News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

The Less Wrong Wiki

Started by Cain, June 28, 2010, 12:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Really?  That's so weird.  My Stanza program didn't even see it.

Let me see what formats it supports.

...you know, it might be that the tag is ".docx".  Sometimes, if it change the tags, that works.  Let me try again when I get home.

Then again, maybe my Open Office program can open it.  More exploring needed.

Cain

OpenOffice doesn't support .docx as far as I'm aware, only .doc, which is the Word 2003 and 97 default format (yes, they made it different, just to force people to update).

So anyway here is the slightly larger .doc format, just for you http://ifile.it/5jsuxta

LMNO

You are a very nice person, and I want to feed you scotch.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cain on October 05, 2010, 04:38:11 PM
OpenOffice doesn't support .docx as far as I'm aware, only .doc, which is the Word 2003 and 97 default format (yes, they made it different, just to force people to update).

So anyway here is the slightly larger .doc format, just for you http://ifile.it/5jsuxta

Open Office supports it, as well as it ever supported .doc anyway.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

That must be a new feature then, as previous versions did not.

Also, this is worth looking at http://lesswrong.com/lw/2un/references_resources_for_lesswrong/  It's basically a site-map.

Iason Ouabache

I had to convert to .doc in order to send it to my Kindle. Here's a copy if anyone wants it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QDCUK1AB

For some reason I had to go through and delete A LOT of empty space between articles. Something weird must have happened when I converted it.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Word 2007 has a weird formatting system, changing things into Word 2003 always leaves blank spaces a plenty, in my experience.

Remington

Possibly relevant areticle, I found it quite interesting.

http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html
QuoteFirst, picture a monkey. A monkey dressed like a little pirate, if that helps you. We'll call him Slappy.

Imagine you have Slappy as a pet. Imagine a personality for him. Maybe you and he have little pirate monkey adventures and maybe even join up to fight crime. Think how sad you'd be if Slappy died.

Now, imagine you get four more monkeys. We'll call them Tito, Bubbles, Marcel and ShitTosser. Imagine personalities for each of them now. Maybe one is aggressive, one is affectionate, one is quiet, the other just throws shit all the time. But they're all your personal monkey friends.

Now imagine a hundred monkeys.

Not so easy now, is it? So how many monkeys would you have to own before you couldn't remember their names? At what point, in your mind, do your beloved pets become just a faceless sea of monkey? Even though each one is every bit the monkey Slappy was, there's a certain point where you will no longer really care if one of them dies.

So how many monkeys would it take before you stopped caring?

That's not a rhetorical question. We actually know the number.

QuoteConversely, some people in the distant past naively thought they could sit all of the millions of monkeys down and say, "Okay, everybody go pick the bananas, then bring them here, and we'll distribute them with a complex formula determining banana need! Now go gather bananas for the good of society!" For the monkeys it was a confused, comical, tree-humping disaster.

Later, a far more realistic man sat the monkeys down and said, "You want bananas? Each of you go get your own. I'm taking a nap." That man, of course, was German philosopher Hans Capitalism.

As long as everybody gets their own bananas and shares with the few in their Monkeysphere, the system will thrive even though nobody is even trying to make the system thrive. This is perhaps how Ayn Rand would have put it, had she not been such a hateful bitch.

Is it plugged in?

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Remington on October 27, 2010, 05:49:23 PM

QuoteFirst, picture a monkey. A monkey dressed like a little pirate, if that helps you. We'll call him Slappy.

Imagine you have Slappy as a pet. Imagine a personality for him. Maybe you and he have little pirate monkey adventures and maybe even join up to fight crime. Think how sad you'd be if Slappy died.

Now, imagine you get four more monkeys. We'll call them Tito, Bubbles, Marcel and ShitTosser. Imagine personalities for each of them now. Maybe one is aggressive, one is affectionate, one is quiet, the other just throws shit all the time. But they're all your personal monkey friends.

Not so easy now, is it? So how many monkeys would you have to own before you couldn't remember their names? At what point, in your mind, do your beloved pets become just a faceless sea of monkey? Even though each one is every bit the monkey Slappy was, there's a certain point where you will no longer really care if one of them dies.

QuoteConversely, some people in the distant past naively thought they could sit all of the millions of monkeys down and say, "Okay, everybody go pick the bananas, then bring them here, and we'll distribute them with a complex formula determining banana need! Now go gather bananas for the good of society!" For the monkeys it was a confused, comical, tree-humping disaster.

Later, a far more realistic man sat the monkeys down and said, "You want bananas? Each of you go get your own. I'm taking a nap." That man, of course, was German philosopher Hans Capitalism.

As long as everybody gets their own bananas and shares with the few in their Monkeysphere, the system will thrive even though nobody is even trying to make the system thrive. This is perhaps how Ayn Rand would have put it, had she not been such a hateful bitch.

This may sound strange, but that is exactly why I can't understand why people care about celebrities.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 28, 2010, 06:01:46 PM
Quote from: Remington on October 27, 2010, 05:49:23 PM

This may sound strange, but that is exactly why I can't understand why people care about celebrities.

Because celebrities get LOTS and LOTS of bananas... they get bananas thrown at them on stage with room keys. Also, celebrity monkeys can get lots of monkey sex if they want...

There was a recent study on mirror neurons where they noticed brain activity was similar for a monkey getting a banana, and a monkey watching another monkey get a banana.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson