News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

OUT OF MY CUB SCOUTS, FAG!

Started by Adios, October 20, 2010, 05:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

The father of a 9-year-old Cub Scout said Tuesday he has been forced out of a leadership role with the organization and ordered not to wear its uniform because of his sexual orientation. Jon Langbert of Dallas, Texas, who is openly gay, told HLN's "Prime News" that he had been wearing the shirt the Scouts gave him last year with pride. The shirt identified him as a member of the leadership team that was selling popcorn for a Scout fundraiser.
But that all changed last week. "Everything was running along smoothly until some of the dads complained," he said. When the complaints rose to a higher level of the Scout leadership, he was asked to stop wearing the shirt and give up his leadership role, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/19/tex...ex.html?hpt=T2

The legality of the issue was decided in 2000 in a 5-4 Supreme Court decision by then-Chief Justice William Rehnquist, which said that private organizations like the Boy Scouts can set their own membership standards.

Land of the free........and bane of the different......

Juana

I suspect that's more of a regional thing, but I know practically nothing about the scouts in general, for all that I was a girl scout. I do, however, know about six scout leaders, who I will quiz when the opportunity arises.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Adios

Juana

I'm not denying that, and I'm not suggesting that what they did is acceptable (sorry if it come off like that). It sounded to me like you were castigating the entire organization, that's all.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Adios

No, I would never do that. It just pisses me off.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I'm saying much the same thing I've said elsewhere.....

I have no issues with people's sexual persuasion.  I believe it's a you're born with that thing and if that is what the floating asshole in the sky wanted for them fine.  I have no  issues about my kids being around gay people, I have friends and my kids have friends who are openly gay and they're pretty cool with it.  The boys can be a bit homophobic at first, but after a bit they are fine.  As long as there isn't the pedo kiddy diddling, we're good.

However, this was a supreme court decision.  It was a major decision within the gay community and for this guy to act all I didn't know and get offended now, eh, I think he's looking for his 5 minutes of fame or is trying to get this reopened maybe?

I may not like the court's decision, I think it's as much of a hate crime as any other gay bashing but there are a lot of laws out there I do not agree with.

I just think making a huge fuss at this point for or against this guy's sexual freedom is media attention.  

Jasper

There are gay nine year olds?  Sorry, that just surprised me.

Ugh.  Fucking Rehnquist.  I hate him.  He also votes against the first amendment as often as possible.  

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 20, 2010, 06:46:54 PM
There are gay nine year olds?  Sorry, that just surprised me.

Ugh.  Fucking Rehnquist.  I hate him.  He also votes against the first amendment as often as possible.  

The father of a 9-year-old Cub Scout

And, Rehnquist, yeah.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

This is one of those issues that irks me no matter how it goes. On the one hand, 'freedom to be an ass' is still a freedom and a private organization should be free to have members based on whatever they want.  However, there's no question that, at the same time, its discrimination.

It's like the KKK's hate speech. I don't like, I think the people that do it are bigoted and stupid (and homophobic in this case)... but its still a question of freedom. If we defend only the freedom we like, that's a bad plan.

:argh!: :cry: :argh!:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

Quote from: Kiaransalee on October 20, 2010, 06:45:27 PM

I have no issues with people's sexual persuasion.  I believe it's a you're born with that thing and if that is what the floating asshole in the sky wanted for them fine.  I have no  issues about my kids being around gay people, I have friends and my kids have friends who are openly gay and they're pretty cool with it.  The boys can be a bit homophobic at first, but after a bit they are fine.  As long as there isn't the pedo kiddy diddling, we're good.

However, this was a supreme court decision.  It was a major decision within the gay community and for this guy to act all I didn't know and get offended now, eh, I think he's looking for his 5 minutes of fame or is trying to get this reopened maybe?

I may not like the court's decision, I think it's as much of a hate crime as any other gay bashing but there are a lot of laws out there I do not agree with.

I just think making a huge fuss at this point for or against this guy's sexual freedom is media attention.  

Because all gays are pedophiles. Check.

Jasper

OH.

*bangs head*  Nice, reading comprehension, scholar.  :lol:

Adios

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 20, 2010, 06:56:41 PM
This is one of those issues that irks me no matter how it goes. On the one hand, 'freedom to be an ass' is still a freedom and a private organization should be free to have members based on whatever they want.  However, there's no question that, at the same time, its discrimination.

It's like the KKK's hate speech. I don't like, I think the people that do it are bigoted and stupid (and homophobic in this case)... but its still a question of freedom. If we defend only the freedom we like, that's a bad plan.

:argh!: :cry: :argh!:

Hmmmm, how did that work for private golf courses not allowing blacks in?

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 20, 2010, 06:57:40 PM
Quote from: Kiaransalee on October 20, 2010, 06:45:27 PM

Because all gays are pedophiles. Check.

WTF?  I did not say that.  I said as long as there isn't anything like that.  And that was not intended that way and I really think you know it!

Adios

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 20, 2010, 07:13:17 PM
:lulz:

Gotcha.

Dude, damn.....

BITE ME!!! I want a stick out your tongue rasberry smiley dammit!!!!

:lulz: