News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Unlimited Political Candidate Fail Thread!

Started by Juana, October 20, 2010, 09:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Because not all of them are quite deserving of their own Sarah Palin/Christine O'Donnell-esque thread. Plus this one's just kind of sad.

http://gawker.com/5669021/dred-scott-is-candidates-least-favorite-recent-supreme-court-decision
Quote from: Gawker
Candidates: Please include a notecard of recent Supreme Court decisions in your debate notes? Because when you're asked, as congressional candidate Jon Runyan was yesterday, which decision of the last 10-15 years you disagree with, 1857's Dred Scott won't fly.

Runyan, a former Philadelphia Eagles football player who just retired last year, is running as a Republican in a New Jersey district represented by freshman Democrat John Adler. The candidates were able to ask each other questions, and Adler had a winner. Via the Asbury Park Press:

"Jon, it's a different branch of government, but can you give me an example from the last 10 or 15 years of a Supreme Court decision in which you strongly disagree?" Adler asked.

"That I strongly disagree with?" Runyan asked, pausing for a moment to consider the question. "Dred Scott."

There was some laughter in the audience.

"I said 10 or 15 years. . . . Dred Scott was the 1850s," Adler said, referring to the 1857 decision in which the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the practice of slavery. Runyan did not answer the question.

The video is pretty painful. There is more than "some laughter," and Runyan kind of looks around with a "What's so funny?" expression. On the other hand, at least he thinks Dred Scott was a bad decision.

edited for spelling fail
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jenne

Where is it?  *searches Google*

Ah!

http://www.frumforum.com/angle-says-hispanic-students-look-asian

QuoteThe New York Times reports:

Sharron Angle, the Republican candidate for Senate in Nevada, appears in a new video offering a strange assessment of a group of Hispanic students at a meeting last week.

The video, posted by the Nevada journalist Jon Ralston, shows Ms. Angle saying that "some of you look a little more Asian to me" at a meeting of the Hispanic Student Union at Rancho High School outside of Las Vegas.

The tape, apparently made by one of the students at the school, shows many in the audience murmuring in surprise as Ms. Angle makes the remark, which began with a comment about the need for "a sovereign nation."

"So that's what we want is a secure and sovereign nation and, you know, I don't know that all of you are Latino. Some of you look a little more Asian to me. I don't know that," Ms. Angle said. "What we know, what we know about ourselves is that we are a melting pot in this country. My grandchildren are evidence of that. I'm evidence of that. I've been called the first Asian legislator in our Nevada State Assembly."

Mr. Ralston, on his blog, notes that he has "no idea what she is talking about." Ms. Angle is white. A spokesperson for the Angle campaign could not be reached for comment.

She's a fuckin' nutball, that one.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Hover Cat on October 20, 2010, 09:40:59 PM
Because not all of them are quite deserving of their own Sarah Palin/Christine O'Donnell-esque thread. Plus this one's just kind of sad.

http://gawker.com/5669021/dred-scott-is-candidates-least-favorite-recent-supreme-court-decision
Quote from: Gawker
Candidates: Please include a notecard of recent Supreme Court decisions in your debate notes? Because when you're asked, as congressional candidate Jon Runyan was yesterday, which decision of the last 10-15 years you disagree with, 1857's Dred Scott won't fly.

Runyan, a former Philadelphia Eagles football player who just retired last year, is running as a Republican in a New Jersey district represented by freshman Democrat John Adler. The candidates were able to ask each other questions, and Adler had a winner. Via the Asbury Park Press:

"Jon, it's a different branch of government, but can you give me an example from the last 10 or 15 years of a Supreme Court decision in which you strongly disagree?" Adler asked.

"That I strongly disagree with?" Runyan asked, pausing for a moment to consider the question. "Dred Scott."

There was some laughter in the audience.

"I said 10 or 15 years. . . . Dred Scott was the 1850s," Adler said, referring to the 1857 decision in which the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the practice of slavery. Runyan did not answer the question.

The video is pretty painful. There is more than "some laughter," and Runyan kind of looks around with a "What's so funny?" expression. On the other hand, at least he thinks Dred Scott was a bad decision.

edited for spelling fail
You'd think by now that the Tea Baggers would have their talking points squared away on this one. Palin and O'Donnell have both been tripped up on this one already. He should have been coached to say "Kelo v. New London", a case almost everyone agrees was a complete disaster. Then again, Runyan get hit in the head a lot when he was playing so maybe he forgot.

Quote from: Jenne on October 21, 2010, 12:23:07 AM
Where is it?  *searches Google*

Ah!

http://www.frumforum.com/angle-says-hispanic-students-look-asian

QuoteThe New York Times reports:

Sharron Angle, the Republican candidate for Senate in Nevada, appears in a new video offering a strange assessment of a group of Hispanic students at a meeting last week.

The video, posted by the Nevada journalist Jon Ralston, shows Ms. Angle saying that “some of you look a little more Asian to me” at a meeting of the Hispanic Student Union at Rancho High School outside of Las Vegas.

The tape, apparently made by one of the students at the school, shows many in the audience murmuring in surprise as Ms. Angle makes the remark, which began with a comment about the need for “a sovereign nation.”

“So that’s what we want is a secure and sovereign nation and, you know, I don’t know that all of you are Latino. Some of you look a little more Asian to me. I don’t know that,” Ms. Angle said. “What we know, what we know about ourselves is that we are a melting pot in this country. My grandchildren are evidence of that. I’m evidence of that. I’ve been called the first Asian legislator in our Nevada State Assembly.”

Mr. Ralston, on his blog, notes that he has “no idea what she is talking about.” Ms. Angle is white. A spokesperson for the Angle campaign could not be reached for comment.

She's a fuckin' nutball, that one.
:lulz: This is the best they could come up with to get rid of Harry Reid.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