Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 06:47:13 PM
Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 06:46:12 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 06:40:13 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 06:38:06 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 08, 2010, 06:18:22 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 06:11:44 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 08, 2010, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: Pēleus on October 08, 2010, 05:55:25 PM
isn't it entrapment if officers are the ones that made up the five extra people?

nope.  He intended to violate the ordinance.

Prove it.

his statement after his arrest that he'd be out there doing it again is very revealing.  He's doing it as a protest.  I can't talk to the guy and ask him myself but I'd be willing to bet he knew there was an ordinance before he set out to do this.

So you can't prove it. Check.

I think the guy's own words count.

But what of it?  It's a bad law, and shouldn't be obeyed.

This, and as long as he abides by any legal punishment he's given, he's following in a long line of great people like Martin Luther King, Jr. who used civil disobedience. And he gets all kinds of brownie points with some jackasses if he points that out.

How would admiring someone who emulates MLK make you a jackass?

I was referring to members of the media, not him.The media is full of jackasses, though not everyone is. Most of the people in the media would fawn over him if he pointed this fact out to them, including some of the jackasses that would condemn him otherwise. Sorry for the confusion there.

ETA: Jesus fucking Christ, guys, give me a chance.  :lulz:

Here at PD, if you put your tongue on the sidewalk somebody is either going to step on it, piss on it, or shit on it.  :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 08, 2010, 07:00:33 PM
Oh, I got it.

"Some of the Media are jackasses, but if you compared yourself to MLK, they'd change their minds and praise you, instead."

People in the media who admire MLK are jackasses.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 07:02:23 PM
Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 06:47:13 PM
Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 06:46:12 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 06:40:13 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 06:38:06 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 08, 2010, 06:18:22 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 06:11:44 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 08, 2010, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: Pēleus on October 08, 2010, 05:55:25 PM
isn't it entrapment if officers are the ones that made up the five extra people?

nope.  He intended to violate the ordinance.

Prove it.

his statement after his arrest that he'd be out there doing it again is very revealing.  He's doing it as a protest.  I can't talk to the guy and ask him myself but I'd be willing to bet he knew there was an ordinance before he set out to do this.

So you can't prove it. Check.

I think the guy's own words count.

But what of it?  It's a bad law, and shouldn't be obeyed.

This, and as long as he abides by any legal punishment he's given, he's following in a long line of great people like Martin Luther King, Jr. who used civil disobedience. And he gets all kinds of brownie points with some jackasses if he points that out.

I was referring to members of the media, not him.The media is full of jackasses, though not everyone is. Most of the people in the media would fawn over him if he pointed this fact out to them, including some of the jackasses that would condemn him otherwise. Sorry for the confusion there.

ETA: Jesus fucking Christ, guys, give me a chance.  :lulz:

Here at PD, if you put your tongue on the sidewalk somebody is either going to step on it, piss on it, or shit on it.  :lulz:

OR NAIL IT TO THE GROUND AND SING THE MACARENA!
Molon Lube

Phox

Quote from: Cain on October 08, 2010, 06:57:57 PM
I think Phox meant that if you styled it as MLK style civil disobedience, a lot of people who would otherwise try and punish you for it would suddenly cease their attacks, knowing the reputation that MLK has and how opposing that reputation makes you look (outside of a Rand Paul rally, at least).

Maybe.

But it's hard to parse, no doubt.

That's exactly what I meant, Cain, but with a slightly narrower scope. Though, you are correct, it applies to other people and not just the media. Thanks.

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 08, 2010, 07:00:19 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 06:59:04 PM
Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 06:57:39 PM

I was referring to members of the media, not him.

maybe this:

members of media=jackasses

being admired by members of media=being admired by jackasses

I think that's what she meant.

Yes, this too. Thanks for the help, Pickles. I'm having a harder time than usual articulating my thoughts to day it seems.
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 07:02:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 08, 2010, 07:00:33 PM
Oh, I got it.

"Some of the Media are jackasses, but if you compared yourself to MLK, they'd change their minds and praise you, instead."

People in the media who admire MLK are jackasses.

No, Dok, not everyone who admires him for being like MLK is a jackass. Some jackasses might admire (or at least purport to admire) him if he points out the similarities. They aren't jackasses because they admire MLK, they are jackasses because they wouldn't make the connection on their own and they say other jackass things when reporting on other stories.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 07:07:08 PM
No, Dok, not everyone who admires him for being like MLK is a jackass. Some jackasses might admire (or at least purport to admire) him if he points out the similarities. They aren't jackasses because they admire MLK, they are jackasses because they wouldn't make the connection on their own and they say other jackass things when reporting on other stories.

