News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

unground discordia

Started by maerie, September 10, 2010, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Fronkensteen, The Hawk

Payne

Discord is what happens when any group of monkeys hang out together. From an international church with a billion of followers to your local school board to a night out on the town with some friends, a bucket of rum, a blind dog with three legs and a number of blow up sex dolls.

Monkeys can't help being monkeys, and Discordians don't really hold that against them. (Dok Howl does, but he's a Superior Mutant). What Discordians hold against the monkeys is that they deny the Discord that automatically rises amongst them and try to stamp it out. Now because the unpredictable discord is where all the REALLY fun and interesting shit happens, that kinda bums Discordians out. But it also cheers them up because there is an adage pertaining to this: "Any imposition of Order increase Disorder".

Discordian thinkers (there aren't many of them, most of them are here and have become cynical and jaded by that fact) are quick to point out that "Chaos" is not, in fact, Disorder. Chaos is the canvas on which Order and Disorder are played against each other. Discord is a function of Chaos, not of Disorder alone.

This is not the only balancing act within Chaos to be seen in Discordian philosophies. For example there is the balancing act of Love of Change vs. Love of Stasis and that of The Social Instinct vs. The Ideological Instinct. Balance is not neccessary, but in a set of philosophies that embraces (almost) all Physical Realities as valid, there is bound to be an abnormal amount of Discord within a Discordian group.

Discordians fall into several different broad groupings, for greater details of this one should seek out the writings of The Good Reverend Roger (Peace Be Upon Him). These groupings are arbitrary, but are generally ranked in terms of "activist" proclivites with distinctions in the underlying philosophy that guides that activism. There is obviously a difference between an Orthodox Discordian who repeats the jokes and memes of the original Principia Discordia (These Discordians are generally referred to as Pinealists) and someone who is identified as a Discordian more by accident (The Deacon Richter once described this as 'sitting down in a field and having a house called Discordia built over him). There are, in reality, as many different types of Discordia as there are Discordians. And probably more.

The basic premises of the original Principia Discordia fall into those same categories, roughly. On the face of it a facile book filled with infantile jokes (entirely intentionally so). To some readers this is all it is. Looked at another way, it is filled with thought provoking alternative views of thinking about ones place in the universe and within society. Again, there are probably more views on what the book actualy is than readers of it. It is an old book, however, and as Discordia is generally thought of as an agresively progressive mode of thought, other works are available such as the Black Iron Prison.

In general, it is best to view any collection of Discordians of being unrepresentative of the whole. In investigating Discordianism, it is always better to search for it within yourself first. Then seek to find your brand of Discordianism elsewhere. Although this does fall into a classic human "strength" (the ability to impose a pattern to find what you're looking for), it WILL please whoever is looking at the results of such investigation. Then you can get on with some REAL Discord - be it postering, sermonising, parroting the PD or just good ol' fashioned hell rasing.

Lies

Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on September 11, 2010, 04:59:21 PM
Discord is what happens when any group of monkeys hang out together. From an international church with a billion of followers to your local school board to a night out on the town with some friends, a bucket of rum, a blind dog with three legs and a number of blow up sex dolls.

Monkeys can't help being monkeys, and Discordians don't really hold that against them. (Dok Howl does, but he's a Superior Mutant). What Discordians hold against the monkeys is that they deny the Discord that automatically rises amongst them and try to stamp it out. Now because the unpredictable discord is where all the REALLY fun and interesting shit happens, that kinda bums Discordians out. But it also cheers them up because there is an adage pertaining to this: "Any imposition of Order increase Disorder".

Discordian thinkers (there aren't many of them, most of them are here and have become cynical and jaded by that fact) are quick to point out that "Chaos" is not, in fact, Disorder. Chaos is the canvas on which Order and Disorder are played against each other. Discord is a function of Chaos, not of Disorder alone.

This is not the only balancing act within Chaos to be seen in Discordian philosophies. For example there is the balancing act of Love of Change vs. Love of Stasis and that of The Social Instinct vs. The Ideological Instinct. Balance is not neccessary, but in a set of philosophies that embraces (almost) all Physical Realities as valid, there is bound to be an abnormal amount of Discord within a Discordian group.

Discordians fall into several different broad groupings, for greater details of this one should seek out the writings of The Good Reverend Roger (Peace Be Upon Him). These groupings are arbitrary, but are generally ranked in terms of "activist" proclivites with distinctions in the underlying philosophy that guides that activism. There is obviously a difference between an Orthodox Discordian who repeats the jokes and memes of the original Principia Discordia (These Discordians are generally referred to as Pinealists) and someone who is identified as a Discordian more by accident (The Deacon Richter once described this as 'sitting down in a field and having a house called Discordia built over him). There are, in reality, as many different types of Discordia as there are Discordians. And probably more.

The basic premises of the original Principia Discordia fall into those same categories, roughly. On the face of it a facile book filled with infantile jokes (entirely intentionally so). To some readers this is all it is. Looked at another way, it is filled with thought provoking alternative views of thinking about ones place in the universe and within society. Again, there are probably more views on what the book actualy is than readers of it. It is an old book, however, and as Discordia is generally thought of as an agresively progressive mode of thought, other works are available such as the Black Iron Prison.

In general, it is best to view any collection of Discordians of being unrepresentative of the whole. In investigating Discordianism, it is always better to search for it within yourself first. Then seek to find your brand of Discordianism elsewhere. Although this does fall into a classic human "strength" (the ability to impose a pattern to find what you're looking for), it WILL please whoever is looking at the results of such investigation. Then you can get on with some REAL Discord - be it postering, sermonising, parroting the PD or just good ol' fashioned hell rasing.

Way to ruin the chi man.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Prince Glittersnatch III

0/10 Please troll again.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Remington

:mittens:

This is what I would give as a serious response to the OP, if I could explain myself twice as well as I can now.
Is it plugged in?

Payne

Quote from: Lysergic on September 12, 2010, 02:52:30 AM
Way to ruin the chi man.

Fuck you

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on September 12, 2010, 02:54:21 AM
0/10 Please troll again.

Fuck you

Quote from: Remington on September 12, 2010, 04:11:52 AM

This is what I would give as a serious response to the OP, if I could explain myself twice as well as I can now.

I dunno if this isn't some form of troll. I've seen this style before in a troll (on POEE, as I recall). But to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP I posted this.

~~~Payne: Is not 100% convinced this isn't poptart back for yet another run.

LMNO

So long as you keep writing stuff like that, I don't mind the occasional "n00b troll" routine.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 13, 2010, 02:16:21 PM
So long as you keep writing stuff like that, I don't mind the occasional "n00b troll" routine.

THIS!!

Damn Payne, nice writing, you should do a lot more!!!!

I have to admit however, I've not been able to get past the topic title of unground discordia, all I can think of is coffee beans...  :|

the last yatto

Best part of waking up is Discordia in your cup!
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BadBeast

Quote from: Pēleus on September 13, 2010, 08:54:26 PM
Best part of waking up is Discordia Amphetamine in your cup!
fixt
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Pēleus on September 13, 2010, 08:54:26 PM
Best part of waking up is Discordia in your cup!

I like that.... newsfeed?

the last yatto

Its better then a qtip in your mouth.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Freeky