News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

10.30.10 Rally

Started by Chairman Risus, September 26, 2010, 12:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krez

Well I was there. Really couldn't see or hear a thing. If there were other Discordians there I wouldn't of been able to tell. It would be like looking for a specific bit of hay in  hay stack. The signs and banners were sureal. All somewhat Eris inspired. But the crowds were huge and the loudspeakers sucked and there were only a few small "jumbotrons" that most people couldn't see. People were in their halloween costumes. Everyone who watched it on TV got a much better view of the whole thing. We were stuck in the Metro (DC's subway) going the wrong direction to get to a station that the train's wouldn't be already packed. We ended up there an hour late.

All in all I realized something. My ego just can't take going to a rally to be part of the masses. This was my first rally (and probably my last) and I went as if I was going to a concert or some such entertainment event. I wanted to see a show and having worked in AV most of my working life I was used to the idea of putting on a show and making it so people could see and hear that show. That wasn't what this was about and I shouldn't of expected that. This was about getting as many people in one place as possable to make a point to everyone else not there. It wan't that the show was there for me (and everyone else there) the masses were there as part of the show for the rest of the country. Like I said, my ego didn't like that very much. I still don't know what happened on stage or what was said.

Cramulus

ah that sucks! sorry to hear. Do you think the rally accomplished its goal?

Jenne

Huh.  I think, Krez, you should send The Daily Show and Colbert Report your observations, then.  I mean, they made a big deal at the end of their "show"/rally that they'd tried hard to make it worth your time, effort and money to come to see them live...and the fact that this wasn't in actuality the case is a sad testament to blowhardness.  Not that I think that was intentional.  I have to admit I found the schtick a little canned and that it looked slapped together at the last second, some of it.

But I do think Stewart and Colbert had great intentions of proving the silent majority wanted what a new NBC (or was it ABC) poll showed:  85% of the country wants Dems and Republicans to work together, even if it means putting down the weaponry and not standing on principle.

Too bad the voters and the districts that are now drawn up have left all moderates that have run in the past and are now in the race of their careers basically extinct.  The House and the Senate are going to be even more factionalized than ever before.  WAY TO GO AMERICA!  

Cain

The Repubs and Dems are working together: to shaft everyone else.  There is a consensus on foreign policy, more or less.  There is a consensus on counter-terrorism, more or less.  There is a consensus on the power of the executive office, more or less.  And while the Teabaggers and some malcontents in the House may whine, there was a consensus on the bailouts.

You know, it's almost like there is a pattern to this...

Krez

It was a series of technical issues and not understanding the best way to put on a live show. It appeared to me that they had TV producers doing the planning when they should of hired some big time rock show producers. If they hires the same people that produced Obama's Inaguration they would of done a better job, technicaly. But I had to realize that it was a rally and not a show. Think about MLK's speach on the mall many years ago. They didn't have "jumbotrons" or line aray speakers. they had bull horns and bigger crowds. It isn't about the show.

Doktor Howl

So, how did the rally go?  I was hanging out with perverts and took the weekend off from politics.
Molon Lube

Krez

I don't think we will know until after the election. and even then we probably still won't know. For me it was just one big crowd.

Cain

Quote from: Krez on November 01, 2010, 03:47:37 PM
It was a series of technical issues and not understanding the best way to put on a live show. It appeared to me that they had TV producers doing the planning when they should of hired some big time rock show producers. If they hires the same people that produced Obama's Inaguration they would of done a better job, technicaly. But I had to realize that it was a rally and not a show. Think about MLK's speach on the mall many years ago. They didn't have "jumbotrons" or line aray speakers. they had bull horns and bigger crowds. It isn't about the show.

I heard that as well.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Krez on November 01, 2010, 04:03:13 PM
I don't think we will know until after the election. and even then we probably still won't know. For me it was just one big crowd.

How big?
Molon Lube

Krez

Big enough that when we finally got to the Judiciary square metro stop there were people crowding at least a block away trying to either get to a point where they could see something or get out of the mass of people. I have no way of telling really. When we went around back we were able to get a little closer on that side but still couldn't get onto the mall.

Cramulus

I wonder if it beat the size of beck's rally

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on November 01, 2010, 05:18:14 PM
I wonder if it beat the size of beck's rally

From HuffPo:
QuoteAccording to CBS News, 215,000 people showed up for the rally on Saturday. By comparison, CBS estimated that 87,000 -- just 40% of the Sanity Rally estimation -- attended Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally in August.

Canada's CTV, meanwhile, wrote that 250,000 people were estimated to have partaken in the Rally to Restore Sanity.

Earlier on Saturday, Brian Stelter tweeted that the Parks Service approximated that "well over 200,000" attended Saturday's rally.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the last yatto

Even with some media banning their employees from attending, by the tv overview you can tell this one was larger. Beck's there was empty spaces near the pool every now and then. This one just had the green field infront of congress where you could see the floor. And the park service opened that too later in the afternoon.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Quote from: Krez on November 01, 2010, 02:45:49 PM
Well I was there. Really couldn't see or hear a thing. If there were other Discordians there I wouldn't of been able to tell. It would be like looking for a specific bit of hay in  hay stack. The signs and banners were sureal. All somewhat Eris inspired. But the crowds were huge and the loudspeakers sucked and there were only a few small "jumbotrons" that most people couldn't see. People were in their halloween costumes. Everyone who watched it on TV got a much better view of the whole thing.

That's why instead of going to seattle, where there was a mini rally at westlake, I attempted something else. That Or find a way to have fun with the crowds like the mythbusters
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!