News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

#'s on the Teaparty

Started by Thurnez Isa, October 06, 2010, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 09:04:16 PM
I fully intend to vote for Romney in the republican primary. And not as a joke.

Feel free to pile on now.

I don't like that fucker.  seems slimy to me.

also, there's that whole would probably green light going to war with Iran thing.

nevermind the part about being a member of a far right religious group cult.

wont catch me voting for him.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

Out of the Republican front runners, Romney is actually probably among the less insane*.  He's just cynical and successful enough that he might not give a fuck about listening to the religious right beyond throwing them a bone or two near election time, and using all the right words to get their Godfrenzy on.  He's still a crazy fuck by any reasonable standard, but, uh, this is Sparta politics, standards, reasonable or otherwise, do not apply.

*Compared with Palin, Newt Gingrinch, Jindal and HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! that is.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2010, 09:20:37 PM
Out of the Republican front runners, Romney is actually probably among the less insane*.  He's just cynical and successful enough that he might not give a fuck about listening to the religious right beyond throwing them a bone or two near election time, and using all the right words to get their Godfrenzy on.  He's still a crazy fuck by any reasonable standard, but, uh, this is Sparta politics, standards, reasonable or otherwise, do not apply.

*Compared with Palin, Newt Gingrinch, Jindal and HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! that is.

I see what you mean but damn, they're ALL fucking WarTards and would probably surround themselves with fucking Keynesians.

The only one who would provide me with laughs is Palin but I'd never forgive myself.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 14, 2010, 09:47:49 PM

I see what you mean but damn, they're ALL fucking WarTards and would probably surround themselves with fucking Keynesians.

The only one who would provide me with laughs is Palin but I'd never forgive myself.

Keynesians? Isn't that what our current Stimulus policy is based on... ie the one that the GOP says its against?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 14, 2010, 09:53:45 PM

Keynesians? Isn't that what our current Stimulus policy is based on... ie the one that the GOP says its against?

It's an election year.  I believe the rule is play to your base.

I don't believe for a second they'd be saying they were against it if it wouldn't mean paying for in at the polls.

the other answer is yes, Keynes advocated deficit and government spending in recessions.

no evidence this is working at all, but lots of evidence it's being abused.

BabylonHoruv

He strikes me as the least bad option personally.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 14, 2010, 09:58:18 PM
Out of the Republican front runners, Romney is actually probably among the less insane*.  He's just cynical and successful enough that he might not give a fuck about listening to the religious right beyond throwing them a bone or two near election time, and using all the right words to get their Godfrenzy on.  He's still a crazy fuck by any reasonable standard, but, uh, this is Sparta politics, standards, reasonable or otherwise, do not apply.

It's an election year.  I believe the rule is play to your base.

I don't believe for a second they'd be saying they were against it if it wouldn't mean paying for in at the polls.

the other answer is yes, Keynes advocated deficit and government spending in recessions.

Keynes also said that during times of growth, taxes should be raised and spending cut, which is how you pay for deficit spending during the recession (and limit the recessions in the first place.)  But nobody ever wants to raise taxes and cut spending during boom years, so Keynes is only ever popular during recessions.

The current economic model favored by conservative partisans is "supply-side economics," which as far as I can tell amounts to "if the suppliers (i.e., industry, big business, etc) have enough money and de-regulation, good things will trickle down the the consumers."  IIRC this is what most of the Bush tax cuts / early stimulus was based on.  I could be wrong, though.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on October 15, 2010, 01:06:36 AM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 14, 2010, 09:58:18 PM
Out of the Republican front runners, Romney is actually probably among the less insane*.  He's just cynical and successful enough that he might not give a fuck about listening to the religious right beyond throwing them a bone or two near election time, and using all the right words to get their Godfrenzy on.  He's still a crazy fuck by any reasonable standard, but, uh, this is Sparta politics, standards, reasonable or otherwise, do not apply.

I see what you mean but damn, they're ALL fucking WarTards and would probably surround themselves with fucking Keynesian's.

Keynesian's? Isn't that what our current Stimulus policy is based on... ie the one that the GOP says its against?

It's an election year.  I believe the rule is play to your base.

Keynes also said that during times of growth, taxes should be raised and spending cut, which is how you pay for deficit spending during the recession (and limit the recessions in the first place.)  But nobody ever wants to raise taxes and cut spending during boom years, so Keynes is only ever popular during recessions.

The current economic model favored by conservative partisans is "supply-side economics," which as far as I can tell amounts to "if the suppliers (i.e., industry, big business, etc) have enough money and deregulation, good things will trickle down the the consumers."  IIRC this is what most of the Bush tax cuts / early stimulus was based on.  I could be wrong, though.

I believe the good things are supposed to trickle down to the workers.  we're all consumers.

people with more money will (hopefully) save some, and invest the rest in companies with growth potential.  Some will win, some will loose, but the idea is to keep ideas flowing and innovation fresh in order to compete with other companies. (this is simplified I know)

Keynes ideas were never meant to be combined with use of liquidity by early beneficiaries of a loose monetary policy. 

Things have been on a downward spiral ever since Bretton Woods fell apart.

Keynes probably didn't anticipate this level of debt, either:

look for the US credit rating to possibly be downgraded shortly.

Doktor Howl

Why?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 02:52:42 AM

I believe the good things are supposed to trickle down to the workers.  we're all consumers.

AND HOW'S THAT WORKING OUT FOR YOU, MR LAFFER?
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 02:56:04 AM

i dont know this "laffer" of who you speak

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 03:00:25 AM

Supply side snake oil salesman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

Proponent of the idea that if you tax less, you get more revenue, and that we should all be satisfied with the leavings of the ultra-rich, like sparrows picking undigested oats out of horse turds.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

oh, THAT laffer.  I dont agree with that assesment.  there a quite a bit of literature that helps disprove that curve.

didn't say I was a proponent, was just clarifying BTW

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 03:02:22 AM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 03:00:25 AM

I believe the good things are supposed to trickle down to the workers.  we're all consumers.

Supply side snake oil salesman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

Proponent of the idea that if you tax less, you get more revenue, and that we should all be satisfied with the leavings of the ultra-rich, like sparrows picking undigested oats out of horse turds.

while the ultra rich do tend to own large shares of mega corps or out right own them, they're still looking for profits for their share holders.

that means keeping a company lean, which any company has to do to turn profit and survive, and employ more people.

what are we discussing here?  tax breaks?  it's perfectly realistic for a small business owner that employs less that 50 people to have collect a personal income of more than 250,000/yr if he's also a smart investor, or employs one to invest his money.

I'm not getting his "leavings"

I'm gainfully employed by one and well taken care of for the work I do.

So we should punish everyone in that tax bracket for the sins of a few?

Requia ☣

No, they are there to make more profit than the year before for the shareholders.  If you make a billions dollars, every year without fail, the stock will never go up.  You have to actually increase the profits.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.