News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

1998-1999

Started by I_Kicked_Kennedy, October 14, 2010, 12:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I_Kicked_Kennedy

If you were born between 1979-1983, pull out your CDs from your high school years and take a listen. There's a reason we dabbled in the classic rock... the rock circumstance around our time sucked, didn't it?

Jesus, I mean you look at every late adolescent hard rock culture wave up until that point it's "Hey it was _________, but we were getting laid."

Late 60's - "Hey, it was hippydom, but we were getting laid."
Mid 70's - "Hey, it was alternately turbulent and drugged induced, but we were getting laid."
Early 80's - "Hey, it was coked out, but we were getting laid."
Late 80's - "Hey, it was really coked out, but we were getting laid."
Late 80's (Private college subset) - "Hey, it was really boring, but we were wearing berets whilst getting laid." (see Uncle Buck)
Early 90's - "Hey, it was art school and melodramatic, but we were getting laid."

....?

Late 90's - "Hey, it was needlessly aggressive and misogynist, but we... um... broke a lot of shit."

I mean, it was the Napster-era. Maybe we were just dipping our toes in the sensory overload and short attention span spin, but what the fuck was all of that pissy, c-tuned, kick-things deal about?

I'm cleaning out the garage and finding CDs I know my kids won't proudly display on their wall like I did my dad's albums. They'll listen to... I dunno... Mudshovel, or something, or they'll watch footage of Woodstock '99 or Ozzfest and ask "What the hell were you guys getting all pissy about?"

We were probably pissed about how bad our era's music was. There was no fucking alternative for us. What the hell were we going to do, pull it back a couple years, wear sweaters with one stripe and finger chicks to Our Lady Peace, Live, or Matchbox 20?

Worded differently, I brought this up in another forum and I got:

"What are you talking about? Did you forget Fuel and Creed became popular around that time?"

[At that very moment, god rained blood and fire down upon his creation.]

To make matters worse, this rant has little external validity. If you weren't at that age at that time, you've blocked it out of your iPod, read this, and said "What is he talking about?"

I don't know. I got a garage full of shit I can't do shit with. That's all.
If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

East Coast Hustle

Surely you aren't disparaging the musical and cultural genius that is Fred Durst.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

While I agree with the general sentiment of your post, I don't see the need to hate on tuning down to C. Sometimes you just need shit heavier. Now mind you, successfully pulling off downtuning requires that you actually know what you're doing. Usually if you downtune it means you play like crap and can't handle a normal chord shape.

I blame Korn.

Proof:
John Petrucci- Doing 7 string right
Head and Munky- Not doing what John Petrucci is.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

You want some decent C-tuned music, skip the Nu Metal and proceed directly to doomdeath metal.

For example, the Serenades album by Anathema.  Classic!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

I_Kicked_Kennedy

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 14, 2010, 01:02:49 AM
While I agree with the general sentiment of your post, I don't see the need to hate on tuning down to C. Sometimes you just need shit heavier. Now mind you, successfully pulling off downtuning requires that you actually know what you're doing. Usually if you downtune it means you play like crap and can't handle a normal chord shape.

I blame Korn.

Proof:

Holy shit, your post reminded me of an incident I must have been blocking out of my mind for 8 years (or was lost in the haze of high quality cannabis, hash, and so-so shrooms and 2cb

3 or so years later, while I'm at college, learning what decent music is (still on the fence about my Fugazi/PieBald/Bouncing Souls phase in retrospect, however) I recall overhearing the following drunk conversation...

Raggy turtleneck and chin length hair pulled back, parted in middle: "Well, I don't think any recent artists can play as good as the bassists of the 70's, like Jaco Pastorius and [someone else he said I didn't recognize]."
Rugby shirt, sleeves pulled up, bleached white hair with horse cum loads of gel: "But think about the creativity. We got creative rockers now. I mean, Fieldy plays like no one else has ever before and Tom Morello is just so insane with all of his sounds..."
Raggy turtleneck...: "Tom Morello's a guitarist."
Rugby shit...: "I know. Right?"
If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: I_Kicked_Kennedy on October 14, 2010, 01:56:12 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 14, 2010, 01:02:49 AM

I blame Korn.

