News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Obama on Daily Show

Started by Golden Applesauce, October 28, 2010, 04:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

I didn't see a thread about this yet, sorry for double thread if that's the case.

But come to IRC and discuss it!

On now and nothing special has happened yet.

ETA: never mind, it was really short and not much happened.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Kai

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on October 28, 2010, 04:10:01 AM
I didn't see a thread about this yet, sorry for double thread if that's the case.

But come to IRC and discuss it!

On now and nothing special has happened yet.

ETA: never mind, it was really short and not much happened.

Did everything fall apart?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

E.O.T.

YOU'LL

have to read, instead of watch, but it's good too

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/transcript-of-president-barack-obama-with-univision.html

EPS:               When is it going to happen? You will tell me after this.

[COMMERCIAL BREAK]

POTUS:         Well, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna see how well we do in this election and I think a lot of it is gonna depend on whether we still have some support not only from Democrats, but also Republicans, but they're gonna be paying attention to this election. And if Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, we're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us, if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it's gonna be harder and that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2.

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Freeky

Jasper

I wonder if he trains to have such long sentences.

Disco Pickle

I really wish the prez would have mentioned the fact that monetary policy was the biggest contributor to the current problem, and that his economics team had a plan to prevent it from happening again.

The pickle thinks too wishful from politicians.
:sad:
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

E.O.T.

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 28, 2010, 05:21:54 AM
I wonder if he trains to have such long sentences.

LAW

skule
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Golden Applesauce

I spent the entire interview frothing over focus on economy / healthcare, and not on continuation of Bush-era secretive overreach of executive powers.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on October 28, 2010, 01:28:46 PM
I spent the entire interview frothing over focus on economy / healthcare, and not on continuation of Bush-era secretive overreach of executive powers.

THIS.

"O BARRY TELL ME AGAIN HOW YOU SAVED ME FROM DYING IN THE GUTTER OF A CURABLE DISEASE!"

WELL, BY FORCING YOU TO BUY INSURANCE FROM A CORRUPT INDUSTRY INSTEAD OF JUST SPENDING ALL THAT CASH THAT'S BEING WASTED ON MEDICARE/MEDICAID ON A SINGLE-PAYER SYSTEM INSTEAD.

"YOU HAVE SUCH WHITE TEETH MR. PRESIDENT, HOW DO YOU KEEP THEM SO SPARKLING CLEAN?"

I DECLARE YOU A TERRORIST! LOL NO COURT CAN DENY THE POWERS OF JUDGE DREDD I MEAN, BARACK OBAMA! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

The dude had some fire when he ran and won the Presidency.  Who the fuck put that out?  It seems like it was virtually the next day or something.  Does he even give a shit whether or not the GOP and their TP pets win majorities in one or both houses?  I mean, he wants to fire people up so they get to the polls and vote.  Maybe he should fire himself up first. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 28, 2010, 02:06:01 PM
The dude had some fire when he ran and won the Presidency.  Who the fuck put that out?  It seems like it was virtually the next day or something.  Does he even give a shit whether or not the GOP and their TP pets win majorities in one or both houses?  I mean, he wants to fire people up so they get to the polls and vote.  Maybe he should fire himself up first. 

He's probably still holding out hope that the GOP will see the light of "postpartisanship." Besides, with a GOP-controlled Congress, what's the worst that could happen? Obama continues to give away the substance of reform in return for token votes from Republicans who hate him anyway, and the Right Wing gets what they want for at least another 2 years? It isn't like Obama's actually standing up against them on much of anything anyway.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

the dems have an interesting problem

how to get people fired up when they haven't had any fire since the election

They can't talk about the economy
--because although Obama may (or may not) have forestalled complete economic disaster, it's impossible to compare what happened to what could have happened

They can't blame it on bush
--for one because Jon Stewart yelled at Axelrod about that being a piss poor platform
--for two because a lot of people are worse off right now than they were during the bush years

if you ask me, DADT is a step in the right direction, student loan reform was a step in the right direction, but neither of those things actually effect my life on a day to day basis so whooo cares.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cramulus on October 28, 2010, 04:33:25 PM

--because although Obama may (or may not) have forestalled complete economic disaster, it's impossible to compare what happened to what could have happened

--for one because Jon Stewart yelled at Axelrod about that being a piss poor platform
--for two because a lot of people are worse off right now than they were during the bush years

if you ask me, DADT is a step in the right direction, student loan reform was a step in the right direction, but neither of those things actually effect my life on a day to day basis so whooo cares.

other than the fed gov now being the ones giving out the loans, capping payments @ 10% of disposable, and shrinking the forgiveness threshold to 20 years from 25, I don't see how there was a whole lot of reform.

If you default or are even a little late, you're still fucked it's just that now it will be the government coming after you.  No matter how dire your financial straights, they'll squeeze blood from any rocks you have available.

still can't have it written off in bankruptcy.

If it goes to collections, you can bet your ass the fed gov is still going to tack on a percentage before they sell the debt to a 3rd PCA, and that CA is going to tack on another and call it the cost of doing business.

Pell Grants will still never keep up with the ridiculous rise in the cost of higher education, much less the inflation in the system.

The legislation doesn't effect me as I was never stupid enough to take out a loan to fund college, but it damn sure effects a LOT of people, more now that on line colleges are becoming all the rage.

I wont even get in to accreditation problems that abound that probably should have been addressed.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mangrove

Quote from: Cramulus on October 28, 2010, 04:33:25 PM

Silver lining: You have a wider choice of potential gay husbands who are both educated and trained to use automatic weapons.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO