News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Levi

Started by Lord Trout, August 13, 2004, 08:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Trout

My nephew Levi is a wonderful kid. He graduated from high school just this last June, and has spent this first summer of 'freedom' building a new computer and hanging out with his girlfriend. levi and I have also spent some time chatting, mostly about life in general, but sometimes about the serious threats we face today.

Like many kids nowadays, Levi despises the Bushies. He hates the war, the fact that we've lost crucial freedoms to the Patriot Act, and plans on voting for Kerry this year. He hopes that Kerry will pull the troops out of the Middle East, and do something to fix the economy (perhaps helping his family pull themselves out of poverty). Since he just turned 18, it will be the very first time he's getting to vote.

Unfortunately, Levi will be casting his very first ballot as an absentee voter, from some military base. He signed up for the Army at the start of his senior year in high school, since it was the only way he could get money for college. Despite his hatred of this stupid conflict, and the freaks behind it all, he still chose to sign on that damn dotted line.

The Recruiter assured Levi that his chosen duty would keep him far, far away from the war. So, what is the duty Levi signed up to be, which will keep him safe and sound (according to the ever-honest Recruiter)?

Combat Engineer. I shit you not.

So now Levi spends his last remaining summer days with his friends, and hopes he will return to see them someday soon. He ships out at the end of August for boot camp, then is scheduled to be sent to Germany for advanced training. Beyond that, Iraq, Afghanistan... who knows?

You may be asking yourself, "Just what the fuck does this have to do with me?" Very little, actually. Levi is just one of many young men being duped into joining the Military, on the hope that they will live long enough to make use of the benefits bestowed by the "G.I. Bill".

For his part, Levi has already prepared a short 'Last Will & Testament", just in case he does not return. Everything goes to his mom. I'm doubt she'll find comfort in that, if the day comes when somber men in uniforms knock on her door.
Well, shit.

Slarti

well that's depressing. damn army. college should be free.

Malaul

Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Slartibartfastwell that's depressing. damn army. college should be free.

you're right, college should be free, btucoporate america has conspired to make it not only mandatory, but expensive. remember, the world in which we live in is one in whcih anything may be bought or sold.
Hell is other people.

gnimbley

college should be unnecessary

joining the army should be unnecessary

having to say these things should be unnecessary

but such is life

tell Levi to duck, and to watch his buddy's back so he will watch Levi's

those who work best as a team are the most likely to survive, I think

Slarti

you're a wise gnome.

gnimbley

there is no such thing as a wise gnome

only lucky ones

:wink:

Bella

I'm sorry to hear about Levi, Shecky.

My daughter has been watching her friends and old classmates
go off to Iraq and Germany and Afghanistan and Korea for the past couple of years.
Every single one of them signed up in order to get a college education. So far, everybody's okay.
We'll add Levi to the list of people we're keeping our fingers crossed for.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Lord Trout

Thanks. I really didn't mean to depress anyone. It's just bugging me, now that his date for shipping out to Boot is drawing nigh (8/25).

1) Yes, college should be free, or at least it should be a hell of a lot easier to get an advanced education.

2) I can see the Army as a necessary evil, if it were used for National Defense, and not to mete out Bush's religious war, and to line the pockets of his corporate masters.

Once again, the poor fight and possibly die for the rich and privledged.
Well, shit.

Trollax

Quote from: Slartibartfastwell that's depressing. damn army. college should be free.

Over here, you join the military and they pay you to go to university...

I didn't do that for three reasons:

1.) despise the modern military in western society

2.) you must serve in the military for a period of four years plus twice as many years that you spent at university.

3.) not fit enough.

Zurtok Khan

Uggh, I'm 18 too, and I laughed at the recruiters when they came around to talk to me.  And I'm lucky enough (in some sense) that I have Asthma, Carpel Tunnels in both wrists (which on it's own won't keep you out of the army, but adds on to other things that will), and gay.  Not that being gay disqualifies me, but I would tell the draft officer, "I'm queer, do I HAVE to wear green?  I mean it just doesn't look good on me, red or blue are much better colors with my skin tone."  And you just imagine how it would continue from there.  I'd have the recruiter's panties in such a twist he would know what to do with himself.
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Gimoz

Im unlucky enough to live in a country with compulsory military sevice, but luckily that country is Sweden so I probably wont get sent to Iraq.
Yay.

Hwarang

It seems weird to offer condolences for something he willingly agreed to... but still- good luck to him.
3.14159265358... vs. 1.61803398874... = ?
( All Roads Lead to Infinity )

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: SheckyThanks. I really didn't mean to depress anyone. It's just bugging me, now that his date for shipping out to Boot is drawing nigh (8/25).

1) Yes, college should be free, or at least it should be a hell of a lot easier to get an advanced education.

2) I can see the Army as a necessary evil, if it were used for National Defense, and not to mete out Bush's religious war, and to line the pockets of his corporate masters.

Once again, the poor fight and possibly die for the rich and privledged.
It is not Bush's religious war.
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Slarti

it's bush's oil war!