News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Listening

Started by Adios, October 08, 2010, 09:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Terri and I are sitting here listening to some treasures that were recently given to us. Old albums. These names will mean nothing to some of you. Flatt and Scruggs, Ernest Tubbs, Eddie Arnold, well, you get the idea.

I call it listening because with albums you can't just sit and hear, it requires participation. One has to change the albums, gently push the arm when it sticks and make sure the albums are clean.

The sound isn't the perfectly clear sound of today, but I don't think it's meant to be. When you listen to this music you read the album cover and talk about the songs.

I think this is the way music is supposed to be listened to. We have lost so much with 32 CD changers, perfectly engineered sounds and generic music. Hell, I guess I should add MP3 players as well.

This music grew up in rough dives under bridges. Honkytonks that would make Doks meetrack look tame. The kind of music for me, that tells stories of hard living and hard loving.

I am listening to old albums, and listening is a verb.

Nephew Twiddleton

Just looked up Flatt and Scruggs on youtube.

I think I'm starting to like Country music.

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

Earl Scruggs is the Daddy of Bluegrass, which is what that music is.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 10:04:48 PM
Earl Scruggs is the Daddy of Bluegrass, which is what that music is.

Ah- cool. Well, then Bluegrass is starting to grow on me.

Adios

Google Foggy Mountain Breakdown, and turn the volume up.  :)

Nephew Twiddleton

Pretty good stuff.
I'll have to explore this a bit more. Might give me something interesting to try on mandolin too.

Adios

You play mandolin??

Wabash Cannonball.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 10:15:03 PM
You play mandolin??

Wabash Cannonball.

Sort of play the mandolin. I know a couple of chords and can kinda figure out what I'm going for by trying it on guitar first. I got one to flesh out some music ideas I had that I didn't really follow up on. But- my one mandolin recording can be found in one of the earlier recordings of Hand of Eris in Music GASM. I also have an as yet unstrung used banjo that my old roommate gave to me that I have no idea what to do with as of yet.  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Good stuff!
Most of my exposure to mando has been through Zeppelin, The Tea Party (band), Irish folk music, and one Bruce Dickinson song, funny enough.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=26138.msg924139#msg924139
The mando still exists in later versions but is put through some pitch shifting and speed ups, which make it sound like some sort of synth thing.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 08, 2010, 10:27:16 PM
Good stuff!
Most of my exposure to mando has been through Zeppelin, The Tea Party (band), Irish folk music, and one Bruce Dickinson song, funny enough.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=26138.msg924139#msg924139
The mando still exists in later versions but is put through some pitch shifting and speed ups, which make it sound like some sort of synth thing.

I'll listen after done with the albums. All I play is the Native American Flute. And I suck.  :)
But it makes me happy.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 10:29:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 08, 2010, 10:27:16 PM
Good stuff!

I'll listen after done with the albums. All I play is the Native American Flute. And I suck.  :)
But it makes me happy.

Doesn't matter as long as you have fun.
I should remember my own advice when trying to push my guitar skills when practicing on my own.

Speaking of which, I should probably do some of that shortly.

Adios

Mule Skinner Blues by Dolly Parton. I haz wood.

Nephew Twiddleton

The youtube clip I found for that one had scrolling text offering RFD-TV denim caps to support "rural programming" which made me chuckle- reminds me of when I would go into record stores and see the rap, hip hop and the like lumped under "Urban." Made me think of Dolly Parton briefly as Gangsta Rap for country folk.

Salty

I enjoy Old Crow Medicine Show and Doc Watson.
Need myself a banjolele.

Even though he's country and not bluegrass, I feel I should point out that Wayne Hancock is fucking awesome.

And as to the OP, listening is a skill so many lack. Like the people to whom I must explain, and don't understand that Taylor Swift is not country...what are these people doing when that music reaches their brain?

MP3's lose much of the sound in favor of ease of portability. Which is nice, I like portability. But I like being able to listen to what a person created with their hands and soul (YEAH SOUL) more.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 08, 2010, 11:08:23 PM
The youtube clip I found for that one had scrolling text offering RFD-TV denim caps to support "rural programming" which made me chuckle- reminds me of when I would go into record stores and see the rap, hip hop and the like lumped under "Urban." Made me think of Dolly Parton briefly as Gangsta Rap for country folk.

:lulz: