News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

My pizza dough sucks wieners for fiddle faddle.

Started by Jasper, October 29, 2010, 09:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Fuck those guys. I was informed by very reliable sources that they stole several recipes from me when I had my pizzeria.

They do make a good crust though.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Precious Moments Zalgo

This is the pizza dough I made today, taking some ideas from this thread.  It took me 7 days to make this dough, but I was very happy with how the pizza turned out.

I started with a gallon Ziplock bag containing a small amount of frozen sourdough starter.

7 days prior:
Thaw sourdough starter.
Add 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp milk.
Mush by hand.
Place 1 large sprig fresh rosemary and 2 peeled cloves of garlic in a small tupperware container, and cover with 1/4 cup olive oil.  Place cover on container.  Keep someplace cool and dark.

6 days prior:
Burp bag as necessary, mush by hand.

5 days prior:

4 days prior:
Add 1 tbsp sugar, 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 cup lukewarm water.

3 days prior:

2 days prior:
Add 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp milk.

1 day prior:
Put 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour in a non-metallic mixing bowl.
Add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to mixing bowl.
Scoop out 1 cup sourdough starter from bag.  Freeze the remainder.
Add 8 oz beer.   Drink remaining 4 oz.  I used Magic Hat #9, but anything light and not strongly hopped will do.
Stir until well mixed.  Cover with a towel and keep someplace warm.

2 hours prior:
Strain olive oil from the first day into the mixture.
Add 2 tsp sea salt.
Mix well with wooden spoon.
Mix in 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
Mix in 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, or until it is impossible to stir with your spoon.
Turn out onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
Divide dough into two equal portions.  Use knife, don't tear or mash.
Shape into smooth balls and place in well oiled non-metallic mixing bowl.
Cover with towel and keep someplace warm.

Time to make the pizza:
Punch the dough balls down.
For each ball,
   Roll into a small disks.
   Stretch or toss by hand.
   Dust pizza stone with cornmeal, and place crust upon it.
   With a fork, lightly tap the crust all over except for the outermost 1/2 inch.
   Brush crust with olive oil.
   Add sauce and toppings.
   Bake in 425F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
   Let stand 5 minutes, then slice and serve
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Whatever

Where did you find the frozen sourdough starter?  Does it taste the same after being frozen?  I can't help but think it would lose something by freezing it, but I honestly don't know enough about starters to say.

Otherwise I love sourdough and that recipe, while a bit time consuming, can only be delicious in the end.  I imagine you could make a lot more than pizza with that dough huh?

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Niamh on November 09, 2010, 07:25:05 PM
Where did you find the frozen sourdough starter?  Does it taste the same after being frozen?  I can't help but think it would lose something by freezing it, but I honestly don't know enough about starters to say.

Otherwise I love sourdough and that recipe, while a bit time consuming, can only be delicious in the end.  I imagine you could make a lot more than pizza with that dough huh?
Someone gave it to my wife along with a recipe for Amish Friendship Bread.  After you finish making this recipe, you end up with four starters.  You keep one for yourself, and give the other three plus copies of the instructions to three friends.  So, this starter propagates much like a chain letter.

Freezing doesn't hurt it.  It's basically just yeast, lactobacillus (lactic acid bacteria), and some other microbes in a medium of flour and milk or water.  Freezing just makes them go dormant.  After it thaws out, I feed it with the tbsp each of milk, flour, and sugar, and that gets them eating and reproducing again.

I made the Amish Friendship Bread recipe, and I have made regular sourdough bread with this starter.  This was the first time I made pizza dough with it.

It took a long time, but almost all of it was spent waiting.  Those little guys can be a bit sluggish when they first thaw out.  The only reason I freeze it is because I tend to go weeks without using it.  If I were making a lot of sourdough, I would keep the starter at room temperature and replenish the flour and water as I use it, and then I could make sourdough every 1-2 days.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.