A Brief Explanation, Part II of V

Started by Doktor Howl, September 24, 2010, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on September 24, 2010, 04:47:11 PM
I don't know, Dok. One of the reasons I love you is that you see the Horrible Truth. I think most people survive by not seeing it, but the reality is staggeringly fucking awful. You see it. I see it. Mr. Language sees it. Most people think you're crazy, if you try to tell them.

Yeah, seeing it isn't so great for day to day function. It makes you crazy. But if nobody ever saw it, who would warn the others?

In the old days, they'd either stone people like us, or quote us in some awful violent saga that would later be used to justify all manner of horrible shit.

And that book is a disappointment as well.  Having started noticing things, I keep waiting for trumpets and seals and flying snot demons and hornets with human faces and shit, but it never comes, and that makes me want to cry a little...because the alternative is well-dressed men with perfect teeth and greasy smiles explaining to us that "the spill isn't that bad and the fundamentals of our economy are sound and we really had no choice but to lay off half the teachers and a third of the cops".  I can feel the ground shifting under my feet, I can sense the horrible accelerating slide back into the mud we spend the last 1500 years crawling out of, and I can't see any way to stop it, any more than I can see a way to stop a hurricane or an Earthquake.

There's nothing wrong.  Things are fine...But everyone's so damn desperate to snuff out the candle of what civilization we DO have (and I don't mean the toys and the shiny neon lights and the cars), to deal with non-existent issues.  It's all falling apart, but there's nothing wrong that's causing it.

Nothing but humans, being humans.   
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 24, 2010, 04:46:27 PM
It's also a brilliant piece of writing.  

Thank you.  I wish I could do this sort of thing when my head isn't full of rabid weasels and rancid shit.
Molon Lube

Adios

The suits with the perfect teeth are horrible. The biblical Satan dressed in the guise of God.

Monsters can be fought, but this menace is implacable, unfeeling and smiling. Kill the first rank and there is another right behind it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on September 24, 2010, 04:46:48 PM
My quote function's borked, but I know it's not about spiders, Rog, what I meant was this is how you seemed to be feeling, or so I thought, when you wrote about them.

I felt a little spaced out, then.

The way I feel now is enough that I got myself checked out for a reoccurance of the illness I had (though I don't feel the same level of hostility I felt then).  It's not back, so that's one good thing.
Molon Lube

Jenne

@Rog:  Dammit I wish I could hit "quote"...sorry about that.  Anyway, yeah, I guess I was just comparing your writing styles when you're feeling "off" and disconnected to when you're, well, not.  But like I said, it's my own perception.

What I mean to say is:  I GET you.  I haven't seen what you have or felt what you have, but what you are going through, I GET.  Scary though that might be.  What you wrote resonated and was a gutpunch.

I liked it.  And I want more.

Not sure what I'm trying to say anymore so I'll just back off.  But put me down to "man, that was some awesome fucking shit" if you can...after all the babbling I've been doing.

ETA:  damn, glad you're not ill again.  I was wondering where you took yourself off to yesterday.

East Coast Hustle

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing, because I see the horrible shit just like you do, but I feel like warning people would be a waste of my time. Time that would be better spent exploiting the situation for my own gain. I'm sure this makes me a terrible person on some level, but what makes it even more terrible is that it's not a conscious decision on my part, but deeply instinctive. In fact, it's taken me until very recently to even recognize it for what it is. I don't know what the point of this is, but it feels good to put it out there. And I don't feel any ill effects from being terrible like this, so maybe you can find a way to embrace and exploit it like I have.

After all....you sure as hell aren't going to be able to stop it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 24, 2010, 05:15:54 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing, because I see the horrible shit just like you do, but I feel like warning people would be a waste of my time.

Well, I'd warn you guys, if that's what I was trying to do, because I like you.  You're actual people in a world full of shit-sucking food tubes.

But I'm not trying to warn you (in the OP), because you guys already know the bad shit that's coming down the tracks.  Screaming about it some more won't do anything but bore everyone, and maybe even further desensitize you a tiny bit.

I'm trying to say something else, and not doing a very good job of it.  However, again, I have 3 more chances to make my point, and I expected from the beginning that I'd need all 5.
Molon Lube

Adios

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing, because I see the horrible shit just like you do, but I feel like warning people would be a waste of my time. Time that would be better spent exploiting the situation for my own gain. I'm sure this makes me a terrible person on some level, but what makes it even more terrible is that it's not a conscious decision on my part, but deeply instinctive. In fact, it's taken me until very recently to even recognize it for what it is. I don't know what the point of this is, but it feels good to put it out there. And I don't feel any ill effects from being terrible like this, so maybe you can find a way to embrace and exploit it like I have.

