News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Why is there a hurricane over Minnesota?

Started by Iason Ouabache, October 28, 2010, 04:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

For some weird ass reason there is a "land hurrciane" over Minnesota and Wisconisn right now. Which one of you spags is responsible for this???

Linky: http://www.startribune.com/blogs/105795173.html

QuoteOctober Superstorm. Lowest Pressure On Record For The USA. Welcome to the Land of 10,000 Weather Extremes. Yesterday a rapidly intensifying storm, a "bomb", spun up directly over the MN Arrowhead, around mid afternoon a central pressure of 953 millibars was observed near Orr. That's 28.14" of mercury. Bigfork, MN reported 955 mb, about 28.22" of mercury. The final (official) number may be closer to 28.20-28.22", but at some point the number becomes academic. What is pretty much certain is that Tuesday's incredible storm marks a new record for the lowest atmospheric pressure ever observed over the continental USA. That's a lower air pressure than most hurricanes, which is hard to fathom.

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Doktor Howl

Good thing climate change is just a liberal myth.   :lulz:

Poor Pop Tard.
Molon Lube

Kai

My parents told me this was coming, Monday night. They were going to bolt everything down in preparation, and hope the trees didn't fall on their property.

Long story short: Huge barometric pressure drop, leading to high winds.

Who's the wind god, again? It's too early for Aput, but apparently he's been sulking around the Dakotas, waiting for colder weather.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Golden Applesauce

Over in Dayton we just felt this huge fucking windstorm (with a little rain.)  Stuff was blowing horizontally.

We all had to take shelter in the library basement, it was fun.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 28, 2010, 04:57:17 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 28, 2010, 04:56:28 AM
Who's the wind god, again?

Ron Paul.   :lulz:

I should have known.  :lulz:

List of weather god/desses:

Aput: Snow, sleet, slush.
Pixie: Rain and other wet inclement stuff.
RonPaul: Wind(bag).

Note, I had RonPaul as two words, but it just seemed better as one.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Freeky

Speaking of hurricanes, where the fuck is my oil-lit-on-fire-by-lightning hurricane? I totally passed up on a golden opportunity.

Mistress Freeky,
Total n00b fire goddess.

:horrormirth:

Suu

I think the Storm of the Century still beats it, aka the 1993 Superstorm or the Unnamed Storm. It slammed into Tampa Bay as a Category 3 extratropical hurricane in March and then shot up the coast and made a Nor'easter of the same strength. Sick.

It came out of fucking nowhere, and we were moving that weekend. I will never forget it. It's a great way to find out just how bad the storm surge is in your new neighborhood before the actual season starts.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/primer/winter/century.html

This sucker over MN looks interesting through.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Iason Ouabache

Link is borked now. It was somewhere on here though: http://www.startribune.com/weather/blogs/Paul_Douglas_on_Weather.html

Quote from: Suu Long, Suckers. on October 28, 2010, 12:42:25 PM
I think the Storm of the Century still beats it, aka the 1993 Superstorm or the Unnamed Storm. It slammed into Tampa Bay as a Category 3 extratropical hurricane in March and then shot up the coast and made a Nor'easter of the same strength. Sick.

It came out of fucking nowhere, and we were moving that weekend. I will never forget it. It's a great way to find out just how bad the storm surge is in your new neighborhood before the actual season starts.

This sucker over MN looks interesting through.
The pressure in this system is lower than the Storm of the Century, which doesn't seem possible. SOC probably had more rain and wind though since it was over the Atlantic.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Richter

That explains how the Northeast US has had 70 degree weather in late October then
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

AFK

Yep, 67 and foggy right now.

Also, in that graphic in the OP it kind of looks like a fingerprint.  Perhaps God was trying to touch/smash Michelle Bachman. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.