News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

The Pledge of Allegiance

Started by Adios, September 10, 2010, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

So far, yeah. It's keeping me fed, too. And supporting with my "difficulties".

However, if the Wilders shit keeps going the way it's going this might change. I'm definitely not proud of the part of the population that voted for him.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Lord Cataplanga

I guess I'm glad I was born here (It's not a first world country, but it could have been worse...).

I didn't chose to be born here and didn't do anything to deserve it, so it's not something I can feel proud about, just like I don't feel "proud" of being male or having green eyes.

Doktor Howl

Fuck the pledge.  If we want our kids to understand what they were supposed to have, have the little bastards recite the preamble.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 14, 2010, 03:21:05 PM
Fuck the pledge.  If we want our kids to understand what they were supposed to have, have the little bastards recite the preamble.

But the Knights couldn't get 'Under God' added to that.

E.O.T.

HMM,

as someone who has visited Holland (all parts, not just Amsterdam) many times, for over a decade, I've certainly noticed a few things which I'd like to comment on;

1) the public/ street activity (hasslers/ beggars/ thieves) is rapidly degrading, not improving - arguably all identifiable as obvious transient activity.

2) love 'em as I do, waaay too many Dutch folk live off the public dole (particularly youth (WTF???!!!). it's a fucking joke.

3) half the people I know would be trying to live there if it weren't for the strict immigration laws (which I agree with) and although current politics may be of the "nutter" variety, it's because your country is going rapidly from "we re-built ourselves-post-war" to "were-falling-apart-new-world-order-style"

OR

Holland - Europe's own California!!
"a good fight justifies any cause"

E.O.T.

ERRATUM:

i did mean that as a reply to trip (000), so's not to confuse.

ALSO0,

seriously. i was staying on Herr n gracht on and off for a few years and was shocked by how rapidly the whole district turned into a fucking crack-districkt by 2003. I've avoided the main center and pretty much just visited friends in Arnhem etc, since. no fun getting hassled by beggars & ruffians, i've got that here in p-towns failing fantasy.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Jenne

The rending of the fabric of society, the split between those who are educated and know history vs. those who had the watered down 1960's version, is starting to come into stark relief with things like the pledge of allegiance, etc.  ETA:  in other words, it's sort of a placeholder in terms of "the olden days" for those who want to preserve that time in our history as a "nation."  Meanwhile, the generations coming up aren't seeing the "significance" of saying the pledge, mostly because it's not really needed to unify the culture anymore.

We have media to do that...American Idol does more to create groupthink than any religious leavings of the nineteenth century.

Telarus

Quote from: Jenne on September 16, 2010, 04:21:40 PM
American Idol does more to create groupthink than any religious leavings of the nineteenth century.

YANKED. Thanks for the excellent quote, Jenne.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Might instruct my kids to do just that...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jenne

Quote from: Telarus on September 17, 2010, 05:30:58 AM
Quote from: Jenne on September 16, 2010, 04:21:40 PM
American Idol does more to create groupthink than any religious leavings of the nineteenth century.

YANKED. Thanks for the excellent quote, Jenne.

Hey, you're welcome.  :D

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 17, 2010, 05:34:26 AM

Might instruct my kids to do just that...

My kid READ the preamble about 4 years ago for a history assignment and decided enough was enough and stopped saying it altogether.

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on September 14, 2010, 03:32:39 PM

We could use the bit about nature and her god.  I think that's from the declaration.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 02:07:38 AM

We could use the bit about nature and her god.  I think that's from the declaration.

The declaration is an historical document only, and carries no weight of law.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 03:18:02 PM

Wait, is this a post-American generation whatever type observation, or are you for real? :?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 20, 2010, 03:37:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 03:18:02 PM

Wait, is this a post-American generation whatever type observation, or are you for real? :?

For real.  The declaration of independence is not, nor has it ever been, any form of law.

It was basically just a list of bitches and a kthxbai.
Molon Lube