News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

"FLOCABULARY" - vs. dead white men

Started by E.O.T., October 07, 2010, 04:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-district-pushes-pause-on-hip-hop-curriculum/article/3500154?custom_click=lead_story_title

Known as Flocabulary, the program is a music-based educational tool that uses raps, rhythms and rhymes to help students learn and memorize everything from vocabulary and English to math and social studies.
About 15 teachers have complained or expressed concern about the rap song lyrics, said Ed Allen, president of the Oklahoma City American Federation of Teachers.
"I just don't think we were real careful where we deployed it," Allen said. "Not all parts of it are real affective for the more troubled youth."
It is the U.S. history curriculum that has raised concern.
One of the rap songs — "Old Dead White Men" — chronicles the shortcomings of the early leaders in the United States.
Of President James Monroe's tenure, the rap says: "White men getting richer than Enron./ They stepping on Indians, women and blacks./ Era of Good Feeling doesn't come with the facts."
That's followed up by an assessment of President Andrew Jackson's checkered dealings with American Indians.
"Andrew Jackson, thinks he's a tough guy./ Killing more Indians than there are stars in the sky./ Evil wars of Florida killing the Seminoles./ Saying hello, putting Creek in the hell holes./ Like Adolf Hitler he had the final solution./ 'No, Indians, I don't want you to live here anymore.'"
Springer said he was concerned about some of the lyrics, and that's why the district is holding off on the program until it's been evaluated.
Flocabulary CEO and co-founder Alex Rappaport said the lyrics are made intentionally provocative and sometimes humorous to create student engagement among some of the toughest-to-reach students in the nation.
"In general, the purpose of our program is to motivate students, and we often say the enemy here is student apathy," Rappaport said. "We want students to ask questions and challenge assumptions that are made and think critically about historical themes."

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Jasper

I approve of their most offensive examples. 

Andrew Jackson did some weak ass shit, and if it gets people interested in history, why not stain his legacy?  He earned any abuse he gets.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 07, 2010, 04:40:42 AM
I approve of their most offensive examples. 

Andrew Jackson did some weak ass shit, and if it gets people interested in history, why not stain his legacy?  He earned any abuse he gets.

Yes, but that's no excuse for bad rap.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Eh.  Most of it isn't anything special, and that stuff doesn't even try to educate.

Payne

They should just hire Immortal Technique for this.

At least he do rap gud. And he know's his shit.

Likely, that would be even more offensive to their delicate sensibilities though...

AFK

Apparently there needs to be more judicious checking of the flo? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

LMNO

ATTENTION: WHEN DEALING WITH FLOCABULARY, THERE IS LITTLE TO NO NEED TO PROTECT YO' NECK.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Suu

Someone had to do it.

I am now trying to filk Gin and Juice to some sort of history lesson, and it's just not working.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cramulus

lesson?
Gin and Juice is an entire curriculum

AFK

All I know is that the lunch ladies should break into "So What'cha Want" at mealtime.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

The way I was taught, way back when Christ was just a corporal, worked just fine.

But why work with a proven method when you can do silly shit like this?
Molon Lube