News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Discordianism vs. Pastafarianism & the connection to the Church of the SubGenius

Started by The Great Pope of OUTSIDE, September 24, 2010, 02:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

So, what we're saying here is that Discordianism is the most real of the fake religions?  :?

Also, this has been added to my list of "Discordia in a nutshell" explainations:

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 25, 2010, 03:56:06 AM

"A Discordian is a militant agnostic."

In other words, everyone's beliefs are suspect, including my own.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

I sent a friend of mine to read PD itself, and that made sense to him. Of course, he's the sorta fellow that understands things that don't make sense, XD

As far as being self-explanatory and containing _most_ of Discordianism beliefs, I think Wiki does a pretty good job of it. :/ Just saying.

Anyone know where I can find the good writing of the Church of the SubGenius, so I don't actually have to pay money for it?
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 25, 2010, 07:46:45 PM
I sent a friend of mine to read PD itself, and that made sense to him. Of course, he's the sorta fellow that understands things that don't make sense, XD

As far as being self-explanatory and containing _most_ of Discordianism beliefs, I think Wiki does a pretty good job of it. :/ Just saying.

Anyone know where I can find the good writing of the Church of the SubGenius, so I don't actually have to pay money for it?

http://subgenius.com has SOME of the holy texts for free.

It's one of the largest non-corporate websites in the world, though.  It's easy to get lost.
Molon Lube

There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

AFK

I was introduced to Discordianism, CotSG, and FSM, in that order.  A friend let me borrow his copy of the PD, and my wife, believe it or not, ordered me the main texts for the last two. 

Of the three, FSM resonated with me the least.  Honestly, I don't think I've even read the whole book.  It really seemed like a one-trick pony to me and was clearly on a mission to debunk the KSE.  The rest of it seems like sillyness for sillyness's sake.  In other words, unlike the PD, large portions of it IS a ha-ha, and in my estimation, not worth bothering with.

I really liked the main text for CotSG.  I re-read it many times.  This was back in the retail-hell days so I read it over the course of many lunch breaks.  The portions that skewered the Pinkos and the fail of American society resonated with me the most.  There were some really good ideas there and I loved the book's attitude.  It certainly was a more assertive and angrier book compared to the PD.  However, I didn't really click with the whole X day idea.  And while I understand the satire, it was just a little to present for me.  Also, I'm a cheap bastard.  Discordianism is more open-source and freely available.

But moreover, Discordianism has a philosophy that I was able to identify with 100%.  That's what I hold on to.  Take away all the Eris's and fnords and tons of flax, and you have a pretty coherent and relevant philosophy.  And that's how I treat Discordianism, as a philosophy.  I don't consider it my religion, more like, a way I live my life and how I approach this society I'm living in.  And what worked so well with the original BIP projects was that we were really honing in on that philosophy.  It was stripped down Discordianism without the 50s jokes.  And to me, it illustrated that the philosophies in Discordianism are very fundamental and transferrable to non-Discordians.  I mean, who can't get the idea of Reality Grids?  Who can't understand the point of Greyface?  What's not to get about The Golden Rule? 

If people could just stop taking themselves and the rest of humanity so seriously, and become more adept at and open to playing games in life, the human condition would probably be a much improved one.   
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

The reason I have stopped self-identifying with the CotSG is that they fossilized.

Discordianism always seems to have something new to offer, even if it's only the noob of the month.

And just as I try to eat a new thing every week (with help from Freeky and Nurse Enabler, who are both awesome cooks, particularly with exotic foods), I also try to find new ways to inflict myself on my fellow countrymen, and Discordianism helps with that.
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

According to Rev Stang, his CoTSG began as a completely independent thing and he had never heard of Discordianism. He was printing up flyers warning about a "new cult" and telling people to send money to an address to support informing people about the cult... and people sent money.  :lulz:

Later he ran across Discordianism and thought someone was stealing his gag. Then he realized it predated CoTSG and eventually hooked up with Thornley and RAW.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Telarus

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 28, 2010, 03:48:37 AM
Who's Thornley and RAW?

RAW = Robert Anton Wilson (one of the authors of the Illuminatus Trilogy)

Thorney =  Kerry Thornley (aka Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst), one of the authors of the Principia Discordia
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Great Pope of OUTSIDE on September 28, 2010, 03:48:37 AM
Who's Thornley and RAW?

Kerry Thornley along with Greg Hill were Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst and Malaclypse the Younger... basically the two guys that complied and/or wrote most of the first version of the PD. RAW, Robert Anton Wilson, became a Discordian and was friends with both Greg and Kerry (until Kerry finally lost his mind :( ). Between the three of them, they developed, promoted or made some cash off of many 'Discordian' ideas/philosophy/wself-wankery or whatever the hell this stuff is that we all talk about.

Kerry and Greg first discovered/developed/joked about Discordianism in 1958/59 the first version of the PD was in the early 60's and then everything kinda went like wildfire. One of the most interesting things I discovered when reading Kerry's biography was that even then among the self-proclaimed Discordians, the fighting, disagreements, dislike and overall chaos, discord and confusion was much like we see today. Hail Eris. In fact, Thornley had some serious issues with some woman in New Orleans that had her own little Discordian cabal.

Also, somewhere there's a picture of Kerry Thornley fucking a chair. J.R. Bob Dobbs would never be caught doing that, unless he could sell the picture of a profit... Wait, what am I saying, of course he could sell it for a profit.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson