News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Chris Christie smacks down heckler

Started by Adios, September 24, 2010, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

"You want to yell? Yell at me, but don't give her a hard time," Christie said into his microphone. But Christie didn't stop there: "It's people who raise their voices and yell and scream like you that are dividing this country," he said. "We're here to bring this country together, not divide it." The audience roared with cheers and applause.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100924/el_yblog_upshot/chris-christie-smacks-down-heckler

Why doesn't this attitude surprise me? The message here is to sit down and swallow whatever I put on your mouth.

Chairman Risus

I don't know. This seems to be the same situation as the tea partiers shouting ridiculous things at town hall meetings, except the political parties have been swapped around.

Adios

Quote from: Risus on September 24, 2010, 04:31:51 PM
I don't know. This seems to be the same situation as the tea partiers shouting ridiculous things at town hall meetings, except the political parties have been swapped around.

I wasn't pointing at only one party. This story is only symptomatic, not problematic.

Cain

He has a point but, to be honest, anytime someone talks about "uniting" a country I am immediately wary.

Like Terry Pratchett said "pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions."  Yeah sometimes people need to shut up and let others have their turn, but equally it's just as easy to pull the "OMG seditious [buzzword] trying to pull this country apart, shut up before you do any more damage".

Adios

Quote from: Cain on September 24, 2010, 04:52:35 PM
He has a point but, to be honest, anytime someone talks about "uniting" a country I am immediately wary.

Like Terry Pratchett said "pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions."  Yeah sometimes people need to shut up and let others have their turn, but equally it's just as easy to pull the "OMG seditious [buzzword] trying to pull this country apart, shut up before you do any more damage".

I agree, and the trend recently has been the latter.

Cain

Yeah.  And besides, Obama tried bi-partisanship and look how it worked out for him.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on September 24, 2010, 05:03:05 PM
Yeah.  And besides, Obama tried bi-partisanship and look how it worked out for him.

:lulz:

I will always line up on the side of Freedom of Screechâ„¢.