News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

3D Printing no longer just for Rapid Prototyping

Started by Disco Pickle, September 15, 2010, 08:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

:lulz: Ratatosk is totally right. Sex, then illegal / dangerous stuff, then finally we might get something useful in everyday life.

Do you think we'll see affordable consumer-level 3D printing in our lifetimes? and if so, what's the most far-out thing that consumer level 3D printing will be capable of?

Will we reach a point where it's like, instead of going shopping, you just download a 3D printer file and whip out some new dinnerwear?

How crazy can 3D printing get? Can I only make things which can be made out of one material? Or in the future, will I be able to print myself an EARL GREY, HOT?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on September 16, 2010, 03:20:43 PM
:lulz: Ratatosk is totally right. Sex, then illegal / dangerous stuff, then finally we might get something useful in everyday life.

Do you think we'll see affordable consumer-level 3D printing in our lifetimes? and if so, what's the most far-out thing that consumer level 3D printing will be capable of?

Will we reach a point where it's like, instead of going shopping, you just download a 3D printer file and whip out some new dinnerwear?

How crazy can 3D printing get? Can I only make things which can be made out of one material? Or in the future, will I be able to print myself an EARL GREY, HOT?

Well the rep-rap machines are already consumer level... as long as you're willing to hack a bit. And HP has repeased a purchasable version that requires no hardware/software hacking.

The next version of RepRap is being designed to be able to manufacture all parts of itself except the circuit boards.

So I think we're at the point where you could print a cup and then put tea in it (or have some kind of automated teapot do the tea bit).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

I'm hoping for a building material that is durable and safe to eat off of.  I would basically just use it to come up with elaborate dining sets. 

WOULD YOU LIKE AN 80 OZ STEIN, MADAM?

Cramulus

I look forward to the day that I can finish my beer and then guiltlessly smash the stein on the floor.

Jasper

Ooh.

I am foreseeing parties where everyone fabs their own custom drink cups and costumes.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Don Coyote

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Cramulus

still. somebody clone me a rip rap or whatever you call this thing. I promise to use it for evil.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cramulus on September 16, 2010, 09:36:33 PM
still. somebody clone me a rip rap or whatever you call this thing. I promise to use it for evil.

me too..   

GOD..      :evilmad:   so much evil..
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Nephew Twiddleton

Just coming into this thread. I'm going to have to read more on this topic. I had heard of it a while back and promptly forgot about it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bruno

Quote from: Cudgel on September 16, 2010, 09:07:06 PM
That code is so...ugly.

G-code isn't meant to be read. It's roughly the equivalent of assembly language for CNC devices.

It's the output of a CAM program, which is sort of like a compiler for a CAD file.

Not really, but sort of.

Kinda.
Formerly something else...

Jasper

What 3D printing needs to explode is a design GUI with 3D haptic input.  So you can sculpt models by hand, in a virtual setting.

Just saying.

Elder Iptuous

I'm Attending the newly formed Dallas hackerspace, and there's a guy with a makerbot...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on September 17, 2010, 12:48:18 AM
Quote from: Cudgel on September 16, 2010, 09:07:06 PM
That code is so...ugly.

G-code isn't meant to be read. It's roughly the equivalent of assembly language for CNC devices.

It's the output of a CAM program, which is sort of like a compiler for a CAD file.

Not really, but sort of.

Kinda.

I know. I just forgot how ugly stuff that a machine spits out can be.