After all....you sure as hell aren't going to be able to stop it.

In basic training a DI was marching us toward the edge of a cliff. I was in the front rank and at the cliff edge I side stepped and watched the other fools, without exception march off into thin air. Then I watched the Di rip them new ones for being fucking idiots.

I have been sidestepping for decades.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 24, 2010, 05:20:01 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing, because I see the horrible shit just like you do, but I feel like warning people would be a waste of my time.

Well, I'd warn you guys, if that's what I was trying to do, because I like you.  You're actual people in a world full of shit-sucking food tubes.

But I'm not trying to warn you (in the OP), because you guys already know the bad shit that's coming down the tracks.  Screaming about it some more won't do anything but bore everyone, and maybe even further desensitize you a tiny bit.

I'm trying to say something else, and not doing a very good job of it.  However, again, I have 3 more chances to make my point, and I expected from the beginning that I'd need all 5.

I think I see where you are going, but maybe not. It's still one hell of a journey and I'm staying on the bus.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 24, 2010, 04:58:37 PM
I don't know, Dok. One of the reasons I love you is that you see the Horrible Truth. I think most people survive by not seeing it, but the reality is staggeringly fucking awful. You see it. I see it. Mr. Language sees it. Most people think you're crazy, if you try to tell them.

Yeah, seeing it isn't so great for day to day function. It makes you crazy. But if nobody ever saw it, who would warn the others?

In the old days, they'd either stone people like us, or quote us in some awful violent saga that would later be used to justify all manner of horrible shit.

And that book is a disappointment as well.  Having started noticing things, I keep waiting for trumpets and seals and flying snot demons and hornets with human faces and shit, but it never comes, and that makes me want to cry a little...because the alternative is well-dressed men with perfect teeth and greasy smiles explaining to us that "the spill isn't that bad and the fundamentals of our economy are sound and we really had no choice but to lay off half the teachers and a third of the cops".  I can feel the ground shifting under my feet, I can sense the horrible accelerating slide back into the mud we spend the last 1500 years crawling out of, and I can't see any way to stop it, any more than I can see a way to stop a hurricane or an Earthquake.

There's nothing wrong.  Things are fine...But everyone's so damn desperate to snuff out the candle of what civilization we DO have (and I don't mean the toys and the shiny neon lights and the cars), to deal with non-existent issuesIt's all falling apart, but there's nothing wrong that's causing it.

Oh.

OH.

Was that a separate point, Dok, or is it connected to the OP? Because it's one of those thoughts that creeps into my head once in a while and fills everything with a very deep sense of foreboding before disappearing again and I can get back to whatever I was doing with my life.

Even if I'm completely off the mark, I'm paying attention.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm looking forward to the next three installments.

What I like best about it, where the horror is, is that there really is nothing wrong. We're not fighting against anything but ourselves. All this madness... over nothing at all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad on September 24, 2010, 05:29:42 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 24, 2010, 04:58:37 PM

There's nothing wrong.  Things are fine...But everyone's so damn desperate to snuff out the candle of what civilization we DO have (and I don't mean the toys and the shiny neon lights and the cars), to deal with non-existent issuesIt's all falling apart, but there's nothing wrong that's causing it.

Oh.

OH.

Was that a separate point, Dok, or is it connected to the OP? Because it's one of those thoughts that creeps into my head once in a while and fills everything with a very deep sense of foreboding before disappearing again and I can get back to whatever I was doing with my life.

Even if I'm completely off the mark, I'm paying attention.

Separate point.  Thread drift.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on September 24, 2010, 05:53:05 PM
I'm looking forward to the next three installments.

What I like best about it, where the horror is, is that there really is nothing wrong. We're not fighting against anything but ourselves. All this madness... over nothing at all.

The population has been conditioned to an "Us vs Them" mentality, in this case between the so-called "liberals" and "conservatives".  This has been successful to the point where the country hates each other more than they hate the illusory enemies that have been created for us.

The interesting part is, the people who have engineered this now believe it themselves.
Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

I just can't come up with the right words.  This is amazing, scary as fuck, but amazing.  You scare me sometimes Dok, I'm not afraid of you, but damn you can scare me.

My brains isn't working very well, and I just can't say what I want, sorry...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kiaransalee on September 24, 2010, 06:39:07 PM
I just can't come up with the right words.  This is amazing, scary as fuck, but amazing.  You scare me sometimes Dok, I'm not afraid of you, but damn you can scare me.

My brains isn't working very well, and I just can't say what I want, sorry...

That's okay, there's a bit of that going around.   :lulz:
Molon Lube