News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

BREAKING: I JUST FOUND A GIF!

Started by GIGGLES, October 25, 2010, 06:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Disco Pickle on August 09, 2011, 02:30:33 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 09, 2011, 02:17:55 AM
Quote from: Disco Pickle on August 09, 2011, 02:13:48 AM
that's cool as hell.

It was until the Europeans fucked it all up at the end.

Whatever, languages evolve.  Even when the Europeans did it.

Dammit Phoxy, you're supposed to be in this thread, not me. 

I know fuck all about languages and you're my PD guide

:lulz: :lulz:

Yeah, those letters aren't all necessarily related. The issue with the evolution of the alphabet is that it is cyclical. In the earliest languages, single letters stood for single sounds, but as languages evolved, certain letters began standing for multiple sounds. This of course started to get confusing, so U,W, and J were added to represent different pronunciations of "v" and consonantal "i" respectively. But language further evolved, and so further markings were added to indicate certain pronuciation, such as the cédille that indicates a soft "c" in French (except in front of certain vowels, when it is always soft).  Similarly, note the pronunciation of "j" as a soft "g" in some words, but as consonantal "i" in others, depending on the parent language.

In short, alphabets get more confusing as languages evolve, even when they are trying to become less confusing.

Or rather, because of a common alphabet across a series of distinct language families, we are fucked forever.  :lulz:

Doktor Howl

that's cool as hell.

Bullshit.  Jesus invented the English language 2000 years ago, and it was perfect until the Europeans spagged it up.  Fortunately, we were able to contain the damage at the Canadian border.
Molon Lube

Phox

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 09, 2011, 05:20:17 PM
that's cool as hell.

Bullshit.  Jesus invented the English language 2000 years ago, and it was perfect until the Europeans spagged it up.  Fortunately, we were able to contain the damage at the Canadian border.
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Phox on August 09, 2011, 05:24:35 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 09, 2011, 05:20:17 PM
that's cool as hell.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I have a copy of the New Testament.

It is written IN ENGLISH, without all those fruity little symbols above the letters.

QED.  <--- That's a bit of Latin, which is what they spoke before Jesus fixed things.
Molon Lube

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Salty

:argh!:
I watched that thing for a good five minutes looking for the part where he breaks his face open.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Pope Pixie Pickle

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Freeky

BadBeast

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on August 10, 2011, 09:05:01 PM
Oh.  My.  GOD.   :lulz:
What?  Did you think we select our Police Officers for their intelligence? If having a brain was necessary for the job, no-one would apply for it. No, these men are specially picked for their lack of cognitive and social skills, and their unquestioning obedience and respect for the chain of command. If British Coppers were capable of thinking about things, they'd have thought about them already, and joined the Circus instead.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Triple Zero

These British coppers though? Also the door-kicking guy seems to be dressed in camouflage garb?

I can kinda sympathize, though. I mean why bother with the handle IF YOU CAN FUCKING KICK THE DOOR IN--except it's kinda important [for style] to actually succeed at it, of course.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

BadBeast

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 12, 2011, 03:27:20 PM
These British coppers though? Also the door-kicking guy seems to be dressed in camouflage garb?

I can kinda sympathize, though. I mean why bother with the handle IF YOU CAN FUCKING KICK THE DOOR IN--except it's kinda important [for style] to actually succeed at it, of course.
Those aren't British Scuffers, (The badges and hats are wrong) but they obviously share their gene pool in some dark twisted way.

navkat