News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Unlimited Catholic Fail

Started by Adios, October 05, 2010, 03:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Try decontextualizing it, for perspective.  Say some old old organization has commtted the same crimes of the catholic church, sexually repressed countless millions, et cetera et cetera, but they also have a small division that runs soup kitchens and helps the needy.

Even if the participants in the humantarian aid are well meaning and good, it still looks like a feeble attempt at PR from the organization's point of view.  It wouldn't exist if the rest of it didn't need to improve it's image.

Juana

I understand where you're coming from. I agree that those are crimes and ought to be dealt with. I just don't think that taking all their stuff away is the way to do it. I'd like to see the church humbled and on its knees, though. Clearly, the revelation of decades of hiding pedophiles and abuse of children in general by clergy hasn't done it, nor has their past of incredible cruelty and curder, so I'm not sure how to do that. Ideally, it would redirect their energy into charity work.

Anyway.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

"When men are free then mankind will be free..."

Hiumans will kick the Catholic Church to the Curb when they're ready to and nothing before that will help. Unless, of course, you raise an army and kill several thousand people, that generally gets people to change their religion pretty quickly.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

My reasoning is that they're rich, and it's the only concrete, ethically destroyable source of power they have.  You can't really destroy the faith in them, unless you're willing to go the complete monster route, so financial warfare is the next best thing.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 06, 2010, 10:22:51 PM
My reasoning is that they're rich, and it's the only concrete, ethically destroyable source of power they have.  You can't really destroy the faith in them, unless you're willing to go the complete monster route, so financial warfare is the next best thing.

They're pretty fucking rich... I mean like nation level rich (more rich than many nations)... and they have a helluva lot of loyal followers that will give them more money if you take what they have... and they have lots of loyal and smart bankers and politicians.

Aim for the minds of the humans, eventually they'll take care of the rest. Or start a war...

Jasper

If there was some way to make the Vatican unprofitable, that would be ideal.

Make everyone realize it's a business.  Just like wal mart, or the US.

Everything's a fucking business.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 06, 2010, 10:31:51 PM
If there was some way to make the Vatican unprofitable, that would be ideal.

Make everyone realize it's a business.  Just like wal mart, or the US.

Everything's a fucking business.

Its like a giant mega strip club designed to take your money and make you feel good... except the chances of getting laid in a Catholic church is higher... esp if you're an underage boy.

Juana

No, they have political power as well, though I suppose you're right on money being easier. And I really would like to see them stop attempting to destroy companies that produce contraception via the stock market.

Also, pointing them out as a business won't stop them in the least.

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 06, 2010, 10:29:46 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 06, 2010, 10:22:51 PM

They're pretty fucking rich... I mean like nation level rich (more rich than many nations)... and they have a helluva lot of loyal followers that will give them more money if you take what they have... and they have lots of loyal and smart bankers and politicians.

Aim for the minds of the humans, eventually they'll take care of the rest. Or start a war...
This. Almost two billion people. It claims one billion. And perhaps the church will adapt to it. I doubt it, though, because it likes to think of itself as timeless and not a crusty old thing.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jasper

If the church suddenly had no private funds, I doubt it's constituents would bounce it back much.

Strike the sheperd, etc.

Juana

A good chuck of its money already comes from followers. I'm having trouble pinning down how much, though. An ounce from the many and all that, you know, and again, one billion followers.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hover Cat on October 06, 2010, 11:05:27 PM
A good chuck of its money already comes from followers. I'm having trouble pinning down how much, though. An ounce from the many and all that, you know, and again, one billion followers.

1 billion people that give 10% of everything they earn... and some give more. Even if they only earn $10 a week, that a billion dollars a week income for the Church.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 06, 2010, 10:22:14 PM
"When men are free then mankind will be free..."

Hiumans will kick the Catholic Church to the Curb when they're ready to and nothing before that will help. Unless, of course, you raise an army and kill several thousand people, that generally gets people to change their religion pretty quickly.

Rule does not apply to Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Zoroastrians, Hindus, Buddhists, Orthodox Christians....

Matter of fact, the more people you kill the stronger the religion tends to get.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Juana

ETA: What Twid said.

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 06, 2010, 11:45:00 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on October 06, 2010, 11:05:27 PM

1 billion people that give 10% of everything they earn... and some give more. Even if they only earn $10 a week, that a billion dollars a week income for the Church.
Doesn't work that way anymore. 1) "give what you can" is emphasized heavily, because it means more than someone who lavishes the church with gifts and money, but could give more (isn't that a great idea?) and 2) it isn't compulsory; my mother doesn't give anything approaching ten percent to the church, and never has. This applies to pretty much every Catholic, I think, except for hardcore old ones.

Jasper

Yeah, like I said, killing them off isn't viable, ethical, or likely to work.

And most monotheisms do tend to flourish under persecution.  They like it. 

Best way is to cripple their ability to influence politics, and satirize them.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 07, 2010, 12:30:51 AM
Yeah, like I said, killing them off isn't viable, ethical, or likely to work.

And most monotheisms do tend to flourish under persecution.  They like it. 

Best way is to cripple their ability to influence politics, and satirize them.

Yeah, having prophecies stating that martyrs are God's favorites have a way of doing that....
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS