News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Chicka-What?? --another card game

Started by Cramulus, September 15, 2010, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Here's another card game I came up with last night. Read it over, tell me what you think.

http://principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Chicka-What%3F%3F

This is a card game for 2-5 players.

Each card in the deck has a noun, verb, or phrase. The object of the game is to play cards which form a sentence which narrates how you crush your opponent. Certain cards require that you have another type of card to play (ie, some verbs require an object). Other cards are worth more if you pair them with certain cards. (ie, dragons are worth +1 if you use the verb "to devour")

Opponents take turns. On your turn, you draw until you have 10 cards. Then play as many as you can. Each card is worth 1-3 points depending on obscurity. The goal is to reach a certain number of points.

You may modify the form or tense of any card. For example "dragon" can become "dragons", "devour" could be "devoured". Common words such as "the", "my", and "your" are "free", and can be used without playing a card. You cannot use more than 5 free words in a sentence.

Cramulus

So an example of a sentence might be

My [ARMY OF...] [DRAGONS] [MOLESTS] your [MOTHER]. ---- 4 points.

My [FRIEND (name a friend)] [STABS] your [CAR]. ----- 3 points

should I try to stick to the My [SUBJECT] [VERBS] your [OBJECT] format, or go more freeform?

And how to prevent a sentence that doesn't make sense? If I form the sentence "My Knife Drinks your House", you should be able to veto that somehow. Sort of like how in scrabble you can contest a word, but it's a risk and you have to go by the dictionary.

Rumckle

I like the idea!

Quote from: Cramulus on September 15, 2010, 04:39:48 PM
should I try to stick to the My [SUBJECT] [VERBS] your [OBJECT] format, or go more freeform?

I think it would be nice to go more freeform, but it may be harder to keep the game fair and balanced. If you do allow more freedom you may need more cards, and modify the numbers of each card. Also, you may need to be more generous with pronouns and sentence length.

Also, when looking at the counters you have, perhaps you could have a normal sentence format for attacking, and a separate format for countering? That would give people more freedom without it becoming unwieldy.

Also, when playing with several people, how do you allocate damage?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Jasper

Haahaa, I love it!

As for veto power, I would prefer to mutually agree with my opponent on a set level of credibility.