News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

3D Printing no longer just for Rapid Prototyping

Started by Disco Pickle, September 15, 2010, 08:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: If You Talk Too Much My Head Will Explode on March 21, 2013, 03:34:17 AM
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-4-worst-things-people-are-making-with-3d-printers/

man, i gotta learn to CAD in 3D.
there presumably is a niche market out there somewhere for AR-15 lower receivers with integral bong, and i want in on it.
or, perhaps dildo shaped buffer tubes for said rifle.  or fetus shaped muzzlebreaks, bongs, or dildos.
dildo bongs are simply too unhygienic, i guess....
remember, every horrible mashup imaginable of already embarrassing things will soon become available, too!

von

Quote from: Disco Pickle on July 13, 2011, 05:25:52 PM
An entirely new type of file piracy involving 3d models designed by pro 3d modelers.

I also predict problems with quality when people begin trying to replace broken parts on equipment using home cooked designs rather than made by the manufacturer.

This will likely make CNN when someone tries it with car parts.

The quality issues are already showing up in the AR components people are manufacturing. They deteriorate far more rapidly than factory materials.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 09, 2013, 04:01:04 AM
An entirely new type of file piracy involving 3d models designed by pro 3d modelers.

I also predict problems with quality when people begin trying to replace broken parts on equipment using home cooked designs rather than made by the manufacturer.

The quality issues are already showing up in the AR components people are manufacturing. They deteriorate far more rapidly than factory materials.

There's a pretty good reason for that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

von

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 04:51:08 AM
Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 09, 2013, 04:01:04 AM

There's a pretty good reason for that.

From what I can tell, it has to do with how much weaker 3d printing plastics are vs. Polymer/sheet metal.

Imo, printing guns is kinda a moot point...I mean, mags mabey, but firearms themselves will require machined metallic parts regardless of how much plastic furniture you wrap around it