Well, let's see.  Glenn Beck pissed all over MLK's memory while giggling and jabbering utter nonsense.  Then he spent the day before yesterday laughing at the guy whose house burned down while the fire department watched.

Jackass?

Walter Cronkite often expressed his admiration for MLK's personal and moral courage, without ever trying to associate himself with MLK.

Jackass?

Ex-Arizona Governor Meacham wouldn't allow MLK day to be a day off for state employees, stating "We've gone this long without a nigger day, we can go a little longer." (or something very similar).  He was overheard (and recorded) by a reporter who lost his shit and wrote it up, bringing down Arizona's most crooked governor ever. 

Jackass (the reporter)?
Molon Lube

Phox

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 07:11:49 PM
Well, let's see.  Glenn Beck pissed all over MLK's memory while giggling and jabbering utter nonsense.  Then he spent the day before yesterday laughing at the guy whose house burned down while the fire department watched.

Jackass?
Yes, for all of those things.
Walter Cronkite often expressed his admiration for MLK's personal and moral courage, without ever trying to associate himself with MLK.

Jackass?
No. Though, I would argue that Cronkite was around since before the media lost most of its integrity, so I'm not sure if I would include guys like him in what I referred to as the media.
Ex-Arizona Governor Meacham wouldn't allow MLK day to be a day off for state employees, stating "We've gone this long without a nigger day, we can go a little longer." (or something very similar).  He was overheard (and recorded) by a reporter who lost his shit and wrote it up, bringing down Arizona's most crooked governor ever.  

Jackass (the reporter)?

Not for this incidence, at least. may or may not be one on the whole, but probably not.

Point taken, Dok. I'm being a bit too broad in my assertions. Let me try to rephrase. "Certain people in the media (and in the world at large) are jackasses. If left to their own way of thinking, they will completely ignore the parallels between this person feeding the homeless and MLK's civil disobedience. If he points out these parallels, some of these people will undoubtedly deny his claims, while others will publicly go over to his side. Whether they truly admire him, or are only saying so to save face is not important. So, to sum up what I originally meant, the guy should point out that he is taking a page out of MLK's book, because it would get some of the media monkeys off his back."

ETA: Quote fail.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 08, 2010, 06:44:24 PM
Until someone feeds fifty random people salmonella-laced chicken salad with a side of botulism.

So make family reunions and company picnics illegal, too, while you're at it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 06:47:30 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 06:46:48 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 08, 2010, 06:44:24 PM
Until someone feeds fifty random people salmonella-laced chicken salad with a side of botulism.

How many got a chance to not eat out of a dumpster that day?

There are no bacteria in dumpsters.   :lulz:

None at all... no, it's MUCH more risky to accept food from a do-gooder.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

I don't know about this particular case, but Food Not Bombs has been known to dumpster dive for produce.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Formerly something else...

Adios

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on October 09, 2010, 01:58:29 AM
I don't know about this particular case, but Food Not Bombs has been known to dumpster dive for produce.

:cn:

E.O.T.

ACTIVISTS

of any kind

ARE TERRORISTS

end of discussion.(!)
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Adios

Quote from: E.O.T. on October 09, 2010, 04:09:04 AM
ACTIVISTS

of any kind

ARE TERRORISTS

end of discussion.(!)

I do not agree.

Bruno

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 03:33:12 AM

The most reliable source is probably their own website, which mentions dumpster diving, never pnce condemning it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dumpster+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodnotbombs.net%2F&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=f5k&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=off

They are also mentioned near the bottom of the Wikipedia entry for "Dumpster Diving".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving

and dumpster diving is mentioned near the top of the page for "Food Not Bombs".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Not_Bombs

Bruno

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on October 09, 2010, 04:20:39 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 03:33:12 AM

The most reliable source is probably their own website, which mentions dumpster diving, never once condemning it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dumpster+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodnotbombs.net%2F&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=f5k&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=off

They are also mentioned near the bottom of the Wikipedia entry for "Dumpster Diving".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving

and dumpster diving is mentioned near the top of the page for "Food Not Bombs".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Not_Bombs

Adios

Odly I saw no evidence. Of course I am heavily medicated.