News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Levi

Started by Lord Trout, August 13, 2004, 08:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: Hwarang...Is an oil war so wrong?
2. Stagnant lifeforms or societies die quickly.
so why are we continuing this weird reliance on oil when there are so many alternatives to it...
lets end this stagnant reliance on something we do not need.
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Hwarang

Quoteso why are we continuing this weird reliance on oil when there are so many alternatives to it...

No disagreement there. Two things though...

1. We've already set up bahjillions of dollars worth of oil industry infrastructure. Everything from oil wells to gas pumps to refineries to containment and hauling vehicles. As long as everything's in place, we should not needlessly throw all that money away. We should tap the oil dry. Use it up. Unless there is some environmental reason why we would want to keep it, but as far as I know, lack of fossil fuels in the earth's crust isn't going to harm anything.

2. We should start now in converting our automotive infrastructure over to hybrid or alternative fuels. It can't happen overnight, so we'll need to ramp this process up BEFORE the oil dries up. Which it will.
3.14159265358... vs. 1.61803398874... = ?
( All Roads Lead to Infinity )

Quote from: Hwarang
Quoteso why are we continuing this weird reliance on oil when there are so many alternatives to it...

No disagreement there. Two things though...

1. We've already set up bahjillions of dollars worth of oil industry infrastructure. Everything from oil wells to gas pumps to refineries to containment and hauling vehicles. As long as everything's in place, we should not needlessly throw all that money away. We should tap the oil dry. Use it up. Unless there is some environmental reason why we would want to keep it, but as far as I know, lack of fossil fuels in the earth's crust isn't going to harm anything.

2. We should start now in converting our automotive infrastructure over to hybrid or alternative fuels. It can't happen overnight, so we'll need to ramp this process up BEFORE the oil dries up. Which it will.
this still does not sugest why we need to go to war over oil... we have active oil wells in america as well as an oil reserve... we can be useing these while we change the infrastructure over ( as well as make a profit from selling our old used equipment to countries that are adament about useing oil)

Hwarang

All the oil we have access to (a few wells, some reserve barrels and an untapped field in the alaskan tundra) would last about two weeks. Drop in the bucket.

The smartest option would be to switch now to a more plentiful resource - hydrogen. Quite common on earth and in the universe :)
3.14159265358... vs. 1.61803398874... = ?
( All Roads Lead to Infinity )

Quote from: HwarangAll the oil we have access to (a few wells, some reserve barrels and an untapped field in the alaskan tundra) would last about two weeks. Drop in the bucket.

The smartest option would be to switch now to a more plentiful resource - hydrogen. Quite common on earth and in the universe :)
that would be an alternative energy source... and a damn good one as well.

CannedLizard

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferis
Quote from: HwarangAll the oil we have access to (a few wells, some reserve barrels and an untapped field in the alaskan tundra) would last about two weeks. Drop in the bucket.

that would be an alternative energy source... and a damn good one as well.

Costs more money than it makes. Oil will end the world one way or another.

Then there are other ways the world might go bye-bye.

P.s: For a nice mindfuck read this.
POEE Pre-Chaplain Neon Irwin of the Bahumbug Pre-Cabal, CG, UE, KoBaSN

Quote from: CannedLizard

why is it people always bring up these money and government ideas?!?!?

Wishfarple

Because they hate us.  

I swear, if I ever found a thread here that didn't end up involving echo-gnomics or polyticks at some point, I'd worry.
His Right Most Honorable Super Hella Reverend Llama Wishfart Rinpoche of the Church of Ed Gein (Deceased),
Temple of Cleveland

they are trying to kill me.

gnimbley

Quote from: Llama Wishfart RinpocheBecause they hate us.  

I swear, if I ever found a thread here that didn't end up involving echo-gnomics or polyticks at some point, I'd worry.

What's wrong with echo-gnomics?

Can't a gnome shout in a cave without somebody criticizing him?

Sheesh!

CannedLizard

By costing more money, I mean it uses more energy (from...well...oil) than it creates. Perhaps one day it'll work better, but don't expect it to be there in a coming emergency.
POEE Pre-Chaplain Neon Irwin of the Bahumbug Pre-Cabal, CG, UE, KoBaSN

By costing more money, I mean it uses more energy (from...well...oil) than it creates. Perhaps one day it'll work better, but don't expect it to be there in a coming emergency.
so let me get this right, in your veiw energy =money?

gnimbley

so let me get this right, in your veiw energy =money?

OMG the bunnies are rich!

::starts sucking up to the bunnies::

Trollax

Electro-static attraction actually works better than electrolosys for creating hydrogen/oxygen fuel-cells. the only problem is the plates have to be really close together. otherwise you can split water into its compnents with your car's regular 12V power supply.

Rupert Giles

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODDElectro-static attraction actually works better than electrolosys for creating hydrogen/oxygen fuel-cells. the only problem is the plates have to be really close together. otherwise you can split water into its compnents with your car's regular 12V power supply.

I've made many a bomb that way.