News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

1998-1999

Started by I_Kicked_Kennedy, October 14, 2010, 12:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Yeah, I think the last great period for rock was that early 90s period.  There have been a few spurts afterwards as LMNO pointed out.  I'd also cite Muse, Franz Ferdinand, and there was one other band around the same time making some interesting rock, but I'm spacing out on their name.  I do have to say that the metal scene has found a way to revitalize itself since those times.  Metal too had a bit of a peak in the early 90s with the rise of many of the more extreme genres like death metal, black metal, and doom metal.  The thrash scene was peaking around then as well.  After a few listless years it began to reemerge.  I think one of the most interesting scenes to emerge in recent years is the viking metal/folk metal scene.  Some really good music there. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Pēleus on October 14, 2010, 08:49:15 AM
Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 12:57:22 AM
Surely you aren't disparaging the musical and cultural genius that is Fred Durst.

only liked that one album, The Unquestionable Truth, you know  after Wes left (who was the only one with talent) and returned... mostly cause it wasn't trying to be pop rock. Lyrics had some soul too, which is probally a first for fred.

Uhh, I was kidding. Fred Durst is the biggest toolbag since Jesse Helms.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 14, 2010, 11:15:50 AM
Yeah, I think the last great period for rock was that early 90s period.  There have been a few spurts afterwards as LMNO pointed out.  I'd also cite Muse, Franz Ferdinand, and there was one other band around the same time making some interesting rock, but I'm spacing out on their name.  I do have to say that the metal scene has found a way to revitalize itself since those times.  Metal too had a bit of a peak in the early 90s with the rise of many of the more extreme genres like death metal, black metal, and doom metal.  The thrash scene was peaking around then as well.  After a few listless years it began to reemerge.  I think one of the most interesting scenes to emerge in recent years is the viking metal/folk metal scene.  Some really good music there. 

I would not only agree, but I'd go so far as to say that right now Metal is enjoying its heyday. Musically, I don't think the scene has ever been better.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

the last yatto

You did it all for the Snookie?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

AFK

Fred Durst was essentially cut from the same cloth as Vanilla Ice.  Which is probably why he tried too hard. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Rumckle on October 14, 2010, 02:48:02 AM
I thought Californication was pretty good, that was '99.
Holy shit. This makes me feel really really old.

The only good rock albums I have that came out in '99 are Filter's "Title of Record", the Foo Fighter's "There's Nothing Left to Lose" and Rage Against the Machine's "The Battle of Los Angeles". The Slim Shady LP came out that year though. So there's that...
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

I_Kicked_Kennedy

It wasn't Rawk in the truest sense of the word, but I do have to yield to one rebuttal I just thought of this afternoon:

Flaming Lips' - Soft Bulletin

I understand that Yoshimi and Clouds were better albums, but the influence Friedman's production had on so many albums afterwords (sadly, 1/3 of those bands are on Saddle Creek) is still slowly being recognized. Soft Bulletin was a sea change for the band and indie music, imo. Some for the better, some for the worse, but hey, it was at least interesting.

It was released in 1999. I didn't find it until 2001 when Do You Realize was on the radio and I said "You mean those guys who did that She Don't Use Jelly song?"

If you knew how hard it was to admit that, you would understand how much of a Lips fan I am now.

Oh, and metal... I do have to acknowledge that there were some bands starting to light it up around that time: Converge, Sick of It All, Poison the Well, Killswitch Engage, etc. I guess my post was more referring to the popular rock. Let's be honest, we weren't listening to Propaghandi when we were 15/16/17, unless we were fortunate enough to have a cool brother 2 or three years older than us.
If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

East Coast Hustle

1) Sick of it All has been around for a LONG time, and most of their best stuff came out in the early 90's. IIRC, Scratch the Surface (which was their best album) came out in '92 or '93.

2) Some of us are only children and were still listening to Propaghandi when we were 17. Motorleague is still one of my favorite songs. OK, maybe I was 18 or 19, but by your timeline I'm probably a few years older than you anyway.

Suu

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 12:35:29 PM
Surely you aren't disparaging the musical and cultural genius that is Fred Durst.

only liked that one album, The Unquestionable Truth, you know  after Wes left (who was the only one with talent) and returned... mostly cause it wasn't trying to be pop rock. Lyrics had some soul too, which is probally a first for fred.

I had to work a Family Values show. He wasn't terrible...But I wouldn't be lying if I said I enjoyed the company of the guys from Linkin Park more.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Princess on October 15, 2010, 03:23:40 PM
Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 12:35:29 PM

I had to work a Family Values show. He wasn't terrible...But I wouldn't be lying if I said I enjoyed the company of the guys from Linkin Park more.

:facepalm:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I remember liking a lot of the music that was coming out in the late 90's, but then I don't know if you would count it as "rock", so... huh. Dunno. I think my music collection tripled from 1997-2000. I was married to an indie rock promoter part of that time, though.

As far as not getting laid, speak for yourself.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."