News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

making a little 3d by using a little 4d

Started by Disco Pickle, August 13, 2010, 07:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

What I get paid to do:

Mostly sheet metal design, which can be creatively limiting at times, but which I still
enjoy.

just thought I'd share and solicit ideas for things to build in one of the most powerful industrial 3d design programs on the planet.

I could use the practice.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Jasper

You want ideas?

How about a giant ornate steel throne set into a pyramidal plinth?  The chair at the top should be able to retract into the base structure, and there should be a swinger pad/missile command inside.

Disco Pickle

QuoteHow about a giant ornate steel throne set into a pyramidal plinth?  The chair at the top should be able to retract into the base structure, and there should be a swinger pad/missile command inside.

the awesomeness of this idea transcends belief. 

I'll start sketching it up this weekend.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Jasper

Don Coyote

Ahh sheet metal fab...how i miss that job... :cry:

Stelpa

Hows the sketching going, I can't wait to see this  :D

Disco Pickle

It got hung up on saturday modeling for a big work project, and a mushroom on sunday.  Today I did nothing but 10 hours of modeling for the same job, and after 10 hours of modeling, my eyes start to hurt.  I did some rough pencil sketches but nothing too detailed yet.  I've got it on my to do list and gave it plenty of preparatory thought during my sunday vacation.  It looks awesome in my head..  just need to start putting it in cad so I have a template to work from.  I'm a bit of a slow designer when I'm not being paid to do it, but I'll see about putting up my preliminary work sometime this week.

Stelpa

Quote from: Dr. Vrtig0 on August 17, 2010, 12:23:44 AM
It got hung up on saturday modeling for a big work project, and a mushroom on sunday.  Today I did nothing but 10 hours of modeling for the same job, and after 10 hours of modeling, my eyes start to hurt.  I did some rough pencil sketches but nothing too detailed yet.  I've got it on my to do list and gave it plenty of preparatory thought during my sunday vacation.  It looks awesome in my head..  just need to start putting it in cad so I have a template to work from.  I'm a bit of a slow designer when I'm not being paid to do it, but I'll see about putting up my preliminary work sometime this week.

Any progress is good progress, and hey; I couldn't do it! :P

Awesome of you to put work into this, it'll be worth the wait :)

Disco Pickle

QuoteAhh sheet metal fab...how i miss that job...

where and when did you do this TGB??  design side or fab side?  I actually worked for a fab co. for the last two years, then they downsized, but recommended me to a co that sends us a lot of business since they owned the same software and didn't have anyone competent to use it.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Dr. Vrtig0 on August 17, 2010, 11:39:14 PM
QuoteAhh sheet metal fab...how i miss that job...

where and when did you do this TGB??  design side or fab side?  I actually worked for a fab co. for the last two years, then they downsized, but recommended me to a co that sends us a lot of business since they owned the same software and didn't have anyone competent to use it.

I worked for a small job shop. Mostly just did the bend work for another company that made airknife enclosures, although we had a few steady jobs that we got to use how CNC punch press. We didn't do stuff quite that fancy. But it was a good job, I got to apply some trig when costumers brought retarded plans that couldn't physically exist, and I sped up how the boss made new CNC programs for the punch press.

Disco Pickle

PDF File: http://www.filesavr.com/0VJXI3IFYDTIUCM

My latest creation.  This is section A controls section for a monster size medium voltage power system going to a new VA Hospital complex being built in Orlando. I also did system B, which is basically the same model here mirrored across the Y plane, but with doors hinged on the same side.

The door cutouts are not shown as they haven't been released for production yet. 

I have to say, getting paid to do this all day is a pretty good gig.

sorry nekk, haven't had any time to devote to the pyramid throne.  We're up to our eyeballs in work at the moment.  I haven't forgotten about it though.