News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Please Stop Making Fun of Mrs. Dikshit's Name

Started by Iason Ouabache, October 07, 2010, 09:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11490699

QuoteIndia has condemned "racist and bigoted" remarks by a New Zealand TV presenter who made fun of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's surname.

TVNZ breakfast show host Paul Henry broke into laughter a number of times as he mispronounced the surname - which sounds closer to "Dixit" in English.

He told viewers Ms Dikshit's name was "appropriate because she's Indian".

New Zealand's government has apologised for the remarks, describing them as "culturally insensitive and vulgar".

Sheila Dikshit is overseeing arrangements for the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, which have been beset by problems. She brushed off Mr Henry's remarks but said they were "not appropriate".
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Freeky

:lol:

Good for her that she's being an adult about it.

BadBeast

Racist and bigoted?  :lulz: Really? So what if one of our Atheletes had a name that sounded like "Wartycock" in Hindi? Would they be being racist for laughing?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Adios

Seriously. My maiden name is Thigpen. Get the fuck over it.

Phox

Quote from: BadBeast on October 08, 2010, 12:36:23 AM
Racist and bigoted?  :lulz: Really? So what if one of our Atheletes had a name that sounded like "Wartycock" in Hindi? Would they be being racist for laughing?

I think the "it's appropriate because she's Indian" is the insensitive part.

Adios

Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 12:46:05 AM

Streeeeeeeeeeeetch.

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 12:47:14 AM

Streeeeeeeeeeeetch.

Not saying I agree. Though, yeah, I didn't quite get that across. But the article appears to be focusing on that aspect of it, rather than the fact that it sounds funny to English speakers. I agree that the media is flipping out over what amounts to nothing more than a somewhat tasteless joke. And to me, her name sounds like "it spoke".

Nephew Twiddleton

I always thought the name Lipschitz sounded hilarious.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Phox

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 12:53:50 AM

Streeeeeeeeeeeetch.

Not saying I agree. Though, yeah, I didn't quite get that across. But the article appears to be focusing on that aspect of it, rather than the fact that it sounds funny to English speakers. I agree that the media is flipping out over what amounts to nothing more than a somewhat tasteless joke. And to me, her name sounds like "it spoke".

3rd conjugation perfect tense!

Phox

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 08, 2010, 06:50:01 PM

Streeeeeeeeeeeetch.

3rd person singular, of course.  :wink:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Phox on October 08, 2010, 06:50:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 08, 2010, 06:50:01 PM

Streeeeeeeeeeeetch.

3rd person singular, of course.  :wink:

Naturally :)

Triple Zero

Heh, they just showed that clip on TV here :lol: It's a news/media entertainment program, and I think they cut out the racist bit--or maybe I missed it, it went by pretty fast.

Just watched the clip on youtube and no, they actually cut it out! Showed it to my gf, we're both sure they used a bit before he says it as well as after. Well, it's a fast show, they usually cut stuff out, and I kinda understand cause it's basically a segment where they show funny shit that happened on TV like bloopers [Sometimes it's even just a youtube clip, as long as it's related to a current event**], so I guess they just wanted to show the funny without creating any additional controversy, people would call and send mails and such.

Aaanyway, the clip is here, the offending bit is between the 30th and 40th second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVzKihKiYI

What he says is:

"And it's so appropriate cause she's Indian. So she'd be dickin' shit, wouldn't she? Do you know what I mean? [...] Walking on the street."

:|

Hm, I think I actually agree with the editors of the show, it is a lot funnier without that bit ...

[**hmmmm that gives me an idea. Regret, you reading this? We should totally prank the media some time--just make sure we stay anonymous, we dont want Geenstijl on our doors]

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 08, 2010, 08:24:12 PM
Heh, they just showed that clip on TV here :lol: It's a news/media entertainment program, and I think they cut out the racist bit--or maybe I missed it, it went by pretty fast.

Just watched the clip on youtube and no, they actually cut it out! Showed it to my gf, we're both sure they used a bit before he says it as well as after. Well, it's a fast show, they usually cut stuff out, and I kinda understand cause it's basically a segment where they show funny shit that happened on TV like bloopers [Sometimes it's even just a youtube clip, as long as it's related to a current event**], so I guess they just wanted to show the funny without creating any additional controversy, people would call and send mails and such.

Aaanyway, the clip is here, the offending bit is between the 30th and 40th second.

What he says is:

"And it's so appropriate cause she's Indian. So she'd be dickin' shit, wouldn't she? Do you know what I mean? [...] Walking on the street."

Hm, I think I actually agree with the editors of the show, it is a lot funnier without that bit ...

[**hmmmm that gives me an idea. Regret, you reading this? We should totally prank the media some time--just make sure we stay anonymous, we dont want Geenstijl on our doors]

Yeah, it's kind of funny innocent childish humor up to that point, and then it's just so fucking heinously not funny anymore. What a complete racist asshole.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 08, 2010, 08:24:12 PM

What he says is:

I'm up for anything. What do you have in mind?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"