Proof:

Holy shit, your post reminded me of an incident I must have been blocking out of my mind for 8 years (or was lost in the haze of high quality cannabis, hash, and so-so shrooms and 2cb

3 or so years later, while I'm at college, learning what decent music is (still on the fence about my Fugazi/PieBald/Bouncing Souls phase in retrospect, however) I recall overhearing the following drunk conversation...

Raggy turtleneck and chin length hair pulled back, parted in middle: "Well, I don't think any recent artists can play as good as the bassists of the 70's, like Jaco Pastorius and [someone else he said I didn't recognize]."
Rugby shirt, sleeves pulled up, bleached white hair with horse cum loads of gel: "But think about the creativity. We got creative rockers now. I mean, Fieldy plays like no one else has ever before and Tom Morello is just so insane with all of his sounds..."
Raggy turtleneck...: "Tom Morello's a guitarist."
Rugby shit...: "I know. Right?"

:lulz:

Ugh. I would hardly call Fieldy's basslines creativity. Just, no... He plays like no one else has before because it's not good.

LMNO

You know, if you're talking about ROCK, then yeah. 1999 did see NIN's "Fragile", but that's about it.

However, you had Massive Attack's "Mezzanine", and Tom Waits' "Mule Variations", as well as Lauren Hill's "Miseducation".  Portishead also has their "Roseland NYC", and I'm pretty sure Radiohead was getting weird. Let me check.

Anyway, the point is, the punks had sold their guitars and bought turntables (the first Fatboy Slim record was around then), and The Prodigy was gearing up (again, I have to check).  RAWK may have sucked, but there was still good music.

Oh, and Joe Strummer's Mescaleros were kicking some ass that year, IIRC.

LMNO

"Ok Computer" and "Fat of the Land" were both '97, btw.

Rumckle

I thought Californication was pretty good, that was '99.
Also, Beck was doing a bit around the late 90s.

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 14, 2010, 02:32:36 AM
Anyway, the point is, the punks had sold their guitars and bought turntables (the first Fatboy Slim record was around then), and The Prodigy was gearing up (again, I have to check).  RAWK may have sucked, but there was still good music.

Also, this.
The new tech available allowed the start of modern electro and dance, which would mean the talented musicians to branch out from rock.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rumckle on October 14, 2010, 02:48:02 AM
I thought Californication was pretty good, that was '99.
Also, Beck was doing a bit around the late 90s.

One can not dispute tastes.

LMNO

Also, consider this: Nirvana broke in 91-92. They tried to merge Pixies with Upper NW punk/underground, and fucking exploded into the mainstream. Six years later, EVERYONE was playing "alternative" music. The rebellious noise fled the Marshall Stack Stratocaster Trio, and looked for what was more annoying. They found computers.

Don't be sad that Rawk sucked in 99. Be sad that your veiw of Transgressive Music was limited then.

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 14, 2010, 02:36:38 AM
"Ok Computer" and "Fat of the Land" were both '97, btw.

I has both.

And Fatboy Slim...and a collection of Alice in Chains Best of that was put out at that time. Oh, and Rammstein. Got that...

...All flanked with classic rock.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

as far as "C" tuned music goes, it begins and ends with Kyuss.

Blues for the Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley are the two heaviest albums ever recorded, period.

Also, whoever said that Californication was good should probably go drink a vat of clorox now.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Rumckle

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 05:53:43 AM
Also, whoever said that Californication was good should probably go drink a vat of clorox now.

:argh!:
Bite Me.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

the last yatto

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 12:57:22 AM
Surely you aren't disparaging the musical and cultural genius that is Fred Durst.

only liked that one album, The Unquestionable Truth, you know  after Wes left (who was the only one with talent) and returned... mostly cause it wasn't trying to be pop rock. Lyrics had some soul too, which is probally a first for fred.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit