News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Woman falls off horse, picks up her own head

Started by Iason Ouabache, October 28, 2010, 03:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/woman-picked-up-own-head-after-horse-fall/story-e6frfku0-1225944333785

QuoteA HORRIFIC fall from a horse left a woman with such a severely broken neck she was forced to pick up her own head.

Thea Maxfield, who runs a stud farm in Oxfordshire, England, suffered a "hangman's break" a clean break of the upper cervical vertebra when she fell from her dressage horse.

She tried to get out of the animal's way as it galloped around after the fall, but when she tried to pick herself up, the horrified 26-year-old found her head stayed where it was.

Realising she had to move to avoid being stomped on, Ms Maxfield cupped her hands around her own head and lifted it into place to avoid damaging her spinal cord.

"As soon as I came off the horse I knew something was wrong. I went to get up but my head stayed on the floor,'' she told the Daily Express.

"I couldn't move my neck or my head and I had to literally pick my head up and carry it in my hands."

After managing to stagger to safety, Maxfield, watched by her frightened mother Diane, 66, was taken to hospital.

Doctors initially warned she may be permanently paralysed.

But incredibly after using a revolutionary fixed brace connected to a computer by tiny sensors for three months to help fuse the bones back together, she is now back riding seven months after the accident.

:x :x :x
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Freeky

Cainad (dec.)

Holy crap.

This give me a squirmy, icky feeling in my spine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

The Optimist says "She's got a golden ass."

The Pessimist says "She's used up all the luck her family will have for the next 6 generations".
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 28, 2010, 04:56:07 AM

The Pessimist says "She's used up all the luck her family will have for the next 6 generations".

:x :x :x :x :x :horrormirth:

Jasper

If that ever happened to me, I'd have a heyday starting with "lose me own head next..."

Elder Iptuous

ultimate bar story, that's for sure.

also, BRASS NUTS for getting back on a horse again!  that's a tough woman!

Cain

I heard a similar story from WWII.  They had the barrage balloons up, but aircraft fire had shredded the steel cables used to hold them in place, so it was floating loose.  One of these cables struck a woman on the back of the neck very hard.  Her hands went up to her head and she held it in place until she could get to a hospital.  I cant remember the exact specifics of the damage she suffered, but it was life-threatening, if not for her actions.

Jasper

That makes three cases where Ive heard of someone having this happening and surviving, and no cases where they didn't.

I guess those ones don't make news.   :lol:

Triple Zero

It could also be because we actually don't need spines.

It could be a big hoax perpetrated by physiotherapists and the like.

Maybe those shapeless blobs in funny carts at Wal-Mart know something we don't?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.