News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Discordianism vs. Pastafarianism & the connection to the Church of the SubGenius

Started by The Great Pope of OUTSIDE, September 24, 2010, 02:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

Firstly, I know Pastafarianism exists. Outside of that, I know very little about it. However, what I'm wondering is, how do they relate to Discordians? Are there Discordians who are also Pastafarians? Are they like best-buddy religions but without any cross-over between the two? Are they archenemies of each other? Do we just not care about them or they about us? Did one come from the other or is there influence in either direction?

Secondly, what is the connection between Discordianism and The Church of the SubGenius? I've never quite figured that out.
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

LMNO

Pastafarians are militant atheists who don't understand satire.

Subgenii are, with the exception of Doktor Howl, blowhards who forgot that it was a joke and started taking themselves seriously.

Please note that the above two definitions are incomplete and most likely wrong, and there is a 73% chance I will get flamed for at least one of them.

East Coast Hustle

Pastafarianism is fucking retarded. Since plenty of Discordians are fucking retarded, there's likely to be some crossover between the two.

As for Subgenii, well, I can explain it all to you in great detail but first you need to send me $30.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 24, 2010, 02:53:49 PM
Pastafarianism is fucking retarded. Since plenty of Discordians are fucking retarded, there's likely to be some crossover between the two.

NEWSFEED.

Cramulus

Pastafarianism was created for a specific cause - it is meant as an argument against the Kansas board of ed's decision to treat intelligent design like actual science. It satirizes religion. It is clearly not, however, a religion. Nobody really believes in the FSM (except for some discordians, probably).

Discordia, similarly, satirizes organized religion and dogmatic belief. But it is more focused on straddling the line between a joke and a religion. Whether it's a joke or a religion is kind of blurry. It can be treated as both.

subgenii are a horse of a different color ,and I'm sure somebody other than me could explain it better

East Coast Hustle

the fuckwads at venganza are no different than the fuckwads at, say, westboro baptist.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Phox

Cramulus

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 24, 2010, 03:07:13 PM
the fuckwads at venganza are no different than the fuckwads at, say, westboro baptist.

my bad. I forgot pastafarians do stuff like picketing at homosexual funerals and burning Qua'rans. What kind of douchebags don't want ID taught in science curriculum?

East Coast Hustle

the point I was trying to make (as I think you well know) is that militant humorless atheists are no different from militant humorless religious fanatics. And I'm guessing that if Venganza had the resources at their disposal that Westboro Baptist does, they'd find a way to use those resources in a similar manner (albeit one with a different direction).

But don't let inconvenient facts get in the way of lashing out at me all day for whatever I've done that's obviously gotten under your skin. Or were you not around when we tried to make contact with venganza and become friendly allies with them? If you weren't, I suggest you go over there, announce yourself as a discordian, and try to make friends.

Doktor Howl

I have met one (1) Pastafarian that has a sense of humor, and I met him IRL.

Venganza is pretty much the model of the current "joke" religion.  Militant, shrill atheists who didn't think there was any need for additional punchlines.
Molon Lube

Cain

You'd think a bunch of atheists would've at least read Voltaire.  You know, for all their harping on about Enlightenment values and such.  "Any style is good except boring".

Even PZ Myers pisses me off nowadays, because they tout their freethinking credentials for the world to see, and then go on to believe ridiculous bullshit without any evidence to back them up (latest example from Scienceblogs: Obama is an atheist.  He probably is, but they have no actual evidence to support this conclusion).  Militant atheism of the sort of the Vengaza fuckwits is, uh, more of a lifestyle stance than an actual principled stand, in most cases.

And, more importantly, their shrill shrieking is really very dull.

Doktor Howl

The Church of the Subgenius actually had a lot of good things to say, to the point where I still read the three books, but never bother making jokes about them anymore (How long can you repeat the same gags?).  Revelation X, Chapter 3 in particular (The Conspiracy Rant) is worth reading.

But the Church itself is a pack of tragically hip old farts who are obsessed with their own "fame", to the point where alt.slack is now a wasteland used exclusively by a OCD weirdo named Rev Meow, who posts 30 times an hour, and a few trolls crossposting from alt.skinheads.  The "REAL" Subgenii post on a more modern chatroom, which they mercilessly police.  You can get on and lurk, slobbering up their nuggets of precious wisdom, but the moment you open your mouth, you're booted.

Also, don't bother going to a devival unless you're the sort of person who hangs out across the street from nightclubs to spot famous rappers going in.

Summary:  Pamphlets 1 & 2 are good.  The books are amazing.  Everything else sucks.  
Molon Lube

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

QuoteAs for Subgenii, well, I can explain it all to you in great detail but first you need to send me $30.

Isn't that Scientology?  :?

QuoteOr were you not around when we tried to make contact with venganza and become friendly allies with them? If you weren't, I suggest you go over there, announce yourself as a discordian, and try to make friends.

Do I _LOOK_ like I'm looking for the closest excuse to get ripped into shreds? ...wait...don't answer that. XD

...Is that what would happen? It sounds like that's what would happen.

QuoteI have met one (1) Pastafarian that has a sense of humor, and I met him IRL.

The reason I know Pastafarianism exists is because one of my friends likes to claim he is one, although I seriously doubt it. Honestly, I think he'd make a much better Discordian, lol.
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 24, 2010, 10:49:24 PM

Isn't that Scientology?  :?

The Church of the Subgenius was started as a parody of Scientology.

You can be a Subgenius without sending your $30, but you won't be able to get on the Xist ships on X day (July 5th, 1998), and you'll be destroyed along with all the Pink assholes.
Molon Lube