News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Slow Time in Fat City™, part 5: Quotes from the Edge.

Started by Doktor Howl, September 13, 2010, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 20, 2010, 01:32:00 PM
Oh dear. You called me p.o.d., now I can't just walk away.  :p

The issue arises when you say things like "realistically" and "realm of possibility", because for me, those words are simply that. I only made the concessions I did before because there was nothing else to say, and it was time for the conversation to end. But for me, my mindlessly spouted hippie ideal is just as possible as any other solution. Likely? No. But if we stuck with likelihoods, we wouldn't have anything to discuss either way. This all results from my personal philosophy, which will become apparent in time.

It will also become apparent that I have some sort of weird idealism bipolar disorder, so if I'm (seriously) arguing idealistically one day,  and I'm going the complete opposite route the next, well, that's normal for me.

So what you're saying is that I should just ignore you, even when you aren't spagging up perfectly fine threads - because you're likely to just turn around and argue something totally retarded for the hell of it the next day?

Works for me.

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on September 20, 2010, 01:36:23 PM
So what you're saying is that I should just ignore you, even when you aren't spagging up perfectly fine threads - because you're likely to just turn around and argue something totally retarded for the hell of it the next day?

Works for me.

Sure, whatever floats your boat.  :D

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Adios

Freeky

What kind of things would show that there IS something wrong?

Adios

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 20, 2010, 01:32:00 PMBut for me, my mindlessly spouted hippie ideal is just as possible as any other solution.

But for the real world, your mindlessly spouted hippie ideal is an utter impossibility, as long as humans are hard-wired with primate brains. Better to focus on ideas/solutions that can be implemented to improve the lot of humanity in spite of itself than to waste time with things that will never actually work, ever.

And for future reference, when discussing the statistical likelihood of a specific idea or course of action ever coming to pass, saying something like "but for me, blah blah blah" is akin to saying "but for me, 2+2 really does equal 5." It shows a lack of meta-thinking on your part, because if you bothered to think about what you think and WHY you think it, you'd realize that your thought on the subject at hand are being filtered through an unrealistic idea of the world and that you should possibly make some adjustments in order to more closely align your filtered worldview with reality.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

also...

Sorry Dok. I know this probably feels like a threadjack but in my mind it speaks to the issues that you are describing ITT when even the potentially superior mutants here fall victim to the sort of thinking which is responsible for the problems you've been detailing in this series.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 20, 2010, 05:32:17 PM
also...

Sorry Dok. I know this probably feels like a threadjack but in my mind it speaks to the issues that you are describing ITT when even the potentially superior mutants here fall victim to the sort of thinking which is responsible for the problems you've been detailing in this series.

No problem.  I, too, am annoyed by people who take "should be" as "the way the universe works".

Gonna do something with this.
Molon Lube

Cain

If you accept the Machiavellian Intelligence Hypothesis, it's probably better to let humanity fight it out amongst itself for a while longer.  Basically, human intelligence is a by-product of an arms race between primates as to how best manipulate and gain control over each other.  Ramp that process up tenfold (or more) and you're more likely to get humans intelligent enough to solve the problems we've caused.  One way or another.

Phox

@ECH: You are right and wrong. Hopefully, you will see why I say that soon.

Sorry for all the threadjacking, Dok, I just tend to respond to all comments directed at me, because I am more reactive than I ought to be. I'll shut up now, though.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 21, 2010, 12:19:33 AM

actually, no. Without anything to back that assertion up, it sounds pretty meaningless and ignorable.

Doktor Howl

Sorry for all the threadjacking, Dok, I just tend to respond to all comments directed at me, because I am more reactive than I ought to be. I'll shut up now, though.

Doesn't matter.  Horrorology was a mistake in the first place.
Molon Lube

Juana

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 01:04:22 AM

:( I disagree. I've very much enjoyed what's been posted here, even if I don't often reply.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hover Cat on September 21, 2010, 02:44:05 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 01:04:22 AM

:( I disagree. I've very much enjoyed what's been posted here, even if I don't often reply.

Meh.  I have failed to convey anything that I've tried to get across.  It's just another excuse for mental fappery.
Molon Lube