News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

The Parable of Dog (amended)

Started by Dimocritus, September 30, 2010, 11:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

Dog, for the most part, liked his life. Master fed him, and he had a decent enough yard, with just enough space to play and poop.

Dog, however, was curious and inteligent, and it wasn't so long before he realized the fence. Dog became obsessed with everything that happened on the other side of it. "Where is that car going? What's that smell? Far more exciting things happen out there, on the other side of this fence!" And soon, Dog began planning an escape.

Over the course of the next five nights, Dog endeavored to dig a hole, clear underneath the fence to the other side. To the land of freedom and opportunity.

On the morning after the fifth night, Dog escaped. Upon exiting his tunnel, Dog noticed a stray canine, intently observing a butterfly.

"Ho, there!" Dog called to the stray, "Don't you realize that you are free? Why aren't you running and playing, pooping and peeing on everything you see?"

The stray looked up at Dog and smiled. He said nothing, sniffed the grass a bit, and continued to regard the butterfly.

"Well, if you want to waste it, that's fine with me! I'm going to play and play, forever, without restriction! So long!" and Dog took off running.

With unrestrained glee, Dog took off running into the world, wild. His tongue slung out, flapping flagellently."The sights! The smells! Look! I am my own!" and he ran and ran...

...Right into traffic and got hit by a Greyhound.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

The Johnny

I like it, because its an enjoyable easy read with a funny punchline.

But i DONT like the subtext and moral of the story.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Jasper

Interesting story.  Freedom without understanding is more dangerous than no freedom.

Prince Glittersnatch III

What kind of person names a child "Dog"?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Don Coyote

The moral of the story, is check your yard for holes daily and fill them with rock.

The Johnny

Sounds like a fun game to guess the moral of the story, so heres my try:

"Do not test, or. you. will. DIE."
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on October 01, 2010, 12:03:05 AM
Sounds like a fun game to guess the moral of the story, so heres my try:

"Do not test, or. you. will. DIE."

:lulz: :lulz: I suppose that depends on how you look at it, I guess. Maybe ask Sig to 'splain it to you.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Jasper

If I took it correctly, the Aesop is that while freedom is an ideal to strive toward, it will kill you if you are reckless with it.  Freedom isn't Disneyland, and freedom isn't a bouncy air filled winnie the pooh castle.  It has dangerous elements that are also free to behave as they will, and to move in that environment is to be constrained by its' realities.

The Johnny

My interpretation might seem short-sighted, but i dont think it is, and i understand that the other interpretation works too.

Im not sure yet what is bugging me about it. Something along the lines that people are idiots like dogs that are better off not moving out of the status quo because they'll just fuck it up.

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I liked it. Charging headlong, unprepared, without forethought into your newfound freedom may negate the very freedom you fought to achieve.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on October 01, 2010, 12:39:39 AM

My interpretation might seem short-sighted, but i dont think it is, and i understand that the other interpretation works too.

Im not sure yet what is bugging me about it. Something along the lines that people are idiots like dogs that are better off not moving out of the status quo because they'll just fuck it up.

Dogs are not idiots!

Freedom without responsibility is dangerous.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Henny Youngman on October 01, 2010, 03:04:57 PM

Dogs are not idiots!

And freedom without nudity is useless.

So I'm gonna walk the streets of Portland, Oregon naked before I die.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 04:52:06 PM

Dogs are not idiots!

You do realize that will be the REASON you die, right?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 01, 2010, 05:35:03 PM

Dogs are not idiots!

You do realize that will be the REASON you die, right?

I'm okay with that.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dogs are not idiots!

I was wondering what the Apocalypse would look like.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."