News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

A Problem

Started by Jasper, October 07, 2010, 01:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 07, 2010, 02:26:53 PM
That's a lot of power to give a passing fad.

Hipster as a term has been around since at least the 60's. that's not passing.  Hipster as a concept, those that are always trying to stay on the edge of fashion, has been around, at the very least, since the Victorian era.  A fop or a dandy not only acts like a hipster, they even dressed fairly similarly.

I'd say it's been around a lot longer and is tied into one of our basic drives.  We want to fit in, and we don't want to just fit in with everyone, we want to fit in with the cool people.  Just like any other monkey drive this tends to make us do really stupid things sometimes.

I don't think hipsters, as such, are a problem,  the drive to fit in may be, but I'd say it's less of a problem than the drive to clan identity, or the drive to submit to an Alpha.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 07, 2010, 02:08:07 AM
Personally I think we should be thinking of ways that hipsters can be utilized.

you can always burn them for fuel.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 07, 2010, 08:34:15 PM
HEY SERIOUSLY

where are these mythical hipsters?

about 60% of the world's supply of hipsters can be found in Brooklyn. 30% can be found in Portland, OR and the remaining 10% are scattered throughout liberal urban metropolises that have high concentrations of both crappy music and crappy coffee shops.

so, basically, the other 10% are in Austin.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 07, 2010, 02:49:01 PM
I think that the problem is that they're the uncool kids who are unaware that they are the uncool kids and try to be uncool to be ironic and cool but it just makes them more uncool.

ok that just made my head burst. But I've found a use for them.

I shall start my reality safari with them.

THIS
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 10, 2010, 10:27:00 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 07, 2010, 02:26:53 PM
That's a lot of power to give a passing fad.

Hipster as a term has been around since at least the 60's. that's not passing.  Hipster as a concept, those that are always trying to stay on the edge of fashion, has been around, at the very least, since the Victorian era.  A fop or a dandy not only acts like a hipster, they even dressed fairly similarly.

I'd say it's been around a lot longer and is tied into one of our basic drives.  We want to fit in, and we don't want to just fit in with everyone, we want to fit in with the cool people.  Just like any other monkey drive this tends to make us do really stupid things sometimes.

I don't think hipsters, as such, are a problem,  the drive to fit in may be, but I'd say it's less of a problem than the drive to clan identity, or the drive to submit to an Alpha.

Yep.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 10, 2010, 10:27:00 AM

We opften poke at the drives that motivate humans... Second Circuit behavior, labeling etc. and in some sense those things can be problematic. However, I wonder if it would actually be better without those drives for most people, or if most people function because of those drives? I mean, if no one ever labeled any group, what would that do for communication? If no one behaved territorially, how would that affect society?

I mean, for those humans who can escape it and work it out, awesome welcome to the giant golden submarine... but for the rest?

If we really destroyed The Machine, would people be free or broken?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 11, 2010, 10:06:13 PM

They'd be dead, because The Machine, like Soylent Green, is made out of people.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 11, 2010, 10:14:47 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on October 11, 2010, 10:06:13 PM

They'd be dead, because The Machine, like Soylent Green, is made out of people.

It continues to amaze me how few people get that. Still.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

It's easier to think The Machine is something else, rather than people like your neighbor or your friends.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Adios

Quote from: Hover Cat on October 11, 2010, 11:38:09 PM
It's easier to think The Machine is something else, rather than people like your neighbor or your friends.

Or you and me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 11, 2010, 11:39:52 PM

Or you and me.

This.

Adios

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 12, 2010, 12:04:04 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 11, 2010, 11:39:52 PM

Or you and me.

This.

The Horrible Truth™, like so many things is simplicity itself.

Jasper

Nobody willingly allows themselves to realize that they are a neuron in a neuron hating brain.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 12, 2010, 03:16:14 AM
Nobody willingly allows themselves to realize that they are a neuron in a neuron hating brain.
That presumes the MachineTM hates its CogsTM

Cramulus

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 12, 2010, 03:16:14 AM

heh

maybe it doesn't hate us

maybe it just has a drinking problem