News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Unlimited Catholic Fail

Started by Adios, October 05, 2010, 03:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

An official with the Vatican criticized the decision to award the Nobel prize for medicine to British doctor Robert G. Edwards for his work on in vitro fertilization, Italy's official news agency ANSA reported Tuesday.

Ignazio Carrasco de Paula, president of the Pontifical Academy for Life, said giving the award to Edwards was "completely inappropriate," according to the news agency.

He said Edwards' work had created a market for human eggs and created problems of embryos being frozen, the news agency said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/05/sweden.nobel.medicine/index.html?hpt=T2

How dare this man act as a god? Science is the hand maiden of the devil, I guess.

Remington

Catholics failing? I don't see how this is news.
Is it plugged in?

Reverend Smeg the Kilted

-----BEGIN DISCORDIAN CODE BLOCK-----
VERSION 1.0
DCM/DO/>DADA Te/r c--(*) s+: a- comp+ P++ E F+ R* !tv b+++ OM6 RAW DC e h+ r* ys+++ k++ WEB"http://www.flyingsquirrelsonfire.com"
------END DISCORDIAN CODE BLOCK------

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Remington on October 05, 2010, 04:11:55 PM
Catholics failing? I don't see how this is news.
It's not news, but they are always on the cutting edge of finding innovative ways to fail. Take, for instance, Bill Donohue, president of the conservative Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights. Everything that this man says is pure bat guano. His entire organization consists of him, 3 secretaries and a very very busy fax machine. Anytime someone comes even close to criticizing the Catholic Church or offends his very delicate sensibilities he sends out a mad press release to every news gathering organziation in America. And, somehow, there are people who actually take him seriously. He has claimed that the reason that there have been so many sexual scandals in the Catholic Church is because a) "liberals" let gays into the church and b) that 14 year old were somehow capable of seducing poor, innocent priests. This man is a pure gold main of FAIL.

ALSO: Gay teenagers who commit suicide probably deserved it: http://www.standardnewswire.com/news/950375623.html
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Remington

The thing that gets me is the subject matter.

Editorial room:
"Hey, we've got a great story about Science and Biology coming up."
"Awesome. I'll call the Vatican in the afternoon to see what they think about it."
:? :? :?

Why should anyone give a fuck what the Vatican thinks about advances in Biology and Science? That's like asking psychiatrists for their professional opinion on a fucking space mission or something.

Is it plugged in?

Jasper

Juana

Nah. Just get rid of Pope Palpatine. And possibly his successor, if the man also decides to undo John Paul II's work and Vatican II. I mean, the current pope brought back lace (ffs, the stuff at the church I went to looked like the stuff on my grandmother's curtain rods), Latin masses, and Super Priest outfits for Vespers masses. That in itself is reason enough.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jasper

I want most of it destroyed.  Mostly their money and treasure, though.  I would be fine with just breaking their backs politically.

Juana

Why?  The politics I understand, but the rest of it?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jasper

They've done enough to warrant it.

Juana

That would be the political thing to me (because nothing would infuriate them like being cut out of everything more than they already are), but ok. That works, I suppose.

Jasper

Also, I have a weakness.  When people insist on believing in something demonstrably false that harms others and spread it around as widely as possible, I have a slightly "nuke from orbit" stance.

E.O.T.

I ABSOLUTELY

do not get why the 'vatican' has not been sieged entirely for its lockdown on materials belonging to the people of the world. i mean, i do get it, but the everything would be better off with all that as public access.

SHUT 'EM DOWN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4D-GbQ9A4
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Cain

I'm with Sigmatic on this.  If you want to learn about the kind of society the Vatican approves of, just look at the Papal States.  Pretty much nothing has changed internally since then, at least amongst the most influential groups.

Juana

It was the "taking all their stuff" thing that I didn't get. They do do some good work, after all (most of which seems to be done by nuns), and they need money for that. Also, where would you like to stick the paintings and treasures instead?

I'm saying this now: I grew up with John Paul II at the helm of the church, whom I liked, and once upon a time I was fairly devout, so I have some nostalgia for parts of it. The rest of it? No. It wasn't why I left, but it sure as hell helped me shut that door behind me.

ETA: I don't think I'm expressing my loathing for the society that they would like well enough, or how they've protected those who ought to be defrocked immediately and left to the criminal courts. Because I do loathe that and their various political games. I just miss the good parts of it in abstract sense.