Started by Cain, October 04, 2010, 04:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 04, 2010, 06:32:01 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 04, 2010, 06:27:05 PM

our definitions of win differ.

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Dok,
Will be ignoring your drivel in the future.

Wow. Is he saying that all of Korea should be under that maniac from the north?  :?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Henny Youngman on October 04, 2010, 06:33:34 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Dok,

Wow. Is he saying that all of Korea should be under that maniac from the north?  :?

No, he's saying he owned the fuck out of himself, and now he's going to dig his heels in and redefine the English language to avoid admitting he may have been wrong about something.

Diagnosis:  He's a howler monkey, not an actual person.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 04, 2010, 06:18:43 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 04, 2010, 06:03:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 04, 2010, 05:41:34 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 04, 2010, 04:46:18 PM
and there's no way we'd ever win a land war against them.

Yeah, that's why we lost Korea. 

:hosrie:

is that a pwny?  

The Pickle is unfamiliar with the proper use of this emote.

It signifies massive self-ownage.  In this case, on your part.

*looks at the war that followed it and the current state of relations in the country*

good link Charley, thnx.  I've done more down and dirty research on Vietnam than The Korean War, as far as battles goes. 

Grandfather was in Vietnam, but not Korea, so it isn't as personal a war for me.  I'll get to it all eventually though.

Explain please.

What do they teach in history classes these days?  :?

LMNO

You know, it often seems to me like the problem is that nobody is bothering to explain what the hell they're talking about.

For example:  DP, so what is your definition of 'win', and how does it contrast with what you think Dok Howl's is?

I mean, for fuck's sake.  You totally open yourself up to this shit when you say that there's a difference of terms, and then don't go on to explain what they are.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Henny Youngman on October 04, 2010, 06:37:19 PM

America = always bad.

Granted, we've done more than our share of misbehaving, but the trend for the last 25 years has been to discount anything we've actually accomplished, and blame us for EVERYTHING, no matter what.

So, for example, we "lost" Korea, even though we obtained all of our objectives in the war (return the North across the 38th parallel), and even though we fought a million or so Chinese to a standstill, and then pushed them back all the way to the 38th parallel.

And not only did we lose it, we were big meanies for picking on the helpless North.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 04, 2010, 06:38:32 PM
You know, it often seems to me like the problem is that nobody is bothering to explain what the hell they're talking about.

For example:  DP, so what is your definition of 'win', and how does it contrast with what you think Dok Howl's is?

I mean, for fuck's sake.  You totally open yourself up to this shit when you say that there's a difference of terms, and then don't go on to explain what they are.

See above.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 04, 2010, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: Henny Youngman on October 04, 2010, 06:37:19 PM

America = always bad.

Granted, we've done more than our share of misbehaving, but the trend for the last 25 years has been to discount anything we've actually accomplished, and blame us for EVERYTHING, no matter what.

So, for example, we "lost" Korea, even though we obtained all of our objectives in the war (return the North across the 38th parallel), and even though we fought a million or so Chinese to a standstill, and then pushed them back all the way to the 38th parallel.

And not only did we lose it, we were big meanies for picking on the helpless North.

I suppose it would be redundant to point out that as per treaty agreement with the Soviets on Apr 10, 1945 that we all agreed to divide the country at the 38th parallel? I mean, since Korea was a Japanese colony and all. This was done 5 days before Japans surrender.

History, it's in print.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 04, 2010, 06:34:55 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Dok,

No, he's saying he owned the fuck out of himself, and now he's going to dig his heels in and redefine the English language to avoid admitting he may have been wrong about something.

OOK!

I said said there's no way we'd win a land war against mainland china.  Granted, I didn't site any proof to back up this assertion, so take issue with that if you want.

Charlie: nope, didn't say anything even resembling that.  A cease fire that is still bringing tension after a decade of wars that happened almost half a century ago does not equal win as far as I'm concerned.  Take issue with that as well if you want. 

at least no definition of win that I've ever heard of.

I can't hardly recall what was taught to me in high school regarding Korea and Vietnam.  I started getting into Vietnam because of what my Grandfather had to say about it, and read a few books about the subject.  

Howl, didn't say America was bad at all.  Haven't even implied it.  

What would my definition of win have been?  After the war broke out, pushed the Chinese and Russian communists out that occupied the north after WWII and actively supported turning the government of North Korea over to the South.  

of course, this in the mindset of the time.  I don't personally advocate for war and regime change through foreign intervention.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think we lost Korea in the war of Public Relations. Kind of like the way Israel lost during the First Intifada. You can achieve your goals and half of the planet will still think your asshats if all they see are big bad soldiers vs helpless innocent kids with rocks.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 04, 2010, 06:58:06 PM

What would my definition of win have been?  After the war broke out, pushed the Chinese and Russian communists out that occupied the north after WWII and actively supported turning the government of North Korea over to the South.  

So, obtaining the objectives set forth by the political body authorizing the war (the UN) wasn't good enough.  We had to turn it into an act of aggression, instead of simply returning things to the status quo ante bellum.

And why couldn't we win a war against China?  I mean, other than your bald, unsupported statement?
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 04, 2010, 06:58:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 04, 2010, 06:34:55 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Dok,

OOK!

I said said there's no way we'd win a land war against mainland china.  Granted, I didn't site any proof to back up this assertion, so take issue with that if you want.

Charlie: nope, didn't say anything even resembling that.  A cease fire that is still bringing tension after a decade of wars that happened almost half a century ago does not equal win as far as I'm concerned.  Take issue with that as well if you want. 

at least no definition of win that I've ever heard of.

I can't hardly recall what was taught to me in high school regarding Korea and Vietnam.  I started getting into Vietnam because of what my Grandfather had to say about it, and read a few books about the subject.  

Howl, didn't say America was bad at all.  Haven't even implied it.  

of course, this in the mindset of the time.  I don't personally advocate for war and regime change through foreign intervention.

Please see my earlier post concerning the Treaty with the Soviets concerning the division of Korea.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 04, 2010, 07:00:25 PM
I think we lost Korea in the war of Public Relations.

It's a good thing that public relations were pretty much irrelevant in that war.

We lost in the minds of American yahoos that think of WWII as the standard for wars, rather than a very obvious exception.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Henny Youngman on October 04, 2010, 07:01:45 PMPlease see my earlier post concerning the Treaty with the Soviets concerning the division of Korea.

Bah...What's article VI of the US constitution, when we could be welcomed by millions of grateful, American flag-waving Iraqis North Koreans?
Molon Lube

Adios

Also to point out the blatantly obvious, the soviets were our allies in the war. Allies. Not enemies.