News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Attn: Cramulus

Started by Adios, October 20, 2010, 02:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 20, 2010, 09:02:46 PM
It's important to have as many people registered here as possible, regardless of the quality. C'mon, you guys, an audience of retards is better than no audience at all, right?

RIGHT?

I, for one, welcome our new troll overlords.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

And I fully support this new policy of erasing posts.
Molon Lube

Cain

You know, if I had realized asking just to not immediately suspect every noob of wrongdoing without evidence would've started this shit, I wouldn't have bothered typing the post.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2010, 09:08:03 PM
You know, if I had realized asking just to not immediately suspect every noob of wrongdoing without evidence would've started this shit, I wouldn't have bothered typing the post.

Or, it wasn't your post that did it. Speaking as the OP.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2010, 09:08:03 PM

I wasn't responding to you, Cain.  You were, I felt, reasonable and polite in your request.

I had, by the way, already checked the IP of Krez, and it resolved to Baltimore, as he claimed.  However, Freeky and I had received some PMs that seemed a little creepy at first (resolved later, and found to be harmless).
Molon Lube

Jasper

In other words, this whole debacle is a misunderstanding taken to extremes.  Like it always is. 

Le Sigh.

Adios

And I haven't said shit, even with this mouthful.

Cain

I didn't know about the PMs until I read this thread.

I'd also like everyone to know that I always check the IP, email and username of anyone signing up here.  Mostly because we have so many spambots targeting the site and they are usually caught out by having similar IPs from unusual countries, or having signed up to 10,000 forums in the same week.  It also helps weed out pests, but I consider that a pleasant bonus to the main issue of keeping spam off the site.

I also still believe that publically airing suspicions without evidence is not exactly helpful and, in that position, I would also likely react negatively, despite knowing it would increase the chances of people thinking badly of me.  I just see no real gain from it.  If you have a suspicion, you can always PM me or someone else, and I will look into it, I promise.  But publically accusing someone does nothing if they are in fact the person you think they are (they're not going to admit it) and if they're not, it's only going to increase resentment and tension, which is one aim of trolling in the first place.  The probabilities show this to be a sub-optimal approach.

Which is not to say if a noob rubs you up the wrong way or acts like a moron I'm saying you shouldn't call them out on their shit or anything.  I'm just saying, if you're hoping to weed out potential returning trolls, this isn't even near the best way of doing it.

And that's all I have to say about it, really.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2010, 09:21:10 PM

I'd also like everyone to know that I always check the IP, email and username of anyone signing up here.  Mostly because we have so many spambots targeting the site and they are usually caught out by having similar IPs from unusual countries, or having signed up to 10,000 forums in the same week.  It also helps weed out pests, but I consider that a pleasant bonus to the main issue of keeping spam off the site.

I also still believe that publically airing suspicions without evidence is not exactly helpful and, in that position, I would also likely react negatively, despite knowing it would increase the chances of people thinking badly of me.  I just see no real gain from it.  If you have a suspicion, you can always PM me or someone else, and I will look into it, I promise.  But publically accusing someone does nothing if they are in fact the person you think they are (they're not going to admit it) and if they're not, it's only going to increase resentment and tension, which is one aim of trolling in the first place.  The probabilities show this to be a sub-optimal approach.

Which is not to say if a noob rubs you up the wrong way or acts like a moron I'm saying you shouldn't call them out on their shit or anything.  I'm just saying, if you're hoping to weed out potential returning trolls, this isn't even near the best way of doing it.

I give you my word I will never make another post about IP's or n00bs.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2010, 09:21:10 PM

And I agree with everything you say.  And, as I've said, I don't plan to do any of that stuff anymore, as I'm sick and damned tired of being called the bad guy...Not by you, mind you, as I said, your request was reasonable.  The follow up by Cram, though, was more than a little insulting, IMO, and it occurs to me that someone else can deal with the dumbfucks.  You've done a great job with the spambots (We haven't had one actually post in years, IIRC), but dealing with the expert Discordians is really a thankless job, and I suggest you steer clear of it, much as I intend to.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 20, 2010, 09:12:34 PM
In other words, this whole debacle is a misunderstanding taken to extremes.  Like it always is.  

Le Sigh.

Only with respect to Cain, IMO.

Cram's attempt at public humiliation left no room for misunderstanding.  This is what I get for not trusting my instincts on the earlier incident.

Molon Lube

Cain

I'm all about optimizing strategies to make mine, and everyone elses lives easier.

And besides, half of PD is convinced I'm some kind of Machiavellian schemer anyway (plus I am the guy with the disappearing button) so I doubt my reputation would take any serious hit.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 20, 2010, 09:31:31 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 20, 2010, 09:12:34 PM
In other words, this whole debacle is a misunderstanding taken to extremes.  Like it always is.  

Le Sigh.

Only with respect to Cain, IMO.

Cram's attempt at public humiliation left no room for misunderstanding.  This is what I get for not trusting my instincts on the earlier incident.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2010, 09:32:53 PM
I'm all about optimizing strategies to make mine, and everyone elses lives easier.

And besides, half of PD is convinced I'm some kind of Machiavellian schemer anyway (plus I am the guy with the disappearing button) so I doubt my reputation would take any serious hit.

But you ARE a Machiavellian schemer.  You're just OUR Machiavellian schemer.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2010, 09:32:53 PM

Being an admin is a thankless job, and somebody sure as hell has to do it. I sure as hell don't want to do it. There was no sarcasm in my reply to you.