News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

ATTN: Trip

Started by Rumckle, October 12, 2010, 01:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

Do you know if this is real:

http://www.wimp.com/hacksnews/

If it is, I am damn impressed.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Cramulus

he might be checking in, but I'm pretty sure trip is off on vacation in Italy for a week

you may want to bump this when he gets back

Reginald Ret

It doesnt sound unlikely to me, from what i've heard the TV people here are quite incompetent.

They are quite good at making movies with too much uncomfortable sex though, that's how you know it's a dutch production.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rumckle

Quote from: Cramulus on October 12, 2010, 04:28:02 PM
he might be checking in, but I'm pretty sure trip is off on vacation in Italy for a week

you may want to bump this when he gets back

I seem to remember something like that being mentioned, lucky bastard.

Thanks for the reminder, Cram.

Rumckle

Bump, because Trip is back, or at least posting from Italy.

Triple Zero

:lulz: that's hilarious!

However I don't think it's real, because:

- if that TV Show really got hacked like that, I would figure I'd have heard about it somewhere (it's a mainstream commercial news show).
- the final frame of the clip shows a link to "itafstuderen.nl" which means "graduate-in-IT.nl" so I guess it's a viral commercial for some kind of IT trainee-ship/education company or organisation.
- the "Movie OS"* style display on the laptop. IF you were to hack into a network that contains the autocue texts, that doesn't make these texts automatically appear on your laptop in big white letters scrolling smoothly upwards, like an actual autocue, but rather in some sort of system-font. So you'd have to code extra graphics routines and a user interface to make it appear like that, and frankly I don't see why a hacker would bother if they could just be manipulating a text data stream. If they'd want to make it readable for the video demonstration, I'd enlarge the system font. It's the smooth scrolling coupled to the autocue speed that I would imagine to require slightly more (though still trivial) coding and graphics polishing that I haven't seen any hacker video demonstration put the effort in. Usually they just make a screencast + voiceover :-)
(* there's probably a trope for MovieOS, but I can't go look it up because TVTropes will suck me in for hours)
- The kid would be damn stupid to show his face like that. The TV Network would be pissed off, find him, press charges, and that's why I think a real hack should have at least generated some media attention (OTOH I did spend the last week in Italy, not watching Dutch TV :) :) )
- A quick google shows that other people assume it's fake as well: http://www.vkmag.com/magazine/geinen_met_editie_nl_autocue/ (vkmag = volkomen kut magazine = complete cunts magazine, btw)
Some of the comments on that blog explain that autocue doesn't work that way (it's not on a network, but done with video equipment).

Other than that, I think the video is quite funny :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.