guess you could feel proud about that.

Juana

Humans are silly. We like to think where we live is the most awesome of awesomest places.

I quit saying it in high school because it's a loyalty oath repeated by children who have no idea what they're swearing about or to. And I objected to that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Nationalism is silly too.  It's sometimes fun to buy into, especially with sporting events, but it certainly shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Richter

Payne

I like the form Scottish nationalism takes. It's basically the same as general Scottishness - stupidity, drunkenness, spatulas, irn bru, "Mel Gibson impersonating a Scotsman" Impersonators and Brawling. Not to mention punching Fictionpuss in the face.

It's hilarious when people take it seriously.

rubbish

Quote from: Richter on September 10, 2010, 05:41:58 PM
It's sad.  You know, I'd LIKE a country I could beleive in.   A pledge expecting to condition in allegiance is a waste though.  A halfhearted, tossed out attempt certain to build resentment in anyone who can see around it, and have an insufficient success ratio on those who buy into it. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 10, 2010, 05:56:52 PM
I would love to be proud of my country too. But I can't.

The land itself is astonishingly beautiful.

Of course, most places are.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

A country should be assigned to children randomingly at birth. Throughout life that child should be forced to be totally nationalistic to that assigned country, despite the fact it is not his/her own.
Sure it doesn't make any sense, but it would make the World Cup a hell of a lot more interesting.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on September 11, 2010, 11:05:05 PM
A country should be assigned to children randomingly at birth. Throughout life that child should be forced to be totally nationalistic to that assigned country, despite the fact it is not his/her own.
Sure it doesn't make any sense, but it would make the World Cup a hell of a lot more interesting.

Isn't that what happens?
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Pope Lecherous

for the non-Americans here, are any of you proud of your home nation?
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.