News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Stuxnet: An actual Cyber attack weapon

Started by Triple Zero, September 22, 2010, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Damn. Why did I just have to remember the dam right above me?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 22, 2010, 06:36:22 PM
I don't habeeb it.

It really could be from anywhere and targeting anywhere. All of the countries effective have some potential of being either originator or target. It was pointed out that the program uses English for file names, but that doesn't automatically point to US origin- I think I heard somewhere that English is a default language for computer programmers due to it's versatility. The only thing that suggest US origin is confirmation that the US has the capability of creating it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 22, 2010, 06:38:47 PM
Damn. Why did I just have to remember the dam right above me?

Shopping list:
Guns
Ammo
Boat

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 22, 2010, 06:40:41 PM
I don't habeeb it.

It really could be from anywhere and targeting anywhere. All of the countries effective have some potential of being either originator or target. It was pointed out that the program uses English for file names, but that doesn't automatically point to US origin- I think I heard somewhere that English is a default language for computer programmers due to it's versatility. The only thing that suggest US origin is confirmation that the US has the capability of creating it.

The 007 reference was English, not American.  Bond, ya know?

LMNO

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 22, 2010, 05:41:06 PM
Charley, I don't know how much we can trust the report, but:

"A geographical distribution of computers hit by Stuxnet, which Microsoft produced in July, found Iran to be the apparent epicenter of the Stuxnet infections. That suggests that any enemy of Iran with advanced cyber war capability might be involved, Langner says. The US is acknowledged to have that ability, and Israel is also reported to have a formidable offensive cyber-war-fighting capability."

I smell political motives. 

Reverse it: Iran is Patient Zero, self-infected.  Anyone hacking into Iran's networks then becomes infected.  Since it's Iran's virus, no Iranian system will be affected.

Golden Applesauce

The appearance of Stuxnet created a ripple of amazement among computer security experts. Too large, too encrypted, too complex to be immediately understood, it employed amazing new tricks, like taking control of a computer system without the user taking any action or clicking any button other than inserting an infected memory stick. Experts say it took a massive expenditure of time, money, and software engineering talent to identify and exploit such vulnerabilities in industrial control software systems.

It employs the amazing new trick of requiring the victim to physically insert an infected memory stick?

We're screwed.

In all seriousness, this probably isn't the global meltdown strike you're looking for, CB.  If the experts say it's looking for a very specific target, then it probably is.  That, and nobody with the resources to put this together is terribly interested in the economy shutting down once and for all.

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 22, 2010, 06:42:56 PM
I don't habeeb it.

foo is a standard generic name in computer science.  So I parse that filename as DEAD+FOO+7, not DEADF+007.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Nephew Twiddleton

I don't habeeb it.

Yeah, but 007 transcends Englishness in that the reference is global. Plus Bond has been played by a Scot as well as an Irishman.  :lulz:

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 22, 2010, 06:45:47 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on September 22, 2010, 05:41:06 PM
Charley, I don't know how much we can trust the report, but:

"A geographical distribution of computers hit by Stuxnet, which Microsoft produced in July, found Iran to be the apparent epicenter of the Stuxnet infections. That suggests that any enemy of Iran with advanced cyber war capability might be involved, Langner says. The US is acknowledged to have that ability, and Israel is also reported to have a formidable offensive cyber-war-fighting capability."

I smell political motives. 

Reverse it: Iran is Patient Zero, self-infected.  Anyone hacking into Iran's networks then becomes infected.  Since it's Iran's virus, no Iranian system will be affected.

If it spreads by USB stick, not that likely.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Adios

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on September 22, 2010, 06:46:51 PM
The appearance of Stuxnet created a ripple of amazement among computer security experts. Too large, too encrypted, too complex to be immediately understood, it employed amazing new tricks, like taking control of a computer system without the user taking any action or clicking any button other than inserting an infected memory stick. Experts say it took a massive expenditure of time, money, and software engineering talent to identify and exploit such vulnerabilities in industrial control software systems.

It employs the amazing new trick of requiring the victim to physically insert an infected memory stick?

We're screwed.

In all seriousness, this probably isn't the global meltdown strike you're looking for, CB.  If the experts say it's looking for a very specific target, then it probably is.  That, and nobody with the resources to put this together is terribly interested in the economy shutting down once and for all.

I don't habeeb it.

foo is a standard generic name in computer science.  So I parse that filename as DEAD+FOO+7, not DEADF+007.

Okay, let's assume I just don't trust what I hear. I still think anyone capable of producing this not only has the ability to lay false trails but would do so.

Infect the sticks at the manufacturing source.

Jasper

QuoteThat, and nobody with the resources to put this together is terribly interested in the economy shutting down once and for all.

That's why I don't believe it's going to be a worldwide event. 

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 22, 2010, 06:51:07 PM

We're screwed.

I don't habeeb it.

Okay, let's assume I just don't trust what I hear. I still think anyone capable of producing this not only has the ability to lay false trails but would do so.

Infect the sticks at the manufacturing source.

I assumed the same thing. It seems a little convenient that the language suggests Anglosphere origin and Iran is one of the infected countries.

Infection at the manufacturing source is pretty interesting, and would probably be hard to trace. It would also guarantee that the program would propagate across a long range of computers.

Is it confirmed that the program can only spread through a thumbdrive? It's a good starting point but might not have the best success at reaching its target if it is only spread that way.

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 22, 2010, 06:54:04 PM
QuoteThat, and nobody with the resources to put this together is terribly interested in the economy shutting down once and for all.

That's why I don't believe it's going to be a worldwide event. 

Devils Advocate.

If I controlled all of that, why would I concern myself with something as insignificant as the economy?

Elder Iptuous

no matter what your status is, the world economy is not insignificant...

Jasper

Well, most things this sophisticated and organized tend to have roots in profitability, which leads me to suspect mere industry sabotage.

Adios