News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

A Problem

Started by Jasper, October 07, 2010, 01:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Tempest Virago on October 15, 2010, 06:29:47 AM
I don't care what they wear or listen to or where they hang out. I just hate the idea that being earnest, and genuine in your tastes, is a bad thing, or somehow mock worthy. Fuck that noise.

It's like "old poster" day at PD.com!

also, ITA.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't care what they wear or listen to or where they hang out. I just hate the idea that being earnest, and genuine in your tastes, is a bad thing, or somehow mock worthy. Fuck that noise.

Well, yeah.

The thing that I think is interesting is that when we label hipsters, we are basically saying of them, "they are inauthentic, ingenuine, and unearnest". Ask a hipster why they're sporting a MacGyver T-shirt, and they will most likely say that it's because MacGyver is totally awesome and cool and they just love him. Ask why they're carrying around a vintage Diana, and they will say that it's because they love the individuality and realness of the pictures they produce. But, the person (always another hipster) doing the labeling will almost invariably say that the person they have tagged as "hipster" is wearing the MacGyver shirt ironically and using a Diana for kitsch value.

Despite the fact that there is actually nothing unearnest or ingenuine about liking irony or kitsch. Generations of hipsters have loved retro kitsch. My mother's generation wore "retro" clothes from the 30's and 40's. My mom STILL loves stuff from that era, just as I will probably still love stuff from the 50's and 60's when I'm old, and the youngest hipsters of today will still love retro kitsch from the 70's and 80's when they're old, and the babies being born now will love retro kitsch from the 90's and 00's.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, it's important to understand that the little babies who are sporting mullets and A-Team gear don't know what the word "ironic" means yet, so they're mostly using it to describe a feeling of liking something that isn't supposed to be cool, but which they like anyway because it gives them a certain feeling of nostalgia and kitsch. In fact, they really just need a few new vocabulary words to accurately describe why they like and buy the discards of the previous generation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I don't hate hipsters for being inauthentic, I hate them for being inferior.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 15, 2010, 06:33:10 PM

I hate them for being human.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:36:15 PM

:mittens: motorcycle.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 15, 2010, 06:49:49 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:36:15 PM

:mittens: motorcycle.

Different groups of humans bug me for different reasons...But they all bug me.

Hipsters bug me because of my first night in Providence.  Before that, they weren't on my radar screen.  Now, I may be wrong and bad for judging hundreds of thousands of people for the actions of less than 100 of their members, but I am what I am.

Seriously, the fuckers pretended to enjoy an hour of REALLY BAD uke playing and "ironic" rehashes of Tom Petty and Pink Floyd, but the moment Keith started to sing some really good and original work, they all got up and left.  Between Keith's sets, some came back to listen to a trustafarian do rotten things to an electric guitar that he had apparently just purchased.

That, combined with a hellish bar decorated with the very very worst things from the 70s, has put me off of hipsters for life.  However, I will admit that the youngsters committing these crimes would have been equally guilty in any other genre or setting.  They'd be the people at the science fiction convention that come to see the actors from Battlestar Galactica, and leave without listening to Ray Bradbury or Jerry Pournelle...As they have no connection to anything more than the latest, greatest, cutting edge garbage.

Fucking kids.  Get off my lawn.  :tgrr:

Molon Lube

Tempest Virago

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 02:30:08 PM

Pretty sure everyone agreed with that.

I just wanted to say it too. I feel very strongly about this.