News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Discordianism vs. Pastafarianism & the connection to the Church of the SubGenius

Started by The Great Pope of OUTSIDE, September 24, 2010, 02:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on September 29, 2010, 03:00:49 PM
Sheds are holy places where you can pray to rakes and fertilizers and jerk off in private.

And commune with spiders and other wildlife. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

moose

I've always thought "Pastafarianism" was intended as a satirical counterexample to creationism, the Church of the Subgenius was a gag for the sarcastic to run with, and Discordianism is someplace between enlightenment and psychosis. I guess you could say they're all poking at religion, but they do it in different ways, and maybe to different ends. I wonder if Pastafarianism lampoons contemporary Christian cosmogony, Subgenius mocks the hierarchical structures and pretenses of organized religion as being essentially cult-like (and exploitative), and discordianism is making at least one legitimate philosophical point that, due to its very nature, contradicts itself, thereby proving its point even more (and contradicting it again...). It's an infinite regress with no bottom level, except that sounds like a claim about what Discordianism actually is/says which would in turn refer to some bottom level. This does not mean Discordianism "is" whatever it is I'm saying here. More likely than not it just means my intellectual meanderings here are utter bullshit. Happy happy bullshit. I love the circus.
"We can even have a lobby in Washington", Harding was saying, "an organization. NAAIP. Pressure groups. Big billboards along the highway showing a babbling schizophrenic running a wrecking machine, bold, red and green type: 'Hire the Insane.' We've got a rosy future, gentlemen."

anthonyony

Thanks for the Barnum bit, Cramulus.  It brings to my initially dichotic understanding (the first filter I'm using to assimilate notions) the opposite of what Barnum did.  Granted, curiosity gets 'em in the door and money out of their pockets, but what anti-curiousities would Barnum use on the competition?  What is it that drives people away from an otherwise good show?  Should we use taint weapons of mild confusion on the machines of Anti-Slack?  And what circuses are we all missing just because someone puked at the entrance?

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: anthonyony on October 28, 2011, 10:58:49 PM
Should we use taint weapons of mild confusion on the machines of Anti-Slack?

I, for one, welcome the weaponization of taints.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

FREE LSD

In Open Letter To Kansas School Board, Pastafarian founder Bobby Henderson requests "that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories."

As a High Priest of Our Lady Eris, I'm Pastafarianism insofar as I think we should teach those three theories and more!!! Schools should teach evolution, intelligent design, Pastafarianism, Welteislehre, 8-circuit model, alien-slash-UFO intervention in civilizations (Egypt, Maya), fungi as alien intelligence...

Through the Pastafarian movement is how Discordianism (and more) might be taught in schools.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster being male is misogynistic, chauvinistic political posturing.
(spoiler alert)
The Flying Spaghetti Monster is Eris in drag.

Phox

Quote from: PPPP on November 08, 2011, 04:12:08 PM
In Open Letter To Kansas School Board, Pastafarian founder Bobby Henderson requests "that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories."

As a High Priest of Our Lady Eris, I'm Pastafarianism insofar as I think we should teach those three theories and more!!! Schools should teach evolution, intelligent design, Pastafarianism, Welteislehre, 8-circuit model, alien-slash-UFO intervention in civilizations (Egypt, Maya), fungi as alien intelligence...

Through the Pastafarian movement is how Discordianism (and more) might be taught in schools.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster being male is misogynistic, chauvinistic political posturing.
(spoiler alert)
The point of education is to inform children of proven scientific facts, not fill their heads with as many breeds of batshit stupidity as you can think of. So no, schools should not teach any of that garbage, either in addition to or in lieu of evolution.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Phox on November 08, 2011, 04:22:38 PM

(spoiler alert)
The point of education is to inform children of proven scientific facts, not fill their heads with as many breeds of batshit stupidity as you can think of. So no, schools should not teach any of that garbage, either in addition to or in lieu of evolution.

This.

We don't need to make the monkeys worse with even more stupid shit. There's spreading discord, and then there's just being an irresponsible ne'er-do-well with an ill thought-out plan to take on the man.

Discordianism can be better taught in school by instilling students with critical thinking skills.

Kai

(spoiler alert)

No, they are not theories, and they should not be taught. However, I think pulling apart religious texts with critical thinking would be an excellent exercise for students. It will of course never happen because someone will be offended.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 08, 2011, 05:24:24 PM

(spoiler alert)

No, they are not theories, and they should not be taught. However, I think pulling apart religious texts with critical thinking would be an excellent exercise for students. It will of course never happen because someone will be offended.

I think the actual definition of the word theory as part of lesson one in critical thinking would be vital, now that you mention it.

LMNO

I think the problem here is that the FSM started out as pure satire.  The author wasn't really advocating that Pastafarism should be taught in the classroom, he was showing how stupid it is to advocate one faith over another when it comes to science.

So, to advocate all faiths be taught is not only not bringing in anything new to the joke, it's missing the point of the joke entirely.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 08, 2011, 05:36:41 PM
I think the problem here is that the FSM started out as pure satire.  The author wasn't really advocating that Pastafarism should be taught in the classroom, he was showing how stupid it is to advocate one faith over another when it comes to science.

So, to advocate all faiths be taught is not only not bringing in anything new to the joke, it's missing the point of the joke entirely.

Faugh! Next you're going to tell me Jonathan Swift didn't really advocate that we eat Irish babies as a delicacy!

LMNO