News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

3D Printing no longer just for Rapid Prototyping

Started by Disco Pickle, September 15, 2010, 08:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Iptuous on September 18, 2010, 12:46:22 AM
haven't seen this link here yet.:
http://www.thingiverse.com/

also, just so that it's clear... the materials used in this are pretty limited yet.
most of the 3d printing is done in ABS.  rigid plastic.
the guy at the hackerspace yesterday spent the evening trying to tune his machine to use ALS plastic, which is a corn based plastic (biodegradable transparent stuff... he had difficulties)

i think were still a good ways out from printing a shoe...

an example of what's immediately possible, is one of the fellows there had some Bose headsets that he likes, but a piece on them became broken.  they are apparently pretty pricey and he likes them, but Bose said they were unable to sell him a replacement part.  So he's going to model it up and have the fellow with the printer spit one out.  i wonder how that would go down in court if the component became available on the web.  and Bose bitched about it....

candyfab prints on sugar.  It looks relatively simple to tune to various other materials as well, including chocolate and low melting point plastic.  I couldn't understand the documentation on how to build one all that well though, so I am kinda talking out my ass.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Elder Iptuous

Elder Iptuous

Check this guy out!
He made a 'Solar Sinter' unit that uses a big Fresnel lens to sinter silica sand for making glass objects using the sun.

reshape the desert!

I'm curious how that bowl would look polished up...

Jenne

THAT is cool.  I'm betting things like Croc shoes and plastic dishes can also be made from this 3D printing shizen.  What a fun job it would be to sit and create stuff to print out all day.

They say pretty soon we'll be able to print out a phone and just buy the guts from someone to put into it and make them ourselves.  Same with cameras, of course.  So you design your own casing and then the parts that go inside you order from a manufacturer.

Triple Zero

When I saw that I was really worried that the kind of shades he's wearing didn't seem nearly enough to protect his eyes from that very very very blight glowing dot ... but I might be wrong.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

his entire outfit was purchased from Willy Wonka enterprises, and is extremely safe.

Disco Pickle

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

LMNO

Elder Iptuous

I wonder if affordable home 3d printers will be a boon to strategic miniatures games (like warhammer type stuff)?

i know i would be more likely to try one out if i didn't have to pay the ridiculously high prices...

I also wonder what it will do to the collectible figurine market.  you know, all those pvc models that the anime/comic crowd spend cash on...

Disco Pickle

An entirely new type of file piracy involving 3d models designed by pro 3d modelers.

I also predict problems with quality when people begin trying to replace broken parts on equipment using home cooked designs rather than made by the manufacturer.

This will likely make CNN when someone tries it with car parts.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Iptuous on July 13, 2011, 05:19:15 PM
I wonder if affordable home 3d printers will be a boon to strategic miniatures games (like warhammer type stuff)?

i know i would be more likely to try one out if i didn't have to pay the ridiculously high prices...

I also wonder what it will do to the collectible figurine market.  you know, all those pvc models that the anime/comic crowd spend cash on...

The companies that stand to lose a lot from this will flip the fuck out and launch their arsenal of Tactical Lawyer Missiles.

It won't work; they'll lose lots of money and pirating of printable 3D models will flourish. A new crappy imageboard, called /3d/, will emerge to help facilitate the sharing of these models.

EDIT: DAMN YUO PICKLE! :argh!:

Elder Iptuous

the MakerBot group just accepted $10 Million in angel investment...
it'll be neat to see where they go with this.  according to the article announcing it, they had previously turned 75k of investment into 5200 makerbots in private hands.  $10 M could go a long way!

Telarus

Hey guys. I got a business contact (that I can't get into details about currently, y'know) that needs more info on the 3D printing workflow.

Specifically what filetypes are supported, most common printer setup, etc? The final sculpt would have a good level of detailed surface work, and fit in a bounding box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Any help would be seriously appreciated, and I may be able to turn this into a paid gig.

(going back to re-read this thread now, thanks for the bump)
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bruno

I was just shopping around for online rapid prototyping services last night, and found this.

http://www.quickparts.com/

What you're wanting to do sounds similar to what I'm thinking of doing (small parts with fine detail), and the PolyJet process seems like the best option for me.

http://www.quickparts.com/LowVolumePrototypes/PolyJet.aspx

Their PATENTED QuickQuotetm price quoting process uses the .stl filetype.

http://www.quickparts.com/QuickQuote/FAQs.aspx

I like Alibre Design Personal for design software, and it either exports or natively saves to .stl.

http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/

I've played with the free trial version a little, It was ok I guess. I'm not really an expert at 3d cad. I've had 1 class on it, and played with Sketchup some.

There are exporters for .stl for sketchup, but you may need the Pro version, which costs more than Alibre Personal.

Alibre also sells 3d printers.

http://www.alibre.com/3dprinters/default.asp
Formerly something else...

Disco Pickle

The most common 3d cad formats are .STP for ease of translation, .STL and .WRL for prototyping machines.

Any 3D cad software worth it's salt will convert a model into these formats, no matter what it's native file